un-able to record gameplay

GizmoMagui

all recording software can and will record this is fine but there is a fault within  how its depicting game window.

Nvidia has a privacy setting to enable the user if they wish to record desktop or not. The game will not record and it will end up record my desktop as well as the game. The problem is i do not want to record my desktop therefore there is a bug where i can't record without  it prompting me to record my desktop. 

side note:
fullscreen, borderless, window all ask for permission to record desktop. ( i do not) 
side side note: 
if i go into the BOOT file and change (wait-for-native-debugger= from a 0 to a 1) and apply this im able to record fullscreen without it asking to record desktop.  but all other modes this does not help  borderless or window and keeps asking to record desktop while i do not want to

conclusion:
the whole windows game setup for the game itself is wrong or bad or cheap and should be addressed.

what i want:
to be able to record the game in all types of resolutions  with borderless or window mode enabled  without recording my desktop or prompting to ask permission to record desktop   

5 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

I use OBS. I can tell it to record only the windows I ask. Beyond that, I use Blender to edit out sections I don't want to publish.

i use OBS for streams not recording cuz the quality is worse as well it does not support HDR as well, i use Nvidia for recording and no edits after pure file gets uploaded.

edit: while it can do HDR its not worth it. Nvidia is just overall better with its encoder 

Edited by GizmoMagui

1 minute ago, GizmoMagui said:

i use OBS for streams not recording cuz the quality is worse as well it does not support HDR as well, i use Nvidia for recording and no edits after pure file gets uploaded.

I seem to be able to find a few resources that do say that OBS does support HDR. 

One here: How To Record HDR Content Using OBS Studio (streamershaven.blog)

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I'll be following to see if you resolve this. I'm interested and might learn something.

43 minutes ago, GizmoMagui said:

all recording software can and will record this is fine but there is a fault within  how its depicting game window.

Nvidia has a privacy setting to enable the user if they wish to record desktop or not. The game will not record and it will end up record my desktop as well as the game. The problem is i do not want to record my desktop therefore there is a bug where i can't record without  it prompting me to record my desktop. 

side note:
fullscreen, borderless, window all ask for permission to record desktop. ( i do not) 
side side note: 
if i go into the BOOT file and change (wait-for-native-debugger= from a 0 to a 1) and apply this im able to record fullscreen without it asking to record desktop.  but all other modes this does not help  borderless or window and keeps asking to record desktop while i do not want to

conclusion:
the whole windows game setup for the game itself is wrong or bad or cheap and should be addressed.

what i want:
to be able to record the game in all types of resolutions  with borderless or window mode enabled  without recording my desktop or prompting to ask permission to record desktop   

I'm running windows borderless - game is in fullscreen.  I just hit Alt+F9 and Nvidia starts recording.  Only seems to be recording the game... but I'm quite new at this.  My vids only show what I see on the screen, which is the game.

It could be recording desktop - don't know.

What's the difference?

11 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

I seem to be able to find a few resources that do say that OBS does support HDR. 

One here: How To Record HDR Content Using OBS Studio (streamershaven.blog)

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I'll be following to see if you resolve this. I'm interested and might learn something.

yeah i updated my post. like yes OBS can do HDR and u might even have more controls over it with LUT's... i just prefer Nvidia cuz of the quality it can bring.

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm running windows borderless - game is in fullscreen.  I just hit Alt+F9 and Nvidia starts recording.  Only seems to be recording the game... but I'm quite new at this.  My vids only show what I see on the screen, which is the game.

What's the difference?

its not real borderless... choose any res and it send it into fullscreen  stretching it thus u can end up with black bars not the window size....

turn on privacy settings for Nvidia Alt -Z prevents Nvidia from recording windows 10/11 things and notifications.  so its not SEEing the game as a game but rather a program. and thus it wants me to turn OFF privacy settings. But again if  I do this all my desktop icons will show up in the video. because i do not run the game fullscreen as in, it does not fit my screen it fits half of it while the lower half is other programs and apps easy enough to tab in and out. But again Nvidia does not see the game but rather seeing it as a program...

