NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) in KSP

Yeomans

Hey guys, I've been wondering if anyone has managed to make an accurate recreation of any of the planned SLS launch vehicles using either default parts or a pack like NovaPunch. It would be pretty cool to see, and useful, since the largest of the SLS designs will be capable of manned spaceflight to other planets.

If you don't know much about the SLS, a good general overview can be found here.

I have a rather rushed version of the Block II Crew using the NovaPunch pack. The rocket flies marvelously and can get to the moon, however, it would not be capable of interplanetary flight like the Block II should be.

screenshot5uk.png

Has anyone made more accurate recreations? Or are there parts better tailored to this?

Thanks,

Dan

I thought the real thing (or the idea of the real thing) would have larger SRB's in proportion to the whole rocket...

So, how does it fly? can you reach Duna? :3

If I had a more efficient mission profile I probably could do a one-way to Duna, however, the actual Block II should be able to reach Mars (Duna) and back, so I have to definitely tweak it some more.

It got to the Mun and back with fuel to spare, even for a more precise landing near KSC, so with a bit of tweaking I'll have achieved my goals.

I thought the real thing (or the idea of the real thing) would have larger SRB's in proportion to the whole rocket...

-snip-

NovaPunch has a pair of 1.75m SRBs. One burns for 50 seconds, one burns for 80.1 seconds.

I prefer the latter. XD

In all honesty, those 1.75m SRBs would be overkill. A pair could theoretically lift that entire stack off the pad with ease. Just make sure you use fins.

Im currently working on an Ares 1&5. Ares I is still a WIP, but Ares 5 works quite well.

That's awesome! Glad to see someone else is interested in the future space missions :D

Unrelated (sort of), but did you see the Falcon 9 rocket launch earlier?

I wasn't aware we were going to actually go full-range with this, but if you guys want to collaborate on a spacecraft design group (with a focus on recreating real rockets), I'm down for that!

I too made an SLS that looked pretty much identical to yours, I think it's out of date now though. I also made a fairly accurate Saturn V if you want other rockets based on real ones.

The entire thing with 5 F-1 engines (without proper payload) 5m 5x2m

29asjra.png

Second stage with 5 J-2 engines 5m-3m 5x1m

118j7df.png

Third stage with 1 J-2 3m-1m

2vx3aqw.png

I wasn't aware we were going to actually go full-range with this, but if you guys want to collaborate on a spacecraft design group (with a focus on recreating real rockets), I'm down for that!

I'd be up for this too, sounds like a lot of fun if we could get a couple of people involved

I'd be up for this too, sounds like a lot of fun if we could get a couple of people involved

Well, feel free to PM me if you're interested and have some designs, and that goes for anyone else, I'll find a way for all of us to communicate and collaborate if we get a few people interested.

No this is a tall rocket and suprisingly stable, This would be my Falcon 9 Recreation.

wc7dR.png

That's pretty good! I wasn't able to recreate it according to the dimensions (to kerbin scale, anyways), but you seem to have gone in the right direction. Can you simulate the engine failure that happened the other night too? :D

But in all seriousness, good thing that failure didn't jeopardize the mission..

Just thought I'd put this here for comparison :)

*would put it in a spoiler if i knew how :P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34517[/ATTACH]

I guess I should've clarified better, that's my recreation of the 130t variant, not the 70t variant... this one in the image:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34518[/ATTACH]

I am making some modifications, if anything the boosters were too small...

That's pretty good! I wasn't able to recreate it according to the dimensions (to kerbin scale, anyways), but you seem to have gone in the right direction. Can you simulate the engine failure that happened the other night too? :D

But in all seriousness, good thing that failure didn't jeopardize the mission..

Hmm I didn't notice the engine failure but I was out like a light about 20 minutes after launch. I know one of the engines shuts off actually sooner than the others and It happens to be the Gimballing engine in the center I threw in to give it some control.

EDIT: If you want to try it the link is in my signature.

Hmm I didn't notice the engine failure but I was out like a light about 20 minutes after launch. I know one of the engines shuts off actually sooner than the others and It happens to be the Gimballing engine in the center I threw in to give it some control.

EDIT: If you want to try it the link is in my signature.

They didn't make a big deal of it, because at that altitude the rocket could still complete the mission with 3 of it's 9 engines not working, which goes to show that the rocket is pretty damn reliable.

And thanks, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Thats pretty much my plan with KSP, BUT the rockets do need to be fully functional IMO. So if the Saturn-V for instance was not mun capable, including return, I would be in favor of tweaking the looks for function.. BUT, posting the pre-tweeked eye candy sounds fun.

I guess I should've clarified better, that's my recreation of the 130t variant, not the 70t variant... this one in the image:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34518[/ATTACH]

I am making some modifications, if anything the boosters were too small...

Very nice... very nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34540[/ATTACH]

Here's my WIP Ares V. I'm almost done with the Ares I, but I have to get the proportions right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34544[/ATTACH]

On another note, I have a successful Gemini LV that I'll be posting soon in the space craft exchange.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34546[/ATTACH]

Now done with the Gemini, look in the spacecraft exchange.

Edited by 0jam3290

A while ago, someone made a model of all the Saturn V parts, that was nice, don't have it anymore though I think. Also, didn't someone make some parts similar to the Ares rockets? I thought I remembered something like that. Mods disappear quickly...