Between Two Patches

Nate Simpson

> Fixed loss of vehicle on reference frame change when physicsless parts present

Looking forward to rockets no longer exploding at 21km!

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but the bug fix for landed vessels falling through terrain when you retake control of them is not currently checked in for next patch?

I imagine it's because it's just a difficult and complex bug, but regardless... yikes :blush:

Best of luck, KSP team!

38 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm curious if yhe guys are working on the transfer bug where you plot a course and it shows you where you are going...until you get out of an SOI and see that the plotted course has changed.

This definitely needs to be fixed ASAP. It is EXTREMELY DETRIMENTAL to learning players. 

Love all the work! I’m sure it’s on the burner but just advocating for the docking bug to be as high as a priority as it reasonable can be. Building a station is tough when every third docking welds together and can only be undone at warp with a velocity kick that sends my space tugs out of Kerbin SOI

But the first patch and the communication recently has been fantastic, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I've been having a blast is KSP 2 so far.  I have a question, though.  When I launch something into orbit in KSP1, I generally build so that I can de-orbit my final stage using a probe core and antennas.  But in KSP2, decoupling that last stage to de-orbit makes it so the last stage in uncontrollable regardless of antenna or probe.  Will the switching vessels fix possibly solve this?

11 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

here are a few things that are already checked into Patch Two:

• Fixed loss of vehicle on reference frame change when physicsless parts present
  • Fixed flamed-out engines not restarting properly
  • Enabled switching between vehicles in atmospheric flight (within PhysX bubble)
  • Recovered Kerbals now return to VAB Kerbal Manager
  • Gave click priority to planets rather than moons when zoomed out in Map view
  • Struts and fuel lines no longer broken after cloning subassembly in VAB
  • Fixed bug: vessels with no control deleted during save
  • Fixed flowers on Kerbin
  • Added "next" button to seizure warning screen
  • Height fog added to all atmospheres
  • Updated parking garage collision (now possible to enter structures)
  • Various CPU and GPU optimizations to improve performance

Some very welcome fixes in there!

Can you elaborate on "fixed loss of vehicle on reference frame change when physicsless parts present"? Is this the "skittles" bug?

12 hours ago, Dakota said:

I was told by @Snarkand @Gargamelthat there would be riots if I changed the default. I'm more of a darkmode person myself, but totally respect getting attached to the way the forum has looked for checks watch a long time.

I run my own slimmed down theme of the forums by blocking/editing some certain elements... I've just checked it against the other 3 new themes and its all working perfectly too! :D I guess because its only colour changes. 

Shameless plug for anyone wanting a streamlined, text/posts only look to the forum: 

12 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Fixed flowers on Kerbin

We can finally smell the flowers after our spaceflights!

12 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Fixed flamed-out engines not restarting properly

This one will make all the difference for spaceplane SSTOs, glad you were able to address this! If there's any chance for it in the upcoming patch, I hope you'll also be able to address the stage delta-v readout showing 0 (and TWR calculation for maneuver plans being off) when multiple engine types are active in the same stage.

Also, I had the chance to listen in to the AMA and enjoyed hearing you answer so many community questions. Thank you and the team for your hard work!

14 hours ago, FlazeTheDragon said:

Could probably just set there specific themes to light mode and, in secret, change default to dark mode. They would never know

Reveal hidden contents

EosusUb.gif

I really doubt that is the case, and we would hold you personally responsible if it happened.   ;p

15 hours ago, Dakota said:

My work will save thousands of eyeballs from lightmode!

Hey @Dakota, love the new Dark Mode! But did you know it dorks up code blocks? Can this be tweaked in the theme? See example below where the code block is black text on a charcoal background. Maybe white text in code blocks for Dark Mode? I get the same effect with both KSP Dark and KSP Dark Red

Edited by schlosrat

9 hours ago, moeggz said:

Love all the work! I’m sure it’s on the burner but just advocating for the docking bug to be as high as a priority as it reasonable can be. Building a station is tough when every third docking welds together and can only be undone at warp with a velocity kick that sends my space tugs out of Kerbin SOI

But the first patch and the communication recently has been fantastic, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

This is high on my list as well...  I keep trying to play the game to build stations.   Usually I log in because I have another idea that "might" work.  build out the station for the 20th time.  attempt to launch(I've never got to orbit with it).   Either a bug kills something via docking, parts not sticking together(or exploding apart),  or the game straight up crashes in one of two ways( either the revert to VAB freeze,  or it just vanishes and drops to windows).   

I know it will come along... but eventually I just need to shelve it for a few months to let the fixes catch up to where I can actually put some time into building things.  I've come down to just deleting my campaign each day I log in(to avoid code bugs that seem to grow over time)  And just working on design ideas.   Hoping someday I can launch something I'm happy with

Please @Nate Simpson and KSP2 Team, if you do nothing else this weekend, please read this (confusingly and inaccurately) named thread - a lot of our independent bug reports have been merged into one thread and the title hasn’t been changed to reflect that.

