Between Two Patches

Nate Simpson

48 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

While I don't disagree entirely with this, the point is that this shouldn't happen or come at the expense of focusing on those things on the roadmap before this.  We haven't seen or heard a thing on Science, which is the first roadmap feature, and the devs are focusing on playing multi-player?

It's not inconceivable that the interaction between the physics part of KSP2 and multiplayer is quite complex, where "Science" is merely a matter of collecting science points and interacting with biomes and is far less impacted by such changes. Last thing Intercept wants is cancelling multiplayer or rolling back performance improvements as one turns out to be incompatible with the other.

Also, and this may sound unbelievable as it is, there are people who claim that KSP2 is merely KSP1 code with a graphic update, and multiplayer is the biggest part of that being not the case. So that can be a motive for showcasing it all the time. Especially since the community has some not completely unfounded skepticism regarding delivery of the multiplayer promise.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

the point is that this shouldn't happen or come at the expense of focusing on those things on the roadmap before this

Multiplayer designer isn't going to work on science and colonies because that's not their job, but will poke other devs to make sure everything they work on is compatible with multiplayer. If MP was in the original plan, and it was, it's not being done "at expense" of something else.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

the devs are focusing on playing multi-player?

Making sure it works as intended with what they already have*

I can’t believe how many posts in this thread are about forum themes (a feature of the commercial Invision forum software) rather than the actual KSP2 patch contents and what may or may not be included.  With all due respect to Dakota’ s work on the theme, that is so far down on my list of KSP2-related priorities and issues it doesn’t even register. 

8 hours ago, LameLefty said:

I can’t believe how many posts in this thread are about forum themes (a feature of the commercial Invision forum software) rather than the actual KSP2 patch contents and what may or may not be included.  With all due respect to Dakota’ s work on the theme, that is so far down on my list of KSP2-related priorities and issues it doesn’t even register. 

This is nothing unusual and quite easy to understand: Everybody has a more or less good reason to argue why a certain forum theme has it's merits or not. To talk about KSP2 you have to know some insights into IG2s development process (which we don't and won't know) or at least some background in software development. Or alternatively speculate from the bits of informations we have which is not everybodys cup of tea. 
Or as Parkinson said: It's easier to discuss the merits of a certain color or material of a bike shed than about the building of a nuclear plant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality 
In the FreeBSD project (a Unix open source operating system, similiar goals like Linux but quite a different origin and philosophy look up wikipedia for Details) the term Bikeshedding for such discussions was coined by one of their developers Poul-Henning Kamp: http://phk.freebsd.dk/sagas/bikeshed/
It orginated when his fellow developers debated about the implementation of the sleep command. If you type sleep 1 in a Linux or BSD command prompt, sleep starts, do nothing for one second and exits afterwards. If you type sleep 5 it do the same just for five seconds etc. This is quite useful for some automation tasks. There was a proposal that you can enter fraction of seconds e.g. sleep 1.5
Since everybody at some point used this in their scripts and the actual implementation is quite simple (at least compared to more challening programming tasks) there was a lot of discussion and controversy although (like every big project) FreeBSD had also a lot of more serious challenges to solve. 
Kamp seemed to be annyoed at some point and send his fellow developers some information on Parkinsons law. For the details I recommend reading Kampss website ( http://phk.freebsd.dk/sagas/bikeshed/ ) He explains the whole thing a lot better than me and also a lot funnier in his original mail.

Thus: I understand your pain but It's not surprising but just human.

51 minutes ago, jost said:

This is nothing unusual and quite easy to understand:

I've been an active user of the internet since it was DARPANET (e.g., longer than many of KSP players have been alive). Please don't try to nerdsplain triviality to me. 

10 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

I've been an active user of the internet since it was DARPANET (e.g., longer than many of KSP players have been alive). Please don't try to nerdsplain triviality to me. 

I'm sorry, I didn't wanted to annoy you in any way. I actually agree with you that the forum design is not really worth much of a debate anyway

11 hours ago, LameLefty said:

So do I, and yet I usually appreciate people trying to explain things to others, even  when I'm aware of the subject because:

1) people willing to explain things in a good and interesting way are rare. We should incentive the practice.

2) you don't walk around with your Resume hung in your neck, and people don't walk around with Crystal Balls hung in their necks neither. We just can't foresee what you know or not.

3) this is not a private message to you. You are not the only addressee on the message. Most people here are not old farts like you and me, and they will make good use of the information!

That said, please note that I'm not doing any judgment of value about you, please take this post on the most amicable way possible.

Be well.