Weekly Challenge #5 - Land on Duna!

Hi all.
I wanted to make the Val level mission with all in one mothership style spacecraft. Kraken tried its it's best to prevent me from succeeding but I won this time! (My sanity took a hit).

Take off. Eight kerbals one mission. 

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky84.png

Getting to orbit took couple of tries. Spontaneous disintegration on launchpad after loading was quite a problem.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky845.png

Decoupling around orbit of Kerbin. 

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky89.png

Finally on orbit around Duna.  All looks good.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky93.png

Now it's time to decouple a lander. Jeb is eager to get down on Duna. His target a edge of north polar cap. (He wanted to drive the rower but  he draw the short straw.)

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky102.png

Snmekobrazovky104.png

Descent and landing.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky113.png

Snmekobrazovky115.png

Snmekobrazovky132.png

Rower does not have any engines to deorbit. Plan is to use mother ship to get a rower on course to landing site.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky134.png

Quickly decouple rower, turn around and accelerate to safe orbit. Bill and Bob will wait around Duna and enjoy the view.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky136.png

Snmekobrazovky140.png

Snmekobrazovky141.png

Val and Tim are free falling to a surface of Duna.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky146.png

Chutes deployed and rower is safely on ground.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky147.png

Snmekobrazovky150.png

Mischievous humor of Jebs, Val and Tim have more than a hundred kilometers drive in front of them.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky151.png

Drive to the lander, quite a fun, couple of flips. Normal couple of days for Kerbals.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky154.png

Snmekobrazovky158.png

Snmekobrazovky159.png

Finally arriving to lander. Hop on and head to the mothership. Tim seams lucky to get on!

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky161.png

Snmekobrazovky162.png

Coupling was surprisingly uneventful. 

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky163.png

Snmekobrazovky164.png

Snmekobrazovky166.png

Kraken showing the tentacles. Around orbit the mothership broke. When changing directions ship did not want to turn.  As if some force prevented that. After a while ship begun to oscillate cockpit most. Kerbals had to evacuate from cockpit. Luckily only part that broke or was cockpit. Kerbals had to pilot from landers cabin.

(Behind the scenes come changes to safe file to turn off struts strengthening cockpit to ships body so only cockpit would broke off. For kerbals it must have looked like some miracle from above... ;-)   )

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky170.png

Snmekobrazovky172.png

Arriving to Kebin. After almost three years Kerbals finally gets to see home planet.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky173.png

Snmekobrazovky174.png

Lander is going to land on its own but only with Valentina and Bob on board. The rest will take home newly designed SSTO.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky178.png

Snmekobrazovky180.png

First to land is a lander. Decouple and descend to KSP

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky184.png

Snmekobrazovky187.png

Perfect landing almost spot on. 200 meters and Val would on landing pad. Still good job!

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky187.png

Snmekobrazovky190.png

In the meantime STO approaching the runway. Without a fuel extremely rear heavy and unstable. Better testing in future will be needed.

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky192.png

Plane spotters around runway are ready to capture this historical moment. Crew of the longest space flight landing back home!

Spoiler

Snmekobrazovky198.png

Snmekobrazovky201.png

Snmekobrazovky208.png

Crew safe home. Kraken lost this time?!

Snmekobrazovky212.png

• 4 months later...

Duna - The boss gave me this laundry list of things to do and I'm going to cram it all into one day before the big meeting mission report

a4oocfS.jpg

Swooping in with a 5 month necro to post this :D.  With the latest patch out, I've spent some of my free time over the last 2 weeks getting stuck into this challenge.  I decided to go big or go home, throw caution to the wind, and try and run as far as normal what is a typical mission for me.  That is to say - over complicate everything, use too many parts, and be way too detail orientated for my own good.  I also elected to have multiple packages on a rocket, with other rockets relying on multiple undocking and undocking procedures, with complex staging requirements to boot.  I decided to go for the primary stretch Val Watney level, and also decided that in order to keep it simple I would also boost a space station to Duna orbit as a long-term orbital outpost.  Why not right?

I had fun.  A lot of fun.  I really enjoyed basically every single part of the mission.  But would the mission be even completable given the complexity?  Would I succumb to the kraken? 

You can view the full mission report here, and then below a few summary photos from the mission:

Spoiler

1tvEc3Q.jpg

The main crewed ship, and the Duna station docking high above Kerbin

dNKLUrW.jpg

The Duna polar lander with its complex landing deployment, including fairing, heatshield, and braking module detachment.

nK0Sfbi.jpg

The return to orbit lander on the surface at the North polar region of Duna.  Absolutely astounding views of Ike.

YReZdlF.jpg

Duna station on orbit, with the crew ship burning for Ike.

EGySzwj.jpg

Ike landing with Duna in the background!

rDOIvxg.jpg

First crewed landing on Duna.  Ike is in the centre of the imagine and just visible through the haze.

KtYSUY0.jpg

I love the visuals and music at Duna.  It's so so good.

TL49HZ2.jpg

Second landing, at the pol by the return to orbit vehicle.  Ike in the background again for the naysayers :D

vLhvyKV.jpg

Return to orbit for the crew, and the start of the end of the mission.  Bugs started to accumulate at this stage and it was getting more complex to manage.  Most had workarounds.

3S84gHF.jpg

Due to fuel shortages some pretty funky orbital manoeuvres were required to A) rescue the crew in orbit around Duna, and B) set up the plane change around Duna to make the return to Kerbin efficient.  The return burn was accomplished and the ship picked up the intercept with Kerbin.  Please see mission report for more details.

Ygqv7T8.jpg

Abandon ship!  By this point the accumulation of bugs had got to the stage of not being able to view the main crew ship, or control it in any reasonable way.  Hendros Kerman now had to represent all of kerbal kind and make it home in one piece.

0mw3UJ6.jpg

Splashdown for all Kerbalkind, and mission (as best as possible) accomplished!

So what do I say in summary?  This is by far the biggest mission I've run in KSP2.  It took 24 hours of real time in designing, flying and recording the mission.  In the final couple of hours it took all my might to work around the disintegrating save to get that one brave Kerbal home but make it home Hendros did.  This was the most enjoyable couple of weeks playing the game since the release, and I hope you enjoyed the mission report!

SM