A Taste of Science

Nate Simpson

12 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I refuse to acknowledge anything Nate Simpson says without him first committing to a pinky swear and a promise that if he doesn't deliver, I'll get to drink his Coke.

I think I understand where you might be coming from with this statement. However it is still true that if Nate or whoever is in charge of PR has been found lying, or almost lying before, there's no reason to further believe what he says.

Your posture and the opposite are not mutually exclusive: PD's PR is the sole authoritative source on the game, but they're also untrustable out of having been found breaking promises or almost lying, or overstating stuff before.

13 hours ago, DunaManiac said:
14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

How about we stop there? IVA has never made a vessel operate any differently, additional engines have.

You haven't adressed any other part of my post.

I've addressed the bit I needed to address. The game hinges on engines, not IVA. Two completely different things that can't be compared.

16 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

My man, most of the things that have changed from KSP1 to KSP2 that are currently in the game can be classified as cosmetic or non-vital and aren't on the roadmap. The definitions for those words are so vague and so personal nobody has been able to defend such stupid argument without resorting to pretty much ignoring anything but what they care about, which you have a pretty good example of right here above.

If we do non-vitals at an arbitrary point in the future, why do we have clouds? why do we have vessel painting? those are literal cosmetics that you can leave for the literal tail end of development. This is why I care little for those opinions, because those opinions are only being thrown around to shake the wasp nest and have zero weight to them.

Because development on various features is done in parallel, it makes sense prioritize cosmetic features that more people will experience in a regular basis... At least in my opinion. 

Again, I'm not saying that IVA would not have a positive impact on some players' experience, I'm just guessing, based on my own experience with the game as well as my vicarious experience through others, that IVA has a small impact overall compared to other features, cosmetic or otherwise.

Well, I think that it's safe now to say "So much for the update"... :/

5 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Having a look around is pretty fun, though.  The F2 and observe the prettiness for a while thing is not getting old for me.

Agreed,
but the carrot stick
is still something I need.
Screenshot-2.png

33 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Well, I think that it's safe now to say "So much for the update"... :/

Sorry to break it to you so harshly but two last posts were out at 8:55 PM CET. Which is about two hours from now.

Edited by The Aziz

21 hours ago, Alexoff said:

Science is also not a vital element. In fact, it introduces restrictions on the use of parts, forcing you to go from the smallest and weakest to the most powerful and effective parts. You can simply create such restrictions in your imagination, for example, until you reach Dune, do not use parts larger than 1.5 m, nuclear engines only after Moho's visit, and so on.

for me it is the most vital element

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I've addressed the bit I needed to address. The game hinges on engines, not IVA. Two completely different things that can't be compared.

IVA would be awesome and VR for both IVA and EVA would be even better

On 5/16/2023 at 2:54 PM, Nicrose said:

honestly wish we weren’t told that we are getting information this week. I have been feverishly checking Twitter and  the forums only to see nothing new only to find out nothing is going on. I’m starting to lose interest really quick, not going to lie. Other games are being updated and I find that their communication is far better with their fan base. I guess this is my last attempt at being heard before I just move on and come back in a year to see how things are going because at this rate I keep getting excited for nothing. Really wish I returned the game when I could. 

I might’ve posted this a little too early originally but surely it’s appropriate to bring it up again now that it’s Friday and all we got was another community challenge to try to achieve with the game breaking bugs. 

27 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

It is quite interesting that "next week" always means "on Friday". But the week starts on Monday...

You want an update of what they did Monday-Friday to wait all weekend and be posted on the following Monday?

25 minutes ago, Nicrose said:

I might’ve posted this a little too early originally but surely it’s appropriate to bring it up again now that it’s Friday and all we got was another community challenge to try to achieve with the game breaking bugs. 

Aaand once again I did a research for you. 5 posts were posted at 8:55 PM CET. One at 9:55.  One at 11. Two at 10:55.  One at 10:35. One at 12:45AM. One, the first, at 8:40. Patch notes and April Fools not included.

It's 8:30PM at this second. Extrapolate from available data.

Edited by The Aziz

10 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Counterpoint: inability to see the ground below is a gamechanging mechanic. You don't know if after your deorbit burn you're ending up in the ocean or mountain slope.

That really only matters on Eve - or a similarly shrouded planet. On pretty much every other world they make for no difference other than eye candy. Around Eve, a serious problem. Elesew here? Not very "game changing."

9 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Can't turn off the clouds.

However, they can be nullified rather easily through a scansat-like feature.

1 minute ago, DunaManiac said:

That really only matters on Eve - or a similarly shrouded planet.

I bet the team has plans for one or two bodies with permanent overcast. So it's only "on Eve, so far"

2 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

However, they can be nullified rather easily through a scansat-like feature.

if such thing arrives. Until then, you're going blind.

58 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Aaand once again I did a research for you. 5 posts were posted at 8:55 PM CET. One at 9:55.  One at 11. Two at 10:55.  One at 10:35. One at 12:45AM. One, the first, at 8:40. Patch notes and April Fools not included.

It's 8:30PM at this second. Extrapolate from available data.

Yeah just saw on Twitter that they post updates in the afternoon. Guess I’m just salty at them waiting to the last possible second of the week to give an update. Thanks for the research tho! Helps a lot :) 

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

I bet the team has plans for one or two bodies with permanent overcast.

That's based off an opinion.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

if such thing arrives. Until then, you're going blind.

I would argue that the atmosphere itself already poses a challenge as opposed to clouds, especially since the map view does not account for atmospheric slowdown or body rotation when telling you where to land. Clouds add to that challenge.

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

You want an update of what they did Monday-Friday to wait all weekend and be posted on the following Monday?

Here it is - the main event of May! Announcement of the release date of the patch, which will fix a few hundred more small bugs and increase performance by 10%! :D

31 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Also worth noting that @Ghostii_Space confirmed on the Discord that we'll be getting news today.

rZpk5gB.png

Thanks for the heads up! I honestly am daunted by their discord. Idk where I would even find relevant information. Appreciate the update tho! 

Edited by Nicrose

14 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

Now we found out IVA wasn't the core vital feature, grid fins were, should have been obvious to everyone.

Perhaps someday we will find out which bugs were the most vital to fix.