Mohopeful

Nate Simpson

2 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

What they’re building now: grid fins!

It's really, truly sad that Squad acknowledged reusability gameplay with one of their scenarios but didn't pull their fingers out and add parts for that kind of gameplay. This is amazing!

When can we expect airbrake wings, like those on Starship for maintaining high AoAs?

Edited by Bej Kerman

Kinda odd that the same few developers (Mortoc, Alex M, Chris A) keep getting mentioned.  Are other people not doing work worth mentioning?  Or maybe much of Intercept has moved on to whatever project requires level design  and when Nate says the velocity is good, it's meant to be caveated with 'for the 10 people still working on the project'. 

On the one hand - it would make sense for how the project is staying funded despite low ongoing sales.  And explain why the patches are coming out slower.  And why much of Intercept has great morale. 

On the other hand...wait, no, it just makes sense.

I’m going to hold off on itemizing other fixes until they’re confirmed zapped by QA

That makes sense. I'm happy to hear we will know somewhat in advance what was worked on / fixed.

So an announcement that you will sometime in the future make an announcement, huh? Is anyone else reminded of that "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Jason Alexander and Larry David argue over their meeting to plan a meeting?

That sun flare video is stunning! Better VFX and better performance? Yes please!

It will be nice when the grid fins get here, but I suspect as others have noted that we probably shouldn't assume they're in this patch. That said, I would really like some new toys to play with!

If you want to play with grid fins now, then you might want to check out https://spacedock.info/mod/3336/SORRY

image.png

A fine May afternoon to you, fellow Kerbonauts!

I’ll start with a bit of good news: the v0.1.3.0 update will be dropping in June. We’ll announce an exact target date when we’re a little closer to the big day. We’ve already seen a few big bugs go down (you can throw a fairing away now in the VAB without endlessly redeploying its editor, for example), but I’m going to hold off on itemizing other fixes until they’re confirmed zapped by QA. Regardless, we’re feeling good about our progress in all areas and are confident that the next update will provide good performance, stability, and gameplay improvements.

In the meantime, our design and content teams continue to bring new parts to life. What they’re building now: grid fins! These were designed by Chris Adderley and brought to life by Alexander Martin (and Chris would like me to point out that the fin on the right is shown upside-down so that you can see the beautiful serration detail):

image.png

Our tech artist Jon Cioletti (with the help of graphics gurus Chris Mortonson and Phil Fortier) has pulled off the impressive feat of improving both polish and performance by overhauling the solar lens flare occlusion system. Lens flare occlusion (the scaling/disappearance of the sun’s lens flare when passing behind objects) no longer uses raycasts or colliders — now we’re literally counting pixels on the sun itself. The result: no more sun peeking through terrains or oceans, no more weird flare behavior behind vehicle parts, and the sun now shines correctly through visors, trusses, parachutes, and windows! Check it out:

In community highlight news: we’ve reviewed your capybaras and have found them variously cute, hilarious, and unsettling. For more capybara shenanigans, check out this roundup. Lookit this little fella from @Inyxia:

image.png

In other creative news, the last Dres-bound Weekly Challenge produced some very ambitious missions. We have very much enjoyed following your successes and near-successes. We know that flights of this complexity can anger the Kraken, especially in the game’s current state, and we salute those who push through regardless.

Check out this not-at-all-precariously-balanced lander by AVATAR Aang:

image.png

Or this cool rover hauler by GoldDragon:
image.png

Let’s see if we can rival these results with our next challenge: we’re going to Moho! Visiting the innermost planet of the Kerbolar System takes quite a lot of Delta-V, but if you’re up to it, you can try one of the following:

• Primary goal: do a Moho flyby and take some screenshots from orbit!
  • Stretch goal: land on Moho and return to Kerbin!
  • Jeb-level goal: land a Kerbal in the Mohole... and then return them to Kerbin!
  • Val-level goal: all of the above, but get your Moho intercept by using a gravity assist from Eve!

See you all next week, and happy flying!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA IN JUNE!?!?!?!? OMG LOL.  AND ITS NOT EVEN NEW CONTENT.  IT'S JUST A PATCH!!!  HAHAHAHA

the v0.1.3.0 update will be dropping in June.

June isn't all that far away, we can wait. I think it's a pretty reasonable time, because it looks like this patch might have those new parts!

2 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Maybe not everyone enjoys being stalled.

But now you made me curious, what's it to you if people are eager?

According to your profile you don't own KSP2 yet.

Eager is fine. It's impatient to the point of entitled that irks me.

And yes I do not own ksp2. I'll buy it when I feel the product is worth the price. Until then though I will enjoy the updates as they come. And other entertainment options.

I don't understand the DEV pipeline of this game. 

There are fundamental core-gameplay issues with the game, and you add stuff like grid fins and the matching mechanics before delivering a science update, a performance fix or several bug sweeping patches after each other. 

And this all is dated to June? what.

Players stopped playing the game because the core is rotten, not because they were missing the grid fins. How is this even something that needs to be said. Who is prioritizing stuff over there?

Edited by Mantarochen

2 hours ago, Strawberry said:

It's a tough road to walk, too many "We fixed x bug" and people wont get excited, too much "look at this really cool thing we did!" and people will get bored. Personally I think stuff that could help here is 1. Show more of the wip big overhauls in video form. Stuff like here's a video of a spacecraft reentering or here's a test mortoc did to test out cbt would be great, and 2. Simply list more stuff. Stuff like, hey we're in the final stages of QA testing for this this and this bug and while we cannot confirm it yet we hope to get them out next patch would be great. 

