Anyone else... bored?

JoeSchmuckatelli

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

Honestly, I'd rather have a system where I could choose on which date parts unlock, so I could simulate going from 60s NASA ->Skylab -> STS -> FutureStuff without having to worry about getting enough funds / science to level up. I want progression, just not in the traditional way.

This i could get behind, provided time warping to whatever date unlocks all the cool stuff is off the table.  Like, you do this early mission (launching Sputnik, for example), after which the game auto warps to the next mission to complete?

4 hours ago, LameLefty said:

In KSP1, my late-game saves usually had dozens of satellites around many planets and moons, refinery/prop depot stations around the Mun, Minmus, Ike,  and Vall, mining vessels on the ground or docked to all those stations, flights en route to and/or from Eve, Duna, Jool and Eeloo, and VERY busy set of Kerbal Alarm Clock alarms for transfer windows, SOI transitions, etc. In other words, a real "program" with lots going on to manage and do.

I love when things get to that point, too. Like you said, makes me feel like I'm running a real space program. And man do I miss Kerbal Alarm Clock. Where is @TriggerAuwhen you need him? Even when they finally added a planner to the stock game, I still used KAC. I need me some TriggerTech!

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That was one of the brilliant things about KSP - a little something for everyone!

Exactly right. Not many games allow such a disparity between play styles. You have RSS/RO guys who want ultra-realism. Then you have the guys who build the most absurd creations imaginable just to show it can be done. And then you have what I think is probably a majority; those of us who think space is cool, grew up on Legos, and now get to run our own semi realistic space program that we put together piece by piece. Harvester is a true genius.

This really shows the different personality types that enjoy KSP.  Some folks definitely need goals. I am like that in some things, but not in KSP. I enjoy problem solving, and I seem to be able to create my own problems to solve. I think a lot has to do with the fact that I really enjoy building craft.  And despite the more limited parts, what we do have: especially procedural wings (which I was initially sceptical about, and am now totally won-over), has allowed for a whole new way to look at building. Add the custom colour onto that, and I am getting a lot of satisfation out of creating builds, but in a different way than I did in KSP1.

Despite the lack of props in KSP2, I could not have convincingly pulled this off in KSP1:

nIdcLMm.png

I also really enjoy the challenges. That was pretty much where I hung out in KSP1, and I was finding myself drifting away because that forum was dying. KSP2 has given it a rebirth.

I did not do big missions in KSP1, though I plan to do that more in KSP2.  But not at the moment--I've made it to the Mun, Minmus and Eve, but for some reason, I cannot for the life of me get an encounter anywhere else. I'm waiting until maneuvering gets a little better.

Edited by Klapaucius

Sure. I got bored a week ago. But I'm a dumb donkey, so I need a carrot stick in front of me and an angry peasant whipping my back. I haven't played career in KSP 1, just science. Updating old stations with unlocked parts, and grinding through the numbers got me going for a long time. Sandbox was the most boring of the 3. I guess KSP 2 will keep me engaged a lot more, especially with colonies. So far, the only "bigger" mission I've attempted is Duna (without return, because docking bugs).

I am definitely not bored.  I am enjoying the early access sandbox experience immensely.

I played science when there was just sandbox and science in KSP1.  When they introduced career mode I was very disappointed in it.  The contract system was terrible at first and was marginally improved over many iterations, but it always seemed like a clunky, sort of 'cosmetic' addition to the gameplay that was bolted awkwardly on to the base game.  It never seemed to fit well.  Nonetheless I played career mode a lot.  After unlocking the entire tech tree, science mode becomes sandbox mode and career is basically the same.  The money only limited me for a very short time at the beginning of any career game.  Once I unlocked all the buildings I wanted, I just did missions I felt like doing and found a contract or two that could be worked in to the mission.  Money was never a limiting factor in gameplay once any career game had advanced a little bit.  So then it's just unlocking the tech tree and, boom, sandbox mode equivalent

This is how it works for me.  "Hmm", I think, "where should I send a ship?"
"Well, I haven't been to [destination] yet.  I could send [thing] there.  That sounds like fun."
"Now how do I engineer that?"

And that's where the creative side of KSP kicks in.  I imagine getting [thing] to [destination] and maybe back, figure out what is needed for the purpose, and think about what I can build to do that.

Anyway, that's how it goes for me.

