3/24 Discord AMA Answers

Dakota

9 hours ago, dvrabel said:

That's fair. Apologies for the accusatory tone. I've edited my post to better reflect the point I was trying to make (i.e., don't exprapolate your personal viewpoints to everyone, even if you see that viewpoint expressed by others -- its still not the whole comminity.).

Ok that's fair.  I know some players are pleased with the title.  But I don't think it's unfair to say many are not, I'm not just stating an opinion as fact here - it has a 50% review score on steam after all, which, given how positive the community for KSP is on average, is pretty low - the average review score for a game on steam is 80-85%. 

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/fixing-steam-s-user-rating-charts

5 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Admittedly, I did not watch the video, I only read through Dakota's thread. But I was encouraged by it. I got the feeling that Nate is still extremely passionate about the game, and that he is wholly dedicated to the project. It gave me some confidence that they're going to deliver the game that's been promised (can we coin that as KSP prophecy, "The Game That Was Promised"? :D). I figured it would be about 2 years, but we would get there.

However, after reading through all the comments here, it looks like I might be in the minority. Makes me wonder if I took the wrong impression from the AMA. I sincerely hope not. I really want this game to succeed and become something special.

From my perspective - when a passionate developer starts answering questions about future plans in vague ways - and after they have been hyping the release of the game for years, it gives me alarm bells from prior titles, makes me think of Peter Molyneux and Sean Murry and Todd Howard. 

As was pointed out in other places, this is a 'fool me once' sort of situation too.  From my perspective, if you took the most negative reading of things things Nate has said over the last few years, you'd have more accurately predicted the state of KSP2 now than a neutral or positive reading.  Hence why I'm taking the most negative reading of what he's saying now.  I don't really understand why people still take those statements at face value - or sometimes even inject an implausible even more positive spin on them.

1 hour ago, asmi said:

Do you actually think developers do any of that? I can all but guarantee that developers have no idea about refunds, complaints and rants, unless they checked that cesspool on their own volition. Which I gather they didn't as they knew all too well the state of the game on EA start, so it doesn't take a lot of imagination to imagine what it would be like.

Well, at a minimum Nate was aware of what was going on.  As were the community managers.  And TT/IG/PD were all aware of the mass numbers of refunds.  And the Steam reviews.  And the forums threads.  And what was happening on Discord.  And what was happening in Reddit.  To think that none of that filtered down to the developers - especially those who were now being told that there was a massive list of bug reports that would need to be worked on - is folly.  Simply put, they may not have been front line with this, but they certainly weren't in the dark.

Edited by Scarecrow71

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.