Wouldn't it be nice if the planets with atmosphere had a storms?

Reentry panning in KSP is simple: just don't land where the high enough mountain is so your parachutes can deploy properly. 
Why not adding the storms that may affect aircraft behavior and add some nuances to the landing? It would've been great if spotting the storms in an another planet would require special tech that you need to have on your spacecraft/satellite orbiting the planet.

2 hours ago, alex_deltav said:

Reentry panning in KSP is simple: just don't land where the high enough mountain is so your parachutes can deploy properly. 
Why not adding the storms that may affect aircraft behavior and add some nuances to the landing? It would've been great if spotting the storms in an another planet would require special tech that you need to have on your spacecraft/satellite orbiting the planet.

Yeah I'd agree, though in a much more unilateral sense. Weather in general would be an amazing addition, I'd rather have weather than a fair few of other things to be honest, but it's behind stuff like part failures and such for me.

That said, I guess it would depend on whether it could be implemented and whether that could be done without a significant performance impact.

Weather would be awesome, specially in other planets like Duna, imagine a sand storm covering up your solar panels and rendering them near useless, maybe this is a colony and now you are in trouble because power is running out and Duna is a cold, cold planet, so it's an urgent matter, or your colonist will freeze.

Same goes for Eve, I doubt it has cozy weather (specially considering it's based on Venus, which is know from murdering our probes), it would probably be more dangerous than Kerbin, with frequent storms and violent winds.

Even some light rain when coming back home would be cool to see.

Quoting Creative Director

Will atmosphere-rich celestial bodies have weather patterns sometime in the future? If so, would this weather have any physical effect on your vessel? 

We do not have short terms plans for that. We have planets with tilt, so we could implement weather and SEASONS. But we have a long runway ahead of us. Never say never, but yeah if we wanted to implement these features, we'd want it to affect gameplay in some way so we'd need to figure that out.

There's also the whole once we implement more modding capabilities to the game, it's totally possible something like this is added by the community.

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

There's also the whole once we implement more modding capabilities to the game, it's totally possible something like this is added by the community.

True on the modding part, the volumetric clouds mod has already teased thunder and rain on Kerbin, so that's something possible for KSP2

On 3/25/2023 at 2:37 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

True on the modding part, the volumetric clouds mod has already teased thunder and rain on Kerbin, so that's something possible for KSP2

Just because modders can make it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the base game. I'm not a big fan of the "modders will do it" rhetoric, it feels kinda cheap, almost like an excuse to not look into things.

I do hope the KSP2 team reconsiders their current stance on weather!

The direct transcript doesnt include that Nate Simpson would really like to see weather be a thing, I feel like the team is mostly focused on 1.0 right now and all the cool weather stuff may come afterwards. Honestly it wont add that much to the game compared to things like interstellar so I wont fault them for putting it aside.

I think they already discussed that they mighhtttt add this as a feature later on, but the modding community might do it if the devs don’t. I mean in ksp 1 we had a very questionable weather mod that had no graphics and didn’t really do much besides adding the ability to detect weather, but that was a long time ago it came out.

Edited by Little 908

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 7:48 AM, Little 908 said:

I think they already discussed that they mighhtttt add this as a feature later on, but the modding community might do it if the devs don’t. I mean in ksp 1 we had a very questionable weather mod that had no graphics and didn’t really do much besides adding the ability to detect weather, but that was a long time ago it came out.

It seems to me like a hard task. But the developers might leave an instrument for the modders to do that  (if they can't accomplish that due some reasons).

On 3/25/2023 at 3:22 PM, alex_deltav said:

And we all know Kerbals would launch no matter what the weather or wind shear.  Moar boosters, moar fins, more struts, and moar TWR!   Release the clamps!  The game is afoot!

This was already discussed in the prelaunch forum several times:

And at several other threads I don't bother to link here.

And even in this section:

Sorry to crash the party but I stick to my prelaunch opinion: 

It's not worth the hassle if it impacts development speed and performance too much (which is to be expected if the simulation is big enough to actually make gameplay more interesting). 

The current state of the game didn't helped to change my opinion.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, darthgently said:

And we all know Kerbals would launch no matter what the weather or wind shear.  Moar boosters, moar fins, more struts, and moar TWR!   Release the clamps!  The game is afoot!

Max Q exceeded... comes the Kraken...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.