Calculated Delta-V is required to create maneuver nodes. However sometimes the "calculated" delta-V is 0 despite still having fuel.

Shiny55

Yellow warning comes up "Not enough fuel to place maneuver node" and I cant place one, although I have plenty of fuel (plus electricity and comms net OK). 

Same error even when switching to 'infinite fuel' cheat.

Error clears when I save and reload the game

Possibly due to the vessel being the finsl stage of an asparagus setup?

Especially with complex craft, multiple engines, multiple directions of thrust, and multiple fuel tanks, depending on how the stages are set up and what engines are active and various other factors, the calculated delta-V can be 0 for a ship despite still having an active engine burning fuel. But you cant create maneuver nodes. The work around is to alter your ship or stages in order to get the delta-V to recalculate. 

Edited by Anth12

I also had this issue with a lander that had just been detached from its transfer vehicle in orbit of Ike. The "Not enough fuel..." warning came up when I tried to place a manoeuver node, even though I had full tanks and was able to burn and alter my trajectory. After I'd landed and done a reload the problem was gone.

Here's some more info and my save file for the issue reported.

I won't give full repro steps as that would involve launching and docking 3 different vehicles, but a synopsis of the events leading up to the issue appearing is as follows.

I launched a nuclear transfer vehicle into Kerbin orbit, then a tanker that docked with it and filled it with fuel. After that I launched a lander vehicle and docked that with the transfer vehicle, then re-entered the tanker. After that I carried out the next 4 steps, which seem to be critical.

1. Deactivate the Terrier engine on the vehicle (it's the only one in the game save) via the right click menu.

2. Go to the KSC and then to the Tracking Station.

3. Use the menu on the left to take control of the vehicle again, named "(Combined)-4"

4. Try to place a maneuver node on its orbital path and the error "Not enough fuel to place maneuver node." is displayed, even though the tanks are full and the Nerv engines are enabled.

kfYxsFM.jpg

The order above of deactivating the Terrier and going to the KSC/Tracking Station is important, as switching the order of those steps results in the error not being displayed.

I'm providing the save files for before and after the issues arises. The working version (before the 4 steps above are followed) and broken version (after the 4 steps) are here (save files are named "Broken" and "Working" to identify their state).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1siT9Fs03zyMfyQH8jtnqYlp4OCD7WNpH/view?usp=sharing

My setup is Windows 10, 1070GTX and the version v0.1.2.0 of the game, which was modded at the time I found the issue, but I have since tried it with an unmodded install and that has the same issue.

I'll see if I can repeat this behaviour starting with a new build and vehicle.

ok, I couldn't repeat this with a simplified version of my description above, by docking a smaller Nerv powered vehicle and a Terrier powered one, then disabling the Terrier, followed by going through the KSC/Tracking Station to the docked ships, as this did not result in the "Not enough fuel to place maneuver node" error. So, it looks like something more specific is required for it to occur.

However, I've had this occur twice with the same vehicles, in the same situation, except for location (once was around Kerbin, the other around Duna). Given that both times I was in the process of setting up an interplanetary transfer when the issue occurs, I think it's almost certain that when in Duna orbit, I also disabled the terrier on my docked vehicles, then went to the tracking Station (in order to use high warp to a transfer window), then went back to the vehicles and experienced the issue, just as happened around Kerbin today.

Edited by purpleivan

Stuff like this is exactly why, in my opinion, the devs should immediately remove such "features" that do not allow you to plan a maneuver node when the game thinks you don't have enough fuel. (There are many other reasons too, but there's already a separate treat about this)

Agreed, this "feature" is more of a problem than it's worth and currently biting me hard.

I managed to avoid getting the errant error by only disabling my Terrier engine after going to the space center and warping, but a few burns and warps later, once in Eve SOI, the issue returned and I now have a perfectly good ship, stuck there without the ability to plan maneuvers.

Something else that I noticed after initially avoiding the issue around Kerbin, was that after that, the time to burn figure was much higher than it should have been (e.g. around 10 minutes instead of 2), as if the thrust of the enabled engine was much lower than it should have been (although the burn remaining bar works fine). So I suspect that the game is calculating the burn time based on my disabled Terrier and not the enabled NERV.

Edited by purpleivan

On 4/15/2023 at 10:06 PM, Shiny55 said:

Yellow warning comes up "Not enough fuel to place maneuver node" and I cant place one, although I have plenty of fuel (plus electricity and comms net OK). 

Could you give some details of the vehicle that experiened this issue. For example is it two vehicles docked together and does it have some some engines disabled and others enabled?

Just wanting to see if there is something in common between yours and mine, that might be problematic for the game in its current state.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:06 PM, Shiny55 said:

Could you give some details of the vehicle that experiened this issue. For example is it two vehicles docked together and does it have some some engines disabled and others enabled?

Just wanting to see if there is something in common between yours and mine, that might be problematic for the game in its current state.

Breaking news... I have a workaround :happy:

If I undock the vessels and re-dock them,  then the "Not enough fuel to place maneuver node" issue is gone. So all is not lost for my brave crew in Eve SOI.

ARRRRGH!! Spoke too soon.

After undocking my lander the issue is back again. At least I'm in orbit around Gilly so can waste as much fuel as I want getting back to my transfer vehicle after landing and returning to it.

Edited by purpleivan

• 1 month later...