Some of the bugs are a bit tedious to work around, but I haven't encountered anything since the first patch that I am unable to work around in some way or another.  And the next patch is slated to be out in a week or two.

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

So far, the only "bigger" mission I've attempted is Duna (without return, because docking bugs).

I tried undocking and docking for the first time in my mission to Vall.  It worked almost perfectly.  The undocking action was too forceful and my lander was kicked away from the mothership quite a bit faster than I expected.  It all worked, though.  I don't know if the reported bug has anything to do with a particular size of docking port or whether it was addressed in the first patch.  I used the medium docking ports (Clamp-O-Tron Sr.).

Happy landings!

Although I am a bit bored with the lack of parts, I am not bored with playing the game.  I prefer Science and/or Career modes, so I had to find something to give me direction.  To that end, I dusted off my historical space race challenge and am going through that.  There is four decades' worth of flight firsts for me to deal with, and this helps me learn the ins and outs of KSP2.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

You don't need docking to get to Duna and back.

I guess that depends on the player skill. I still tend to overshoot dv requirements even for mun/minmus travels.

Either I get back with extra 300 dv, or I send the rescue party, to rescue the rescue party immobilized in some orbit xD

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

I guess that depends on the player skill. I still tend to overshoot dv requirements even for mun/minmus travels.

Either I get back with extra 3000 dv, or I send the rescue party, to rescue the rescue party immobilized in some orbit xD close the game and give up for a few days

Fixed :confused:

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

...I am not bored with playing the game.  I prefer Science and/or Career modes, so I had to find something to give me direction.  To that end, I dusted off my historical space race challenge and am going through that.  There is four decades' worth of flight firsts for me to deal with, and this helps me learn the ins and outs of KSP2.

I love this directive. It's educational and full of content. I too prefer career, since it tends to force me out of my comfort zone, and in some instances challenged my planning when the budget got tight. I got much better at multitasking flights and squeezing the most benefit per unit cost out of every mission.

I am very excited for colonies. I hope that each system, or base, has optional side missions. The type of craft you would design for a pure moon mission would be so different than developing it on Kerbin. I guess that means I'm hopeful that each base has it's own launch set.

In a related note, I also get my enjoyment out of taking on challenges and requests, then editing my gameplay into palatable videos. I'm definitely not "Bored" by any means. I have been so excited for this game since they announced it! And from day one til now I'm still having fun and learning. 

I've been practicing making shorts to bring people to the forum and into my "Fan Club"

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, SpaceOtter said:

For me, Science Mode is missing, but not as much as the thermal mechanics... For me, landing in Eve without it seems a bit like cheating (not judging, though).

Consider it practice for when science mode does drop! ;p

I only played KSP1 in career mode. I found it helpful as a rough guide about what to tackle in what order and keeping the difficulty/complexity manageable.

With KSP2 I'm discovering sandbox mode and finding that I enjoy it too. In particular, I have knocked out a lot of firsts I never got around to in career mode, especially interplanetary ones... and I have not waited for the game to tell me what I can reuse that LKO station for.

In hindsight, I think I might have played more/longer with KSP1 if I had let myself start a sandbox campaign alongside my career main?

EDIT: Not even remotely close to bored yet.

Edited by Syvwlch

18 minutes ago, nekokamiguru said:

Yes, but that is to be expected for a beta version game with most of the features missing . When it is finished it will not be boring , but that may be a way off. If you can't handle that then shelve the game for now and come back on release day.

Beta does not mean boring.

There are plenty of other Early Access games in both Alpha and Beta states that are fun and not boring.

I will admit the bugs are quite a bit annoying where, after i've had enough, I've had enough. i will then proceed to close the game, turn off my computer, disconnect my keyboard, and mash it all over the place. In all seriousness though, KSP2 is already very expansive with the procedural wings and the color schemes, as well as the graphics and sound that it will be a VERY long time before i get bored of this game.  And boyyy, when interstellar hits, i'll basically be living inside the game. I personally, don't care about the anomalies, not because i have any sort of skill issue in finding them. I find the docking bugs annoying, and sometimes the map view glitches can be difficult, but i can rest easy knowing this will get better. So in short, im not bored.

47 minutes ago, nekokamiguru said:

Yes, but that is to be expected for a beta version game with most of the features missing . When it is finished it will not be boring , but that may be a way off. If you can't handle that then shelve the game for now and come back on release day.

I agree 200%. We signed up for this ordeal when we purchaed Early Access. Now we suck it up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.