Dragging Along

Nate Simpson

5 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

If your problem comes from the game being buggy, 0.1.3 does seem like it will include some important bugfixes, but nothing on the performance side so far.

They confirmed long ago that some planets would have axial tilt (yes, as you say, planets with their axis of rotation inclined off the equator). I do however think they won't dare change any of the original KSP planets to include the feature, much less Kerbin and its moons, which are the basis for learning the game for any new player.

For clarification, we do know at least some optimization is coming, the lens flare changes and maybe the planetshine changes will improve performance, I have no clue how much performance will improve  (I'm guessing about as much as the earlier patches), but we do know it will improve some at least. Also axial tilt is already in game, and most planets in kerbol have it already. 

9 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

They confirmed long ago that some planets would have axial tilt (yes, as you say, planets with their axis of rotation inclined off the equator). I do however think they won't dare change any of the original KSP planets to include the feature, much less Kerbin and its moons, which are the basis for learning the game for any new player.

7 hours ago, Yellowburn10 said:

Not Kerbin, but other planets will have a tilt. 

Thank you very much for the answer o7 

5 hours ago, Starhawk said:

In fact, Moho has 7 degrees axial tilt, Dres has 13.6, and Eeloo has 33 degrees tilt, among others.
Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus have 0 axial tilt.

Happy landings!

Good to know, I guess they do consider those as "advanced" destinations, specially Eeloo. Wonder how much axial tilt exoplanets might have.

3 hours ago, Strawberry said:

For clarification, we do know at least some optimization is coming, the lens flare changes and maybe the planetshine changes will improve performance, I have no clue how much performance will improve  (I'm guessing about as much as the earlier patches), but we do know it will improve some at least. Also axial tilt is already in game, and most planets in kerbol have it already. 

I read those, we might argue it's just my personal opinion but I find it very hard to believe rewriting the lens-flare system, and altering some of light's properties can have a noticeable impact. Hoping they prove me wrong tho.

12 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

I read those, we might argue it's just my personal opinion but I find it very hard to believe rewriting the lens-flare system, and altering some of light's properties can have a noticeable impact. Hoping they prove me wrong tho.

I dont think that alone will be a major impact, however I doubt the graphics engineers have just been twindling there thumbs and those two changes will be all we get. There's probably a good share of boring changes to all parts of the code that has improved performance stick by stick that just hasn't been deemed as attractive to show off. The reason why I expect it to be probably similar to regular patches is that more and more low hanging fruit is being taken, so despite the increased time being taken, to get the same amount of progress more effort needs to be done. That being said, steamdb shows that a candidate branch has been uploaded to steam, while this should be taken as loose evidence, it does point to that if everything goes to plan, we will probably get a date next friday. 

2 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Can someone explain to me the importance of axial tilt as it relates to KSP1 and/or KSP2?  Unless we are going to get inhabitable planets, or get the ability to terraform...what is the signifance?

It makes maneuvers relating to taking off and going interplanetary harder as the rotation of the planet does not match up with the inclination of the other planets orbits

39 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Good to know, I guess they do consider those as "advanced" destinations, specially Eeloo. Wonder how much axial tilt exoplanets might have.

We'll probably get at least one planet with a 90-degree axial tilt like Uranus in our solar system. Launching from a planet like that might be an interesting challenge.

1 hour ago, Strawberry said:

It makes maneuvers relating to taking off and going interplanetary harder as the rotation of the planet does not match up with the inclination of the other planets orbits

How?  Axial tilt has nothing to do with a bodies' orbital inclination, and the tilt has no effect on where the equator is or doing a gravity turn.

EDIT:  After thinking on it, the orbit of the craft would be on a different plane than the orbit of the body.

Edited by Scarecrow71

The vibe im getting from this thread is that people are starting to become more positive about the development of the game.

Regarding the Deep Space Engines, Higher ISP, but either more mass or more annoyance due to fuel type difference, or less thrust than a comparible sized engine.

Issue 2 - Trajectories change when vehicles cross SOI boundaries
..... the introduction of axial tilt to KSP2 introduced some discrepancies....

Can somebody explain what is the axial tilt? What this makes different compared to KSP1?

Issue 8 - Major post-liftoff frame rate lag immediately above launchpad (associated with engine exhaust lighting)
Quick clarification: engines had previously each spawned a point light that cast shadows. While this was very pretty, it wasn’t great for performance (and this impact was increasingly pronounced at high engine counts). We have turned off shadow casting for those lights and are seeing an improvement in framerate near the launchpad.

I don't know if there were a value in shadow or it was a miss configuration right from the beginning, but disabling features to have performance increase is not a good approach IMO.

Can we have one light for engines if there are multiple there? I mean with some clustering logic you can spawn 1-x light sources based on the engine placements to cast shadows. X could vary based on graphics setting. 

