Mohopeful

Nate Simpson

19 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

What’s wrong with DLC?  I bought both KSP DLC’s - they were great, and cost me practically nothing per minute of entertainment.  Great deals.

Where did I say there was anything wrong with it? I said we'd have it to look forward to, I was being positive.

In fact, the comparison with Uber is most likely not correct. It seems that PA wasn't born in the throes of delays, turning a full release into early access, turning early access into a decent pre-alpha at full price. Looking back at the old videos from the developers, it feels like they were going to make a documentary about themselves, a lot of slow-mo with music with voice-over and very little acting.

Wow, reading through the last couple of pages of this thread is depressing , but at least I guess I understand now why the core physics parts of the game are still so messed up. It sounds like responsibility for all that code has completely changed hands several times while it was still a hot mess. I can hardly fathom how big of a setback it must have been every time that happened, especially if somebody along the line made some bad decisions that will require starting over on major parts and/or didn't leave behind adequate documentation for the next person to really understand everything they did. Meanwhile, it looks like  they've got  a crack team of artists and marketing people trying to build out all the cosmetic and story elements of the game on top of this deeply flawed, play-killing foundation, with no clear indication how that can be fixed anytime soon.  I sure hope that they have found/can quickly find somebody who is equal to the task of getting them out of this pickle, because I think no amount of window dressing is going to get more people to play the game the way it is now.

Edited by herbal space program

1 hour ago, WelshSteW said:

Where did I say there was anything wrong with it? I said we'd have it to look forward to, I was being positive.

Only sad part is the wait will be long for robotics. I already miss the hinges and rotors.

I quit playing for today. Tried going to Dres. Didn't work out. Some timewarp bugs, a few intercept bugs, some stuff with Delta V. 

Was it frustrating? Yes. 

Will I try the same mission tomorrow? Nope. 

Will I play tomorrow? Probably. 

Will I try the mission again when the update goes live? Oh yes. 

Will I be disappointed if and when some of the bugs are still persistent? Possibly.

Will I stay on the forums to lament about the state of the game (which is in early access) until my eyes go sore? Nah, I'd rather go outside for a bit, touch some grass.

1 hour ago, LoSBoL said:

Only sad part is the wait will be long for robotics. I already miss the hinges and rotors.

Unless things have changed - and they very may well have - it's been confirmed that we won't get robotics outside of mods.

2 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

Awesome.  Hard to tell around here these days, when we simultaneously aren’t getting any comms from the devs and all the comms we’re getting from the devs are bad news.

1 hour ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

I quit playing for today. Tried going to Dres. Didn't work out. Some timewarp bugs, a few intercept bugs, some stuff with Delta V. 

Was it frustrating? Yes. 

Will I be disappointed if and when some of the bugs are still persistent? Possibly.

Will I stay on the forums to lament about the state of the game (which is in early access) until my eyes go sore? Nah, I'd rather go outside for a bit, touch some grass.

Did you actually get to Dres, or did the game bug out too much before you got that far?  If you did, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the planet and its rings.  My experience (for what it's worth) was that the surface was nothing to marvel at, and the rings were a complete letdown.  Which is why I'm interested in hearing your thoughts if you got that far; my experience is my own, and I know others have seen the rings and been wowed by them.

Just now, Scarecrow71 said:

Unless things have changed - and they very may well have - it's been confirmed that we won't get robotics outside of mods.

It's been confirmed that we won't get robotics outside of mods before 1.0. Kind of different from "won't get robotics [full stop]".

18 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's been confirmed that we won't get robotics outside of mods before 1.0. Kind of different from "won't get robotics [full stop]".

I don't recall Nate or Shana using the 1.0 qualifier...but it is entirely possible they did and I missed it.

12 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I don't recall Nate or Shana using the 1.0 qualifier...but it is entirely possible they did and I missed it.

From the first AMA:

On 3/24/2023 at 12:24 PM, Dakota said:

Will robotics be implemented in a future update? 

Probably not before 1.0. There's a lot of work leading up to the full 1.0 release. When we get to it, we want to make sure it's fully implemented, so after 1.0...one day.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Did you actually get to Dres, or did the game bug out too much before you got that far?  If you did, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the planet and its rings. 

It was a speck at my screen. I was not close. I was far away. Very far.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:22 PM, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

Was it frustrating? Yes. 

Heh, welcome to the fun of an early access game. May I recommend a different playing strategy? Here's what I've been doing in KSP2 - and for the most part, it's not for anything other than giggles, grins, and all-out laughs!

• I do not do any serious sessions where I expect any sort of save game to ever be able to load. So, no long term missions like I do in my 1.3 game.
  • I throw crap craft together and come up with the most absurd craft I can think of... To paraphrase a USPS commercial, "click and ship" and wow, have I seen some spectacular explosions! And unexpectedly, a few have gotten into orbit, and a few have made it to the Mün and back!
  • I also never dock anything knowing that docking does not work.

And when I feel myself getting angry, I just go do something non-computer for a while. It just isn't worth getting angry over something that's supposed to be fun.

9 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Yeah, that was 2 months ago...and I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning!  :D

That's not an excuse. I doubt that you're hyped up for breakfast with same intensity :P

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Oh, so close and yet so far away. "Moar boosters" is the cry of my people! :sticktongue:

I burned one tonne of monopropellant with my thrusters before I realized it was no use :) halved my speed without changing my trajectory. I'll see you again, Dres!! Until next time...! 

1 minute ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

I burned one tonne of monopropellant with my thrusters before I realized it was no use :) halved my speed without changing my trajectory. I'll see you again, Dres!! Until next time...! 

:cool: Newbie! buhahaha...

On some of these early KSP2 designs, I have reverted back to what I did before all the mods. I put both forward facing and the traditional back-facing rockets. Instead of a heavy reliance of monopropellant to flip a rocket over to slow it down (as NASA did with the Apollo missions and is doing with Artemis), I just have the craft designed so that it has equal thrust available at both ends. Sure, the thing is ugly, but sometimes UGLY is functional.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Yeah, that was 2 months ago...and I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning!  :D

Yeah, I'm not sure why I remembered where I had seen it.

8 minutes ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

I just spent two hours building a Cassini-Huygens replica. I don't like ugly. :(

I understand. Do you know what the original KSP taught me?

• The Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica is garbage. It won't work as it does in the show. If you get it to survive reentry, you aren't going back into space in it. And it certainly does not handle that well in space, either!
  • The X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars? Um, should never be used in a fight. It cannot fly well in an atmosphere and won't make it into orbit if launched from a planet.
  • The U.S.S. Enterprise - Nah, I don't want to spoil it for you. :blush:

I do have some rather nifty looking craft in KSP (original), and when KSP2 comes out, I plan on going back to the craft I enjoy making craft that aren't so ugly. But when the game is going to treat me so poorly and I want to do some short evening missions, ugly craft it is!

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:
  • The Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica is garbage. It won't work as it does in the show. If you get it to survive reentry, you aren't going back into space in it. And it certainly does not handle that well in space, either!
  • The X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars? Um, should never be used in a fight. It cannot fly well in an atmosphere and won't make it into orbit if launched from a planet.
  • The U.S.S. Enterprise - Nah, I don't want to spoil it for you. :blush:

To be fair if you could manipulate gravity at will they might fly a bit better :D