New patch is a hardware melter.

i had to turn down some settings. otherwise the psu seems to be going into thermal cutoff (while in the vab of all places). gpu and cpu seem to be cool as a cucumber, but the psu is taking the brunt of it. i found it uncomfortably hot to the touch after my rig went black screen. its got its own airflow path, but its fan isnt pushing much air. i dropped the res down from 4k to 1080 and turned super sampling on. that kept it stable enough to orbit a ship, but im gonna stop there for the longevity of my hardware. i should be inside my power budget by a good margin and i push 4k 120hz in most games i play. ksp2 is stressing it a bit harder than usual. 

ryzen 5800x
32gb ddr4
7900xt
gen4 nvme ssd + gen3 nvme ssd (4tb total)
corsair sf750 psu

10 hours ago, Nuke said:

i had to turn down some settings. otherwise the psu seems to be going into thermal cutoff (while in the vab of all places). gpu and cpu seem to be cool as a cucumber, but the psu is taking the brunt of it. i found it uncomfortably hot to the touch after my rig went black screen. its got its own airflow path, but its fan isnt pushing much air. i dropped the res down from 4k to 1080 and turned super sampling on. that kept it stable enough to orbit a ship, but im gonna stop there for the longevity of my hardware. i should be inside my power budget by a good margin and i push 4k 120hz in most games i play. ksp2 is stressing it a bit harder than usual. 

ryzen 5800x
32gb ddr4
7900xt
gen4 nvme ssd + gen3 nvme ssd (4tb total)
corsair sf750 psu

I'm gonna have to follow your progress on this - because it seems odd.

A 750 is supposed to be sufficient for a 7900xt, and Corsair's are usually rock solid.  Most of the game's calls should be to the CPU and GPU and if they're cool and the mobo isn't freaking out... I'd really suspect the PSU or your cabling.  Absent telling the three things I've mentioned to pull power for one reason or another I cannot imagine a way for any program to directly require power from the PSU.  So if they're not hot - there's gotta be a problem between the powered thing (CPU, GPU, MOBO etc) and the PSU (meaning cabling) or the PSU itself.

Couple of questions: Do you have an under-the box filter for PSU air (and is it clean)?  How old is your PSU and have you blown it out in a while?  Are you running anything else like water pumps or AIO that might be taking the wattage up above 750?  Are any of the wires hot?  Did you have to 'rock' any connections to get everything to fit?

Also - I know you like small box solutions - is your exhaust air from the PSU venting out of the box?

(Asking stupid questions because sometimes if you don't...)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

ksp2 has been a weird beast so far. every time i try to characterize its performance it throws a new monkey wrench. it ran really well at first, then less well after a driver update from amd. patch comes out and its improved a lot, but the game crashed twice in the vab. on the second run i couldnt get the computer to restart so i took the top off to turn the psu off manually and noticed how hot it was. it seems to be running fine now, so i guess its thermal cutoff feature works.

its actually a sign of good gpu usage when you can melt the power supply. it sorta reminds me of the kinds of crashes that are still pretty common with cryengine games. needless to say im gonna start shopping for a new psu, provided i can find something that will fit the build. the machine itself is fairly new. no aio, its air cooled. no leds. and yes the cables are plugged all the way in (they are the old 8-pin and not those stupid nvidia squid cables, thats one of the reasons i went red). there is a bit of smushing going on, but the cables are fairly flexible and the radiuses are sensible. 

psu sources cold external air at the side (mesh on 4 sides) and exhausts it up the top.  its got its own dedicated airflow path. its possible the fan isnt kicking in quick enough. natural convection will move air through it on its own. but it seems like the fan should kick in a little more than it does. im not beyond doing a fan mod on a psu though, just dont lick the terminals on the caps. case came with filters but i always take those out, they block airflow, i prefer to just dust regularly (and just did as of the gpu upgrade). i checked my power cables when i upgraded the gpu and they didnt get hot at all even after a couple hours of furmark. i should re-check that while in the vab, but i dont want to breeak something, this machine was already kind of a money pit. 

Edited by Nuke

Have you checked your fps while in VAB? I had a similar problem with another game. My gpu and cpu were running just fine but my psu was frying and tripping the ups. I saw in hardware info that my wattage was spiking due to excessive fps so I tried enabling vsync on this game (I think it was Tunic) to limit the frames. Problem solved.

Otherwise I have not experienced that behavior in KSP2. I don't have vsync enabled in KSP 2 at the moment either.

10 hours ago, thewhitemetroid said:

Have you checked your fps while in VAB? I had a similar problem with another game. My gpu and cpu were running just fine but my psu was frying and tripping the ups. I saw in hardware info that my wattage was spiking due to excessive fps so I tried enabling vsync on this game (I think it was Tunic) to limit the frames. Problem solved.

Otherwise I have not experienced that behavior in KSP2. I don't have vsync enabled in KSP 2 at the moment either.

yea the fps went up, and like way up, was hitting over 90 (my fps has been everywhere and seems to change drastically every time there is a driver or game update). thats what did it. my temp fix is just to turn on super sampling and render at a lower res. frame cap may be a better solution, im not sure. ksp2 really doesnt need high fps since you are going to spend a lot of time physics limited. 

looking at power supplies now seems 750w is about the best you can get in an sfx. silverstone makes an sfx-l in 800w and 1000w flavors. its a little longer and i might not have clearance for it. i can get the 800w with whats left of my crypto, but that only gives me another 50w, and idk how solid they are. logic tells me to wait for the 1k model, but that's gonna be some wait, and i really didn't want to break a kw. i dont like flying this close to the sun.

Edited by Nuke

Before buying a new PSU try doing some stress testing, just to make sure the PSU is the culprit here. OCCT is a tool that also provides a stress test for the PSU.

I also have a similar build as you (Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4800, Corsair SF750) and I don't have any issues, a PSU with 750W is plenty enough.

its a fairly new psu. i dont think we had any surges and the thing is on a suppressor. 

11 hours ago, sumeee said:

Before buying a new PSU try doing some stress testing, just to make sure the PSU is the culprit here. OCCT is a tool that also provides a stress test for the PSU.

I also have a similar build as you (Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4800, Corsair SF750) and I don't have any issues, a PSU with 750W is plenty enough.

i threw tons of stress tests at the computer before i started using it. its also a fairly new gpu i think the drivers have only been updated a few times since it came out. so it might be a gpu driver issue. 

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.