5 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Filters and lighting can be major bottlenecks. Sometimes (especially early in development) tech artists are so focused on getting the look right that they don’t pay enough attention to performance. We recently had a tech artist implement an FX filter that more than halved the frame rate. Fortunately we caught it early because we’re continuously profiling; we target the Switch as the lowest tier hardware, and the frame rate dropped from 60 to 20 on that. We wouldn’t have noticed otherwise because it was still hitting 120 FPS on our beefy development rigs!

So there might be a lot of possibilities for high-impact optimizations there!

7 hours ago, DancZer said:

I don't know if there were a value in shadow or it was a miss configuration right from the beginning, but disabling features to have performance increase is not a good approach IMO.

Can we have one light for engines if there are multiple there? I mean with some clustering logic you can spawn 1-x light sources based on the engine placements to cast shadows. X could vary based on graphics setting. 

While I agree that disabling features is not the way to go. The light will still be there, it's just the shadow cast by it that will be removed. I think this will have little to no impact on graphics quality.

As said by a CM:

EV85lZ9.png

Edited by Spicat

15 hours ago, Starhawk said:

In fact, Moho has 7 degrees axial tilt, Dres has 13.6, and Eeloo has 33 degrees tilt, among others.
Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus have 0 axial tilt.

Didn't they say at some point or another that the Kerbol system would be mostly untouched, especially with regards to axial tilt?

That being said, I don't blame them for adding some. By the time you get to any one of these three destinations I'm sure you're ready to be introduced to axial tilt!

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Didn't they say at some point or another that the Kerbol system would be mostly untouched, especially with regards to axial tilt?

That being said, I don't blame them for adding some. By the time you get to any one of these three destinations I'm sure you're ready to be introduced to axial tilt!

The kerbin system, i.e. kerbin, the mun, and minimus

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Pretty much that. You have to know about inclination changes in interplanetary travels to even get to them because of their wild orbits, so axial tilt is just icing on the cake.

9 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

How?  Axial tilt has nothing to do with a bodies' orbital inclination, and the tilt has no effect on where the equator is or doing a gravity turn.

EDIT:  After thinking on it, the orbit of the craft would be on a different plane than the orbit of the body.

It's all about interaction with the surface.  If you don't want to land on or take off from a planet/moon or map its surface, then axial tilt can safely be ignored.

42 minutes ago, Delay said:

I don't have an exact quote handy, but I believe they said the Kerbol system would remain mostly the same and I don't recall any specific mention of axial tilt.

In any case, it's not really a large change.  Take a trip from Kerbin to Minmus as an example.  Imagine that Minmus' orbit has zero inclination while Kerbin has a 7 degree axial tilt.  It's the exact same problem as the real case in the game where Kerbin has no axial tilt, but Minmus has 7 degrees inclination.

Happy landings!

3 hours ago, Delay said:

Orbital inclination.  I don't think they promised no changes to the other planets' Axial tilt, but the various CB's inclination is substantially similar to the original. 

On 6/2/2023 at 2:59 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Engines
After posting footage of the three new deep space methalox engines that will be arriving in update v.0.1.3.0, we’ve been asked by a few people what those engines can really do. Our Lead Producer Nestor Gomez (of KSP1 fame) suggested that we share some stats in the time-honored old-school way - with cool blueprint-style graphics!
Without further ado, here are the three new engines (with special thanks to Matt Poppe, who continues to do amazing work on everything he touches):

image.png

image.png

image.png

good info nate and yes keep doing the blueprints looks good

13 hours ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

The vibe im getting from this thread is that people are starting to become more positive about the development of the game.

Regarding the Deep Space Engines, Higher ISP, but either more mass or more annoyance due to fuel type difference, or less thrust than a comparible sized engine.

There's just nothing to discuss, really.  Minimal updates on a few bugs.  People have generally moved on to other things.  Don't mistake apathy for positivity though. 

And there is a certain aspect of the forums which can't be discussed on the forums, and which probably played not an insignificant role in discussion drought. So now devs and folks wearing rose-tinted glasses are stewing in their own juices. Which is bad for the product but who cares at this point.

56 minutes ago, J.Random said:

And there is a certain aspect of the forums which can't be discussed on the forums, and which probably played not an insignificant role in discussion drought. So now devs and folks wearing rose-tinted glasses are stewing in their own juices. Which is bad for the product but who cares at this point.

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about.  Re-entry heating may be too difficult to get right in a few months, but echo chamber technology was well within grasp.

1 hour ago, RocketRockington said:

There's just nothing to discuss, really.  Minimal updates on a few bugs.  People have generally moved on to other things.  Don't mistake apathy for positivity though. 

Comments were a lot more negative just two weeks ago, showing that it's a bit more positive around here (Mostly due to the increase in transparency).

Not saying everything is fine though.

3 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

It's really not necessary for you to speak for the rest of us so often. We can do that on our own, or choose not to. There are a couple of good discussions going on in here (axial tilt, drag occlusion, etc).

Also, pointing out that there's nothing to discuss on page three of the thread is, well, kinda humorous.

2 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about.

No you don't. It's forbidden to discuss, remember? You're imagining things. Even I don't know what I'm talking about. :wink: