will KSP 2 need Unreal Engine???

zemiel123

No.

Unreal isn't better than Unity in the same way as mazda isn't better than toyota or Mac isn't better than Windows.

they all have ups and downs and it's up to the user (in this case, the developer) to decide which one better fits their needs.

besides, that late into development, it's pretty much impossible to change the engine with other result that another 5 years in production.

Edited by The Aziz

Astroneer uses Unreal engine and the current version is 1.26. My rovers still sink into the surface. Another engine is not the silver bullet to magically make everything work smooth and without bugs.

49 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

This sort of talk reminds me of this video.

That's more complex than I thought it would be. You have to type things? Can't just select them from a drop down menu?

23 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

That's more complex than I thought it would be. You have to type things? Can't just select them from a drop down menu?

It's just for converting to console. I mean you always hear how hard that is now you know.

2 hours ago, regex said:

"Hey folks, here's some red meat to argue over for the next few days."

You’re right.   

KSP2 is not going to migrate to Unreal.   End of story.     

Since that’s settled, we can move onto a discussion of Unity vs Unreal, without it directly pertaining to KSP, and that discussion belongs in the lounge.  

The pertinent question is which engine, if any, handles floating point calculations best. 

As far as graphics go, look at paralax, EVE and other enhancements - Unity can do quite well. KSP had a certain art style and that's an artistic choices thing. 

Animations? Personally I think KSP1 kerbals look like cute little green orangatan toddlers full of exuberance. I think KSP2 kerbals look like cursed muppets, and thats not a game engine thing, that's an artistic choices thing. 

Edited by tg626

6 hours ago, zemiel123 said:

then, why does unreal engine look so good with it's animations. maybe the developers should try using unreal engine

Spoiler

A sinner dies and gets into the afterworld.

They say to him: "Well, you did both good and bad things, we don't know where to send you. Have a look yourself and choose."

Paradise: a flowering garden, every in white clothes, playing the harps, having a rest. Very dull.

Hell: a jolly company of sinners and daemons is drinking, smoking, having all other kinds of joy.

"Wow! What a hot place! I stay here."

"Let it be so!"

Several imps jump to him, take him, and bring away, to the cauldron of boiling sulfur.

"Wait... wait... What are you doing? It was looking a much greater story."

The puzzled imps stop at a loss and look at him.

"Dude! Don't you confuse tourism and immigration?"

@zemiel123 its not going to migrate. The amount of work required to do such a thing would end ksp2. Its not financially viable or frankly warranted. Yes ksp2 is buggy and needs a ton of work but its early access. Its not a complete game. If youre not happy with whats available right now then dont play it. Ive been a ksp fan 10 YEARS this summer and have yet to plunk my money into ksp2. Im waiting for things to get more refined and honestly recommend given the posts ive seen from you here in this thread you step back and wait for more refinement in ksp2 as well. Cheers

8 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Astroneer uses Unreal engine and the current version is 1.26. My rovers still sink into the surface. Another engine is not the silver bullet to magically make everything work smooth and without bugs.

I don't even want to remember how unstable it was in early alpha.

24 minutes ago, zemiel123 said:

why don't you make a mod containing Unreal Engine and see the difference?

.,.what?

@zemiel123 its a joke because:

1. They wont do it because there is 0 reason to do so.

2. They wont do it because the time to do so would kill ksp2.

3. They wont do it because it would financially kill ksp2.

4. They wont do it because ksp2 is built off ksp1 which is built off unity.

5. They wont do it because ksp & ksp2 are far far far more complex than you realize.

6. They wont do it because it makes 0 sense to do so.

im no programmer but even i know what you want is grossly misinformed by a complete lack of comprehension of just how fundamentally unrealistic it is. Your desire is functionally the same as trying to reinvent the wheel. Im not trying to be mean here but dude seriously if you are unhappy with ksp2 right now just walk away. It is in EARLY ACCESS. That means in 0 uncertain terms: it will be as buggy as a bayou in deep summer, it will be as optimized as a mud airplane, it will be lacking features, each step forward to address my prior points about an EA title will likely break prior unbroken things and drastically break other broken things. This will NOT be a quick process. This will not be a pretty process. This WILL BE a LONG and likely painful process. How long? Who knows. I joined ksp in july 2013 a day or 2 AFTER 0.21 was launched on steam and it was 5-7 YEARS before 1.0 was out. I fully EXPECT this to be years. Consider this a paid access to an ALPHA version as we clearly can see its not even polished enough to be a beta version. So again, if any of this is displeasing walk away and watch from a distance. Its what Im doing. In the mean time im playing diablo 2 remastered, waiting for jedi survivor, assassins creed mirage and flying my heart out in MSFS. So relax, be patient and please accept the fact an engine swap will never happen because it flatly isnt feasible on multiple levels. Again im not trying to be mean, but brutally honest. Cheers

Edited by AlamoVampire