Wings falling off instantly on larger planes

Go to solution Reply by Siska,

Hello everyone, 

please help, i have been writing about this issue around forum and seems that nobody has the answer.

When building larger planes or sstos, to mk2 or mk3 sized cockpit, wings fall off instantly after loading on runway.

I have noticed, that if you attach wings on liquid fuel engine, they are a bit more sturdily atached, but they still fall of. No mather what i do, this keeps repeating.

I do not see reason to put strouts on wings (i did that also, it didn't help).

It is so frustrting. When this happens i just exit the game. 

Note:

On small diameters, they keep attached

Mk2 seems better than MK3, wings keep falling off during takeoff

MK3 diameter, they just fall apart instantly.

Its a problem with the game. It has to do with the weight and size of the parts, loading into physics, and unbalanced part attachment strength, and probably some other issues, as well as the mass of a craft loading onto the runway, wobbly parts, kraken type bugs, etc etc. The best solution might be to make a bunch of smaller wings instead of large wings. These will be less likely to fall off and should still give you the same lift overall. Alternatives are to use a lot of struts to strengthen the attachment of the wings so they dont fall off. Whether you think this should be the case or not is not relevant. Another thing you could try would be to turn on unbreakable joints before loading the craft onto the runway. Then, once the plane is loaded onto the runway, turn it off again and proceed as normal. Your wings will probably still fall off when you try to lift off the ground or the forces become to strong but maybe not. Finally, some parts are better for attaching things to than others. They have stronger attachments. You could play around attaching wings to different parts to see which ones hold them the strongest. 

Something I have found that helps is when in the VAB, place craft on ground (not in the ground). There seems to be a slight drop otherwise when loading in. I have had large vehicles fall apart on load( especially wings) but have found this technique to work.

Setting the wings into the craft can help but like Twich22 said, a few struts can help. 4 struts top evenly and the same underneath then pull the wings in slightly. Also hides the struts that way.

Edited by Madishmike

• Solution
On 5/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, twich22 said:

Its a problem with the game.

I am so happy taht someone else says that:) 

On 5/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, twich22 said:

Another thing you could try would be to turn on unbreakable joint

This works. I think this is the way people are able to play the game. I just don't understand why you have to almost hack the game for it to work. It is not ideal, but until they repair the game (if they will) iw ill use this.

THANK YOU!!!!<3

16 hours ago, Madishmike said:

Something I have found that helps is when in the VAB, place craft on ground (not in the ground). There seems to be a slight drop otherwise when loading in. I have had large vehicles fall apart on load( especially wings) but have found this technique to work.

I tried this. and it still falls on the ground no difference.

16 hours ago, Madishmike said:

Setting the wings into the craft can help but like Twich22 said, a few struts can help. 4 struts top evenly and the same underneath then pull the wings in slightly. Also hides the struts that way.

It is an option however, far from ideal. I haven't seen any craft in real world with wings attached with struts:) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.