9 minutes ago, GizmoMagui said:

not real borderless... choose any res and it send it into fullscreen  stretching it thus u can end up with black bars not the window size....

turn on privacy settings for Nvidia Alt -Z prevents Nvidia from recording windows 10/11 things and notifications.  so its not SEEing the game as a game but rather a program. and thus it wants me to turn OFF privacy settings. But again if  I do this all my desktop icons will show up in the video. because i do not run the game fullscreen as in, it does not fit my screen it fits half of it while the lower half is other programs and apps easy enough to tab in and out. But again Nvidia does not see the game but rather seeing it as a program...

I'm pretty sure my vids don't have black bars.  But if I am hearing you correctly - you're not trying to record in full screen, but in an actual window.

That's beyond my ability to figure out.  Too new at recording stuff.  I did look through the Nvidia options - but I don't see anything that would help.

Q: in other games, if you're playing in a half-screen window, does the software record the game as if it were fullscreen?

12 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

What's the difference?

if u run the game  from steam right click "properties" and in side the General tab you'll see "Launch Options"  below that u put in " -popupwindow " this makes window mode true borderless and does not stretch the game to fullscreen so u can have any size u want on screen. 

because i run this on my TV i do not need full 55" of it lol while  my native res is 3840x2160 i set  ALL OF MY GAMES to 3840x1620 borderless and move them to the top of the TV, thus having room down below for other apps 

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm pretty sure my vids don't have black bars.

thats because its fitting to your screen silly no matter what res u pick borderless will always stretch it to fit your screen. most borderless in other game does not do this they  fill up the screen to what ever res you have given it. but KSP2 stretches to always be fullscreen. 

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Q: in other games, if you're playing in a half-screen window, does the software record the game as if it were fullscreen?

it records only the game because Nvidia is seeing it as a game and not a program

[snip]

You can configure any of your capture software be it Nvidia (how they call shadowplay these days?) or OBS to target exactly the the Window (go learn what a window in Windows is! now! go!) one needs to "capture".  For example, for OBS you can configure to capture required window like this:

obs_set.jpg

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

15 hours ago, MehJeb said:

You can configure any of your capture software be it Nvidia (how they call shadowplay these days?) or OBS to target exactly the the Window (go learn what a window in Windows is! now! go!) one needs to "capture".  For example, for OBS you can configure to capture required window like this:

obs_set.jpg

Says Nvidia  asking for permission to allow it to record desktop because it does not see the game as a game but as a program and is somehow not a bug? [snip]

Screenshot-2023-03-21-102742.png

Edited by Vanamonde

[snip] "desktop capture is required TO take screenshots of ENTIRE desktop"  =) READ the phrase!

You wrote that you want the opposite - to only record ksp2 _WINDOW_ - do you see the difference? [snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

18 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

What's the difference?

If you get a popup notification, it will show up when recording the desktop but not when recording the window.

18 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I know how it works in other software but not games, and the answer is yes — at least in Teams it works this way, and given that this usually all evolves around the same system calls, I have little doubt it would work any other way.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

If you get a popup notification, it will show up when recording the desktop but not when recording the window.

I know how it works in other software but not games, and the answer is yes — at least in Teams it works this way, and given that this usually all evolves around the same system calls, I have little doubt it would work any other way.

Hm.  I'll have to dig into that.  Thus far I've been successful in never doing anything in Teams calls (hate video calls).  But I'm having fun recording stuff so it will be interesting to see what the software will do! 

57 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Hm.  I'll have to dig into that.  Thus far I've been successful in never doing anything in Teams calls (hate video calls).  But I'm having fun recording stuff so it will be interesting to see what the software will do! 

It used to be that in the Old Days, before KSP 1.0 even was released, Webec would indeed show blacked out sections where, if you were doing window sharing, a dialog box (even non modal ones) or anything else covering would result in a blacked out box.

Nowadays anything running in the window you share regardless of it being in the background or not, will be rendered perfectly. I'll try it with OBS but my expectation it is. Which is also not perfect in Teams, as I'm often troubleshooting and my colleague shared a window, not their desktop, and now I am completely oblivious that they pulled up something else, and they are oblivious I'm not seeing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.