And it seems very strange to me to show quite simple separate part for rockets three months after the release of "a game without new features". In the fall of 2020, I became suspicious when we were shown the creation of kerbals, although the game was then at the stage of "polishing". Why not show:
- a short video with the collection of science
- a short video with the construction of the space center as we move forward in our career
- a short video with a small colony on Minmus
- a short video with the colony editor
- a short video with the editor of huge spaceships being built right in orbit
- a short clip with a craft descending from orbit in a plasma cloud
- a short video with multiplayer (which Nate and his friends actively played in 2019), not a screenshot
- a short video with the extraction of resources (solid hydrogen from Jool for example)
- a short video with a Kerbal walking on unknown planet under unknown star
- a short video with fully functioning buildings of the space center
It just seems that the developers are exclusively engaged in the core of the game, a remaster of early versions of KSP1. To find out that some new features even in work, we have to take the word of the developers. They seem not going to show us something worthwhile.

Update 0.1.3.0 will include new parts, as we've said we are trying to balance new content, bug fixing, performance improvements and science development. I can confirm that all of those are being worked on right now. 

1 minute ago, nestor said:

Update 0.1.3.0 will include new parts, as we've said we are trying to balance new content, bug fixing, performance improvements and science development. I can confirm that all of those are being worked on right now. 

How loud do we have to yell that bugs that have existed since day one need to be fixed first?  New content is great, but it will be useless if the game-breaking bugs aren't fixed.  Honestly, it feels like our bug reports and posts and such are falling on deaf ears.

Players:  "Hey, we noticed that trajectories are off and orbits decay."

Devs:  "Look at the new shinier we are working on!"

1 hour ago, RaBDawG said:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA IN JUNE!?!?!?!? OMG LOL.  AND ITS NOT EVEN NEW CONTENT.  IT'S JUST A PATCH!!!  HAHAHAHA

And a few years ago, people were rightfully complaining about Squad not giving enough attention to bug fixes and performance improvements. Now people complain Intercept is doing things the right way? For a game that needs these patches? Can this community make its mind up on whether it wants these bugs fixing or not?

:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, nestor said:

That's great, but you can understand why people are dissappointed to hear that a patch that was expected in 4 weeks, then delayed to 6-7 weeks (because that's more efficient?) and now to 8-12 weeks, when there are major bug issues and major features missing?  Even putting in a few new parts isn't going to make people that happy. 12 weeks would be barely less than KSP1 did some full version updates, as you know.

Did science have no development work at all done before EA launch?  Is the full team at Intercept working on KSP2 now?  

45 minutes ago, nestor said:

Please fix the core gameplay bugs before adding new parts… the game at present is a turd, stop trying to polish it.

52 minutes ago, nestor said:

Great to hear

but also put a  focus on bugs cant enjoy the parts if its hard to play with em

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife

I'm sorry guys, they are planning to drop the patch on my birthday to win me over, which is in June, but I'm not disclosing the date.

Jokes aside, most of what I have to say can be condensed in a single word: "ouch". But here's the extended version anyways:

You tell us you're slowing [even more] the updates to include more stuff, and make the process more efficient, let's say that's fine. Now you come, month and a week after the last patch to tell us you can't even confirm a single bugfix, and there's still [at the very least] 2 more weeks. Come on man, that's not even unprofessional, it's straight up amateur.

17 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I am kind of amazed at how much emotional content people still experience at this point. 

Like on both sides of this coin. 

When Nate tells people the patch is further delayed in a last minute statement, and that's good news?

Ever hear the expression '(XYZ)ing in someone's mouth and calling it rain'?  It's understandable people would be (XYZ)ed off.

Nonetheless...I sense a lot more resignation in the replies here than anger.  And not many replies given the contents of the post.

3 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

Kinda odd that the same few developers (Mortoc, Alex M, Chris A) keep getting mentioned.  Are other people not doing work worth mentioning?  Or maybe much of Intercept has moved on to whatever project requires level design  and when Nate says the velocity is good, it's meant to be caveated with 'for the 10 people still working on the project'. 

I mean, the reason why those few developers get mentioned a lot is because that's the team for animating new parts and recently they've been showing off new parts. Im sure others were involved in the creation of the part as a whole, but its a lot more blurry who contributes to an idea versus who contributes to a model. I dont think its that deep.

Devs have different skills, only a handful of people have the right skills to work on those bugs. The rest are working on stuff that is adequate for their skills. People working on new parts has no impact on those orbit bugs being fixed sooner or later. The right people are working on those bugs and we will let you know once we are certain about the fix. 

5 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

I’ll start with a bit of good news: the v0.1.3.0 update will be dropping in June. We’ll announce an exact target date when we’re a little closer to the big day. We’ve already seen a few big bugs go down (you can throw a fairing away now in the VAB without endlessly redeploying its editor, for example), but I’m going to hold off on itemizing other fixes until they’re confirmed zapped by QA. Regardless, we’re feeling good about our progress in all areas and are confident that the next update will provide good performance, stability, and gameplay improvements.

Thanks for the update. Fins and the flare look great.