Please, for the love of Jeb, see for yourselves: plot a return trajectory from Jool, make the burn as precisely as you can, then screenshot the trajectory BEFORE you leave Jool SOI. Then leave Jool SOI and see how that perfect trajectory is completely and utterly wrong the instant you leave the Jool SOI. Something is getting changed during the SOI transition (probably a mathematical error). In my case, for instance, I am ending up with an AP higher than Jool’s own orbit (which should be impossible for a burn retrograde to Jool’s own orbital path). Others can repeat the same or similar experiences trying to return from Duna, Dres, etc. 

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

Please @Nate Simpson and KSP2 Team, if you do nothing else this weekend, please read this (confusingly and inaccurately) named thread - a lot of our independent bug reports have been merged into one thread and the title hasn’t been changed to reflect that.

Please, for the love of Jeb, see for yourselves: plot a return trajectory from Jool, make the burn as precisely as you can, then screenshot the trajectory BEFORE you leave Jool SOI. Then leave Jool SOI and see how that perfect trajectory is completely and utterly wrong the instant you leave the Jool SOI. Something is getting changed during the SOI transition (probably a mathematical error). In my case, for instance, I am ending up with an AP higher than Jool’s own orbit (which should be impossible for a burn retrograde to Jool’s own orbital path). Others can repeat the same or similar experiences trying to return from Duna, Dres, etc. 

It's issues like this that, in my mind, make mods like Lazy Orbit a necessity in EA. The game flat out should not hose the player when they've done an arguably excellent job of planning and executing a maneuver node - this particular bug should be right up there with the other one that got fixed in 0.1.1 where maneuver nodes were hosed if you changed from flight to map view or vice versa. If squashing this bug isn't Priority Numero Uno, then I'm not sure which one would be or should be. Oh, btw, looking forward to the flowers!

When EA hoses my best laid and properly executed plans, I haul out Lazy Orbit and fix the darn thing. If the game cheats me, I'll cheat it right back and not feel a lick of shame for it. This is EA, it's not bug free, and it's not 1.0. We can expect there to be issues. Modding community to the rescue! Granted, playing this way is a lot less fun than if the game worked like we expect it to, but at least it doesn't need to mean that hours of careful mission planning and execution are lost to a stupid bug.

Edited by schlosrat

3 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

It's issues like this that, in my mind, make mods like Lazy Orbit a necessity in EA.

I have that mod but haven't used it yet.

Before I started using my massively-overpowered SWERV transfer stage design, I did have to resort to the Infinite Propellant toggle in Settings to have enough dV to correct the SOI transition error when returning from Jool to Kerbin.  But I shouldn't have to. I've been playing KSP for literally more than 10 years as of this week (v0.19 on Steam March 21, 2013 per my Steam purchase page). I know how to do a Jool (or Duna, or Mun/Minmus ...) return burn. And my trajectory is utterly perfect before the SOI transition but completely wrong afterwards, I know there's a mathematical error going on in the game. 

11 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

I have that mod but haven't used it yet.

Before I started using my massively-overpowered SWERV transfer stage design, I did have to resort to the Infinite Propellant toggle in Settings to have enough dV to correct the SOI transition error when returning from Jool to Kerbin.  But I shouldn't have to. I've been playing KSP for literally more than 10 years as of this week (v0.19 on Steam March 21, 2013 per my Steam purchase page). I know how to do a Jool (or Duna, or Mun/Minmus ...) return burn. And my trajectory is utterly perfect before the SOI transition but completely wrong afterwards, I know there's a mathematical error going on in the game. 

You are absolutely right! It's got to be some sort of math or logic (controlling the math) kind of thing. A return burn is not a complex thing to setup - if you're at a superior planet, burn retrograde to the planets orbit and tweak things to get your encounter. If you're at an inferior planet, then burn prograde to the planet's orbit. The concept is hardly difficult, and with mods like Maneuver Node Controller it's pretty easy to tweak things to get the node just right. There is honestly so much going right with the game that we're even able to plan these thing, it's a shame there's also something going wrong here and the SOI transition hoses your orbit for you.

One use case for Lazy Orbit that you may enjoy is to test out your landers.  Build your Eve/Tylo/Bob/Duna/whatever lander, put it on the launch pad all by itself, and *BANG* you're in orbit around the planet or moon you want to test it for. See if it works, rinse and repeat, then build a LV and transfer stage to put under it. I think of it as the ultimate flight sim for testing things out.

Edited by schlosrat

2 hours ago, LameLefty said:

I edited the title and added additional information to the top post of that thread. I hope it better matches the conclusions of the thread now.