Anyone else... bored?

JoeSchmuckatelli

I'm a bit tired of having a relatively small number of parts to build craft with.  And using some of them isn't easy.  Like, I'm still trying to find a use for the hydrogen tanks, but getting them into orbit is too painful and you don't get enough bang for the buck there.

I don't know, man.  I'm gonna keep on keepin' on...but I'm with you.  I'm really hoping that the next patch will at least release some new parts.  Or give me a reason to want to keep playing sandbox.  Cuz right now I'm about this close to going back to KSP1 where I can play career.

Nah. I'm still in the middle of discovering the wonders of the new-old celestial bodies. Only yesterday I took a peek at Dres's canyon, this thing is GIGANTIC.

I still have 8 bodies left to land on. And I keep experimenting with stuff, couple of days ago I was trying to land on the south pole. None of the attempts were successful but I spent hours on it anyway.

I don't hunt for bugs, the bugs come to me, how nice of them. 

Nope. Visited Eeloo last night and today, landed on it for the first time in KSP2.

RzaLJnU.jpg

e47QGUG.png

Then after returning home intentionally did not fine tune inclination inside Kerbin's SOI and my entry trajectory took me over Kerbin's  South Pole and landed on the antarctic ice cap. :)

71rpFZk.png

vqjqp4A.png

At some point this next week or so, I'll start messing about with spaceplanes again and go explore Kerbin, build a small orbital station for the spaceplane to visit, etc. 

If I get REAL motivated, I'll build a Tylo lander and send a probe to visit the big new anomaly there (the only new one yet discovered that I haven't seen in person yet). 

I am sure I would be, because I got bored back in KSP1 with no progression system.

The lack of one currently is why I'm waiting to buy the game.

So no I'm not bored because I'm playing several other games until KSP2 has something in it to drive my desire to play.

I'm enjoying it still, and sending probes out to take a peek at the Planets and Moons. Lack of gameplay options isn't a major hurdle, but that and  bugs means I know I'll want to start exploring  'properly' once thing improve.

It's not boredom, so much as... ennui.

I admit, I would do way better in science mode. My first KSP1 game was sandbox, and it was a disaster. Science mode gave me a structure. "These kinds of engines can lift this sized craft", and "You can now reach this far with what you've unlocked", etc.

Science mode will be revolutionary for me. Colonies will be a million times more. Right now, I'm just improvising, and not really succeeding.

If the devs are reading this, please don't equate my interest in this game and my 'hours played'. They aren't even close to the same thing.

14 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

It's not boredom, so much as... ennui.

I admit, I would do way better in science mode. My first KSP1 game was sandbox, and it was a disaster. Science mode gave me a structure. "These kinds of engines can lift this sized craft", and "You can now reach this far with what you've unlocked", etc.

Science mode will be revolutionary for me. Colonies will be a million times more. Right now, I'm just improvising, and not really succeeding.

If the devs are reading this, please don't equate my interest in this game and my 'hours played'. They aren't even close to the same thing.

Interstellar and Multiplayer much much later on will sink me in the game

The only celestial bodies I've visited so far are Eve and Mun. Other than that, I've been perfectly entertained recreating historical aircraft on Kerbin

i7ayMi2.jpg

The game isn't stable enough for crazy-complicated things just yet. Don't want to get too emotionally invested on my plans for an inter-planetary Fast Food Chain, lest a bug tear it all down

I get bored, and then I push myself to visit all the places I haven't. My firsts in KSP2 vs KSP1 so far:

Landed on Duna

Landed in Ike

Landed on Eve

Landed on Dres

Orbited Jool then attempted and crashed into Tylo.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I'm curious, what is it about KSP2 vs 1 that got you to go interplanetary? Why now and why not before?

I have no idea. A few weeks before KSP2 released I got my first asteroid intercept, but it was only 700km from Kerbin and I managed to get it into orbit.

I managed to fly by Duna in KSP1, but never could do anything better.  Perhaps I should go back and see if I can repeat everything in KSP1. With all the bugs etc, I'm not sure how, but I swear KSP 2 is "easier". 

