This noob got a tiny little rocket out of kerban's orbit.

WechyPichu

Ouch.. Fairly PITA orbit to rescue from without resorting to autopilots. That's a mission i'd just end heh.

Yeah, i did. But I restarted it and I got a pretty good orbit, and I took pictures of the ship. Here is the new orbital path.eMXne

Don't listen to Qumefox. That is exactly the kind of mission you want to attempt a rescue for. Everyone else has done a standard Kerbol-orbit recovery, why not something new and more challenging?

And a pic of the craft would be welcome, or share the .craft file if you can.

Don't listen to Qumefox. That is exactly the kind of mission you want to attempt a rescue for. Everyone else has done a standard Kerbol-orbit recovery, why not something new and more challenging?

Uhh...what's a rescue?

I've done an eccentric solar orbit rescue before with stock parts and no autopilot.. Hell I didn't even use protractor or kerbal engineer redux back then. Yes it's possible. even exciting to do.... once.. It also took me like 3 straight hours of orbital corrections and fine tuning to match orbits, capture, then get an intercept with kerbin again.

I just end missions that get stuck in solar orbit now.

Uhh...what's a rescue?

You send a 3-man craft with return capability to rendezvous with the other craft. Make sure you have one or two of the Kerbals in the 3-man craft EVA off the craft before it launches. Then you have a 3-man capsule with only one Kerbal in it to pick up the other Kerbals who are stranded. Rendezvous in orbit is very tricky, unless you use the MechJeb plugin which makes it only tricky. ;)

I believe this is where you can find the MechJeb mod. I'm still using a stock .17 build (but I'm losing patience on my learning curve), so I haven't went looking for mods yet.

I'm not sure mechjeb will work with the demo.

I also don't advocate autopilots, but i'm a bit of a purist.. Info displays like protractor and kerbal engineer redux are pretty much the only mods I use.

The challenge is why I keep (unintentionally) stranding kerbals all over the solar system. (I try to get them home.. Honest!)

Edited by Qumefox

You send a 3-man craft with return capability to rendezvous with the other craft. Make sure you have one or two of the Kerbals in the 3-man craft EVA off the craft before it launches. Then you have a 3-man capsule with only one Kerbal in it to pick up the other Kerbals who are stranded. Rendezvous in orbit is very tricky, unless you use the MechJeb plugin which makes it only tricky. ;)

I believe this is where you can find the MechJeb mod. I'm still using a stock .17 build (but I'm losing patience on my learning curve), so I haven't went looking for mods yet.

...I'm not sure if I can do that, mainly because I'm on the demo.

...I'm not sure if I can do that, mainly because I'm on the demo.

You're right. You have a 3-man craft in the demo, but no way to empty a seat or refill it again. You can always end the mission and pretend a rescue ship saved them. That is what I did. ;)

The demo only allows 1 flight at a time, so a rescue mission isn't possible. Still, congrats on your escape velocity. Keep modifying your design! Maybe try getting it so that you can escape kerbin and then circularize your orbit. If you can get a good design with that kind of capability then once you (hopefully) upgrade to the full game you can jump out of the gate with an interplanetary capable design and head for Duna or Eve! While your limited to the Demo you should just refine your rocket designs, maybe land on the Mun and return, practice achieving and adjusting orbits around Kerbin or the Mun. These are all basic skills that will help you in the full version. Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.