Mohopeful

Nate Simpson

15 hours ago, herbal space program said:

If I thought that is what I had actually gotten, then I wouldn't feel  as disappointed as I do now.  I can totally wait for various features to be implemented, but at least the basic game engine mechanics should have been pretty solid when they made their first release, and they weren't. I would really like some kind of explanation for that.

You have both gotten this explanation and will never get it.

The explanation is that the publisher told them that they were releasing on that day, with 0 wiggle room. And on that day, what they had got released.

You will never hear that from anyone whose job revolves around KSP2 because their job will stop revolving around KSP2 if they say it.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

2 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

The explanation is that the publisher told them that they were releasing on that day, with 0 wiggle room. And on that day, what they had got released.

You will never hear that from anyone whose job revolves around KSP2 because their job will stop revolving around KSP2 if they say it.

Fair enough I guess.  Hopefully the properly functioning version of the game will precede the tell-all memoir! :D

8 hours ago, Kerbart said:

An update on "when the next patch will be rolled out" was promised "next week" and that was two weeks ago.

! Wrong.

If you read it you'd know what was said was

We expect to be able to communicate timing for the upcoming v0.1.3.0 update next week

9 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

By all means sue them. It is your right.

I really doubt that - not the part where the publisher told them they had to release, that is very likely.

What I doubt is that this is that's the reason the game is in the state it is.

The most likely reason the publisher told them to finally release something is also the most likely reason for the game being the way it was: constantly being behind schedule and making much slower progress than expected based on the communication of the studio. Let's not forget that in Summer 2021 the game was (according to Nate) in the final stretch with them only sewing together all the large parts of the game. Based on that I doubt it was have released in better shape if it had been released 3 months later. 

T2's CEO went live on CNBC. It's almost unnecessary to say KSP2 didn't make the cut to be a relevant mention.

You can check their plans (Private Division has another game slated for release today, for example) here. You can further read here, where once again KSP2 is at least mentioned. This should also make it very clear why "June 30" is the only thing they can confirm, as they're probably forced to release "the first big update" or something along those lines they can tell to suits, before that date. 

Edit to add, something from another doc:

CWxLj2A.png

Edited by PDCWolf

9 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

T2's CEO went live on CNBC. It's almost unnecessary to say KSP2 didn't make the cut to be a relevant mention.

You can check their plans (Private Division has another game slated for release today, for example) here. You can further read here, where once again KSP2 is at least mentioned. This should also make it very clear why "June 30" is the only thing they can confirm, as they're probably forced to release "the first big update" or something along those lines they can tell to suits, before that date. 

Edit to add, something from another doc:

CWxLj2A.png

This makes clear what had been said quite a few times already, also for the suits. They are in it for the long haul.

2 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

This makes clear what had been said quite a few times already, also for the suits. They are in it for the long haul.

Right, this is something Nate has repeated over and over again.  They are in it for the long haul.  And I currently have no reason to doubt him.

1 hour ago, LoSBoL said:

Except when you mix in sentences like "built from the ground up", "realistic environments", "unprecedented detail" and so, you know this is just marketing bullcrap. Just to be clear, I believe their confirmation that development is already funded for years, what I'm not doing is deriving anything trustworthy from these statements, other than the June 30 hard date.

[Snip]

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

Except when you mix in sentences like "built from the ground up", "realistic environments", "unprecedented detail" and so, you know this is just marketing bullcrap. Just to be clear, I believe their confirmation that development is already funded for years, what I'm not doing is deriving anything trustworthy from these statements, other than the June 30 hard date.

Why yes, it's normal in just about any business to market the info for the suits and investors, like when the accountants need to assess your business, they are treated with velvet gloves by any company.

[Snip]

48 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

This says to me that we're going to have lots of DLC to look forward to once the game is 'finished'.

Obviously, they aren’t a charity case after all.  Although they will get flogged online if the DLC is unreasonable or the base game is not very good quality when they start selling it. 

6 hours ago, MarcAbaddon said:

I really doubt that - not the part where the publisher told them they had to release, that is very likely.

What I doubt is that this is that's the reason the game is in the state it is.

The most likely reason the publisher told them to finally release something is also the most likely reason for the game being the way it was: constantly being behind schedule and making much slower progress than expected based on the communication of the studio. Let's not forget that in Summer 2021 the game was (according to Nate) in the final stretch with them only sewing together all the large parts of the game. Based on that I doubt it was have released in better shape if it had been released 3 months later. 

I was answering why the game was released in this state, not why it is in this state.

It's obvious to me why it was released, having worked in a large company for a long time.

It is not obvious to me why it is in the state it is, having worked with computers for an even longer time.

1 hour ago, WelshSteW said:

This says to me that we're going to have lots of DLC to look forward to once the game is 'finished'.

I wonder if there will be a DLC that brings the game to the same look that was in the 2019 trailer?

5 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

I wonder if there will be a DLC that brings the game to the same look that was in the 2019 trailer?

It's a CGI trailer, don't set unrealistic expectations.

And graphical improvements in a DLC is weird.

42 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Won't happen as Spicat noted it's a pre-rendered trailer, but I'm sure that (many) years down the road we will see reshaders, part mods, and other community resources that will help boost the visuals. For now, I really enjoy the graphics/look of the game but hope to run it at a consistent 60+ fps. Let's get there first.

22 minutes ago, Spicat said:

It's a CGI trailer, don't set unrealistic expectations.

It's understandable, of course, that the trailer has little to do with the actual game, and it's done to get fans to buy the game based on that trailer. But I would say that there are not only graphics, there are also huge colonies. Not too long ago, Nate said that the colonies weren't going to be that big.

2 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

What’s wrong with DLC?  I bought both KSP DLC’s - they were great, and cost me practically nothing per minute of entertainment.  Great deals.

38 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Nate said that the colonies weren't going to be that big.

You need to backup your message with a source when you say something like that.

I think they clearly put the right expectation in this trailer on what features we will have when we reach 1.0 (all the parts shown in this trailer are in fact in the game or in the files found through datamining):

HfTBEkf.png

So it's weird that he said that (obviously the size of colonies will be dependent on your hardware)

Edited by Spicat

12 minutes ago, Spicat said:

So it's weird that he said that (obviously the size of colonies will be dependent on your hardware)

Well, it's like with ships with thousands of parts - you just don't have a powerful enough computer

The source is lost somewhere on the forum. When was the last time we saw something with the colonies?