I thpught Jool was for super experienced players and I never get there, but lo and behold haha

EDIT: I do have to mention though, part of exploring new places I haven't been to in KSP2 is the music alone. It's been very exciting to get to orbit and hear the soundtrack for whatever body you're orbiting. 

Edited by Fluke

I played 6000 hours of sandbox KSP 1, I never get bored, because I have an imagination.

EDIT: LOL, Joe, I didn't even realize this was your thread. I'm NOT picking on you, I just don't understand this "boredom" thing.

Edited by FleshJeb

I'm with ya Joe.  

I'm saving all the discoveries of the Kerbol system until I have a Space Program To Manage.  It will be a better and more memorable Kerbal Experience.  But yeah, the career in KSP1 was the challenge that made me fall in love with KSP1 as a game.

I'll save exploring the planets for now. 

4 hours ago, Fluke said:

I do have to mention though, part of exploring new places I haven't been to in KSP2 is the music alone. It's been very exciting to get to orbit and hear the soundtrack for whatever body you're orbiting. 

The Duna theme is the best, IMO

5 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I'm curious, what is it about KSP2 vs 1 that got you to go interplanetary? Why now and why not before?

Speaking for myself staying within Kerbals SOI visiting Duna for just a couple of times the driving factor is time. 

Not the lack of in real life, not the time spent behind the keyboard but time as in 'in-game' progression of time. 

I ussualy play Career to get a few contracts and colonize Kerbin's SOI with relays, space stations, fuel depots, tourist hotels, travel routes and ISRU sites. 

Now all that is just a couple of in-game days away, and I dont feel comfortable leaving the whole 'space program' untouched and wandering for in-game months to years because of interplanetary missions. 

Anyway, something I really need to get rid off and get comfortable with, with interstellar coming some day. 

Anyway, in sandbox KSP2 I've already been to Duna twice and to Eve, and loving it so far. The only thing I'm really missing right now is ISRU

Edited by LoSBoL

I think I might've burnt myself out on KSP in general after playing so much KSP1 in anticipation for the sequel. I still want to visit all the planets and do all the other things in 2, but I feel like playing other games/doing other free time things for now :).

Why force yourself to play a game you're not enjoying?

Really, the game will either get better or it won't, regardless of how much attention you give to it or to the arguments around it.

A watched pot never boils, there's no need to bore yourself to death.

12 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Why force yourself to play a game you're not enjoying?

Really, the game will either get better or it won't, regardless of how much attention you give to it or to the arguments around it.

A watched pot never boils, there's no need to bore yourself to death.

Wise man.

9 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I played 6000 hours of sandbox KSP 1, I never get bored, because I have an imagination.

Thats kind of a slap in the face to all of us, don't you think?  To assume we don't have an imagination is not cool.  As I pointed out, I'm limited by the lack of parts.

17 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I don't know if it's the nature of Sandbox Only, the current state of the game, disappointment with the info that Science won't be interesting and new, or what.

Pretty much all of those.

Bugs can be dealt with, or even avoided if you know where they crop up. But the missing features are a killer. If I did not already have like 4,000 hours of KSP, I'd probably see the wonder in the game. But instead, I'm just bored. I load it up everyday, mess around in the VAB for a minute, then quit. Just kind of waiting around for it to get better.

In the meantime, I'm trying to clear the ever-growing backlog of games I've yet to play. Each Steam sale I see something I like, so it just keeps growing. If I read off a list of games I have and never even tried, you'd probably be offended as a gamer. For instance, just started Dark Souls (I have all 3), so if you're posting from like 15 years in the past, I can say you should try it. It's pretty good :D.

18 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I don't know if it's the nature of Sandbox Only, the current state of the game, disappointment with the info that Science won't be interesting and new, or what.

14 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Pretty much all of those.

All of the above for me too

Not at all...yet. Having fun doing stuff I'd never done in KSP1. Planes, space planes etc.

Also I'm hopeful it'll stay that way till the first new content comes around , but we'll see.

I'm not so much bored as I am frustrated with showstopping bugs. As a result, I tend to mess around until I run into one and have to put the game away for awhile. There's a lot for me to do in KSP 2, like visit the anomalies. The "boredom" for me is waiting until the next patch hopefully clears up the issues that I ran into.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.