Do you own a mac, windows or linux PC?

The Destroyer

What do you use?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you use?

Mod remark: If this is going to become another mac/win holywar thread, you better close it now, or make sure to keep the discussion civilized.

On topic, I run both, each has its upsides and downsides for different applications.

I prefer mac as my main computer. I use it for most things because I prefer iWorks to Office.

However, we do have a desktop Windows XP which I run a few games on (Silent Hunter, Dawn of War, Supreme Commander, Mount and Blade, etc). At the same time I use my mac to surf the web.

We also have a Linux for 'tinkering'.

I would disagree with the statement: 'A lot of stuff doesn't work on Mac.' (For example spell-checker works great in Safari. :D ) If you said: 'Many things aren't made for Mac.' Then I'd agree, though I have noticed a lot of games getting cross-platform support now that steam is on Mac. Perhaps the old problem was that it was harder/more expensive to target Mac users and now steam means that they don't have to spend as much to get it to us.

Hope this all remains civil. :D

I find Apple tends to go for appearance over practicality. For example the iMac has a high quality screen but it has poor adjustability and a finish that means it's very sensitive to light direction.

So while I don't rate their hardware, Mac OS isn't bad. It fixes some problems Windows has but suffers from others than Windows doesn't. I used it for the first time a few years ago and my biggest surprise was how similar it was.

On the software front I'd be happy to use either, I'd probably tend toward Windows because of the wider support but a couple of years of Mac OS now and again would be a nice change. Although as I'm not likely to buy an Apple PC in the near future (for the reasons given above) the speculation is academic.

I do actually have a Linux install on my netbook that I use regularly but that OS is such a relic from the Windows 95 design-era that I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't free.

I dual boot OSX/Win7 on an iMac (Win7 for games, OSX for everything else), with many Linux distros bouncing around in virtual machines on the OSX side using Parallels. Actually every computer I have has some Linux distro or another on it, either in a VM or dual-boot.

My only major gripe with Windows is and always has been the command line. It's just...well it's atrocious compared to bash, and/or <pick your Linux shell>. I can't use it. O.o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.