A Social Network-Type Site for People Interested in Space and Spaceflight Simulators.

Yeomans

Would you frequent this Social Network?  

1. 1. Would you frequent this Social Network?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Unsure...

I want to apologize in advance to mods if this isn't the right area for this, but it is related to KSP, and other Spaceflight Sims.

I wanted to pose this question to people on this forum, because it seems to me to be a project worth pursuing if there's an interest in it.

In my opinion, people who are interested in Space and Spaceflight are a seperate demographic. They have other interests, but "space fanatics" seem to form their own separate group, unlike anime fans, sci-fi fans (although sci-fi and space fans do have many ties), and fans of reading, writing, and things of the like.

Frankly, I find myself getting along alot with people who share this interest in space, and although I also could be categorized in other groups, I feel as though I'm the only person in these other groups that's actually interested in space.

I soon began to wonder how a social network for people of this demographic would work, and so now I wanted to ask everyone in the community their thoughts on this idea. Would you support a social network built around people who have an interest in space and spaceflight? Would you frequent it? And if so, do you have any recommendations or comments regarding the community?

If the response is positive, I plan on actually creating a small social network for this purpose, and have things go from there.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts,

Dan

I thought I should expand more on the concept...

The user will be able to join and create groups where they can interact in discussion and participate in group projects. An example of this would be a group dedicated to Kerbal Space Program, and the members of this group could collaborate on something (such as a video or a mod).

There will be chat rooms for members of the network, a general chat, for example, and then more specific chat rooms, say for discussion of nasa missions, or of discussion of KSP or other sims.

Possibly a wiki, in this wiki people can create guides or pages relating to spaceflight, orbital mechanics, or even how to use a KSP mod.

This isn't intended to be a replacement for the forums, however, it will have more of an emphasis on social interaction than the forum as of now.

I would definitely be interested in this, seeing how much of a space geek/nerd/whatever I am at the moment.

A great idea if you could possibly make it.

I'm glad you're interested, seems theres a few others who are interested as well, I'm gauging the response on this site, and then I'm going to post a topic on the orbiter forums. If the response here is good, I already know of a free framework I can use to actually public test it.

This is a neat idea, and there isn't a lot of sites like that on the Internet. I'm definitly interested in this.

Yeah, that's part of why I was so intrigued in this idea, because I go on a lot of online communities that most people would consider "nerdy", but there aren't social network-type sites that I know of where people have interests like this.

Thanks! :D

Hmm what would be a good name though? I will make a suggestion of Comlink.com or something like that but that's just me :P

Well my current Idea for the name of the site was Outpost One, just because it's kind of spacey, but it's very ambiguous and could really be any space themed site.

Well my current Idea for the name of the site was Outpost One, just because it's kind of spacey, but it's very ambiguous and could really be any space themed site.

I like the name Outpost One, it sounds like a great name to use for this sort of thing which I'm looking forward to if it goes ahead and I can let out my inner nerd/geekiness.

I like the name Outpost One, it sounds like a great name to use for this sort of thing which I'm looking forward to if it goes ahead and I can let out my inner nerd/geekiness.

I'm glad you like it. Would you guys be okay if I posted up the concept? I'm still working on it a bit and I'll make the theme look nicer within the next few hours.

Right now I'm using this service's free plan and stuff, just to try it out, if it catches on I'll either sink some cash into upgrading, or I'll put up an actual website http://outpost-one.spruz.com/

I'm glad you like it. Would you guys be okay if I posted up the concept? I'm still working on it a bit and I'll make the theme look nicer within the next few hours.

Right now I'm using this service's free plan and stuff, just to try it out, if it catches on I'll either sink some cash into upgrading, or I'll put up an actual website http://outpost-one.spruz.com/

I like the layout but the design could use a bit more work on in my opinion and a question, is this available to use now or are you waiting for something else to happen before you open it up.

I like the layout but the design could use a bit more work on in my opinion and a question, is this available to use now or are you waiting for something else to happen before you open it up.

Feel free to sign up if you want, it's more appealing when there's actually people other than the admin on there haha, and yeah I'm slowly making the design more appeasing.

Hi guys, fansites are great but I think this thread should be in Off-Topic rather than here as it's not strictly about KSP, being a more of a general thread about spaceflight and space.

I'll move it if you don't mind :)

Okay, no problem.

Yes, it does. It must be something wrong on your end.
Yes, a custom banner with a blue coloured background :)

That's good, and actually it fixed itself for me. I guess I should start adding some actual content instead of messing around with the theme.

Feel free to let other people know and stuff! :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.