Vessel closest to escaping Kerbolar SOI?

Fluke

I have yet to figure out doing screenshots here. I'm really interested in seeing what happens if someone can cross the SOI for the Kerbolar system. I swear the game will just shut the computer down or you'll magically find debeb. 

I have a hydrogen ship that got krakened out from Kerbol orbit at arpund 60k m/s, I'm pretty far away from the entire system. 

So how's this, let's start a thread to see who can get to the SOI without cheats. Something HAS to happen! :D

Someone did it on Facebook not long after release. Don't remember the result though, other than some instruments glitching out.

I've managed to speed up to 20km/s beyond Eeloo orbit and time to the edge of SOI was 55 thousand years.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Someone did it on Facebook not long after release. Don't remember the result though, other than some instruments glitching out.

I've managed to speed up to 20km/s beyond Eeloo orbit and time to the edge of SOI was 55 thousand years.

I don't think the edge is the SOI, I think its interstellar distances 

20/300.000 * 55.000=3.66 light years finding the fraction of light speed you travel. Multiply with years traveled and you get distance in LY. Well 3.6 LY is almost at Alpha Centauri who would have its own SOI.

I guess we get an pretty arbitrary SOI of stars, SOI ends at an gravity level so the SOI will not overlap while also large enough to enable binary stars like Alpha Centauri. I guess .5-1 LY. 
Alpha Centauri B would have an much smaller SOI as its limited by A's gravity not the weak cutout point. 

If it wasn't for Alpha Centauri, solar gravitational influence would extend waaay beyond that. You could still orbit the sun at few meters per second about 4ly from it if there weren't any other forces affecting the spacecraft.

The tricky part of having multiple stars in random directions, having their own SOIs, is that they cannot overlap, and there can't be areas "free" of any gravity. Guess we'll see what happens when Debdeb arrives.

13 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

20/300.000 * 55.000=3.66 light years

Did you take shorter Kerbal year into account?

I had Jeb fall through the top of one of Dres’ equatorial mountains and get yeeted out of the system at  1,294 km/s, or 0.00431 c.  He’s about half way to Kerbin SOI at the moment.  What’s interesting is that his trajectory line goes straight out of the system, and it has a bit of a twinkling effect at the very end.  The farthest out I’ve been able to drop a point along Jeb’s trajectory is 18,881,222 years out.  Assuming that’s close to the end of the trajectory, and the twinkling is the maximum distance the game will simulate, I’m wondering whether 18-20 real-world light years might be  the outer limit of the interstellar volume in the game.  

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

1 hour ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

He’s about half way to Kerbin SOI at the moment.  

Wish I was that far out, I'll dpuble check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I'm at .2 c!

My maneuver node says 22 thousand years if I place it on the bubble.

Edited by Fluke

So annoying bit: with infinite fuel, game won’t time warp while accelerating. That said, I’m at 400 km/s, gonna leave him accellerating at like 20-30gs for a while then time warp to edge of SOI. One weird thing- my orbit line is sort of… thickening… the further away from my craft it gets.

Doing this in the last version caused the orbits of some as-of-yet unreleased planets to show up and it bugged the map UI out. Stratzenblitz recorded it first, I tested it myself (with the help of KSP 2's time warp editor :Dand sure enough, it happens when you leave Kerbol. Interestingly enough, it still shows you as escaping Kerbol from the tracking station. Not sure if this still happens in the current version.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Doing this in the last version caused the orbits of some as-of-yet unreleased planets to show up and it bugged the map UI out. Stratzenblitz recorded it first, I tested it myself (with the help of KSP 2's time warp editor :Dand sure enough, it happens when you leave Kerbol. Interestingly enough, it still shows you as escaping Kerbol from the tracking station. Not sure if this still happens in the current version.

Link please!

Currently timewarping. Should reach edge of Kerbol SOI in ~1hour at 1,000,000x speed. Will post result.

Edit- writing up the whole thing right now. Weird stuff happened.

Edit 2- I just read OP and it says "So how's this, let's start a thread to see who can get to the SOI without cheats." I used infinite fuel hack, and my thing wasn't really a build challenge, more of an experiment. I'm going to move the results of my experiment to its own thread, and keep this one for people trying to do it without my quick and dirty fuel hack.

Edited by VlonaldKerman

1 hour ago, VlonaldKerman said:

Edit 2- I just read OP and it says "So how's this, let's start a thread to see who can get to the SOI without cheats." I used infinite fuel hack, and my thing wasn't really a build challenge, more of an experiment. I'm going to move the results of my experiment to its own thread, and keep this one for people trying to do it without my quick and dirty fuel hack.

I more meant like spawning a vessel way out or something. Amazing mission report! I'm still convinced there's more to see! Best of luck! And thank you!

8 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I more meant like spawning a vessel way out or something. Amazing mission report! I'm still convinced there's more to see! Best of luck! And thank you!

Thank you! I wouldn't have thought to do this if it wasn't for your post. I'm currently burning retrograde as we speak. As soon as I get to a respectable velocity I'll start timewarping again.

7 minutes ago, VlonaldKerman said:

Thank you! I wouldn't have thought to do this if it wasn't for your post. I'm currently burning retrograde as we speak. As soon as I get to a respectable velocity I'll start timewarping again.

Now all we need is @Nate Simpson to hop in and say "you'll never get there, it's too far" :joy:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.