[WIP] Wayland Corp. - U.S.S Sulaco

Devo

image.php?id=968E_507756C3&jpg

Hi fellow Kerbals,

I have been an avid player of KSP since about April, so about v0.10 (I think..) and the leaps and bounds they continue to make amazes me. Like most people I've dabbled with making mods (me with little success) mainly due to a flat idea, but thanks to the inspiration from Jcogs Nostromo, I decided to make my first proper mod a similar theme, the U.S.S Sulaco.

Now, I couldn't really call it Weyland Corp, for copyright purposes, but you get the idea. I'm also pretty sure the Weyland Corp. did not make the Sulaco, as it was a Government commissioned vessel, but those are the fuzzy details we'll ignore for now :) This is pretty ambitious for me, I know it's going have alot of hurdles but I'm eager to learn and keep up to date with the new additions. If there is anyone out there that is also a fan of the Alien movies and vessels and wants to come aboard, by all means let me know. I'm ok with the graphics side, what's really getting me is all the attachment node coordinates and so forth, but I shall persevere.

This model was originally created by D Proctor, I managed to get it some 10 years ago! it's been sitting on my hard drive waiting for a purpose, until now. The biggest challenge so far has been dumbing down the vectors. I have broken it into manageable parts, and now it's just getting it into KSP, which is going sort of ok.. :)

Sorry for not using spoiler tags, I tried but they don't seem to work..

Cargo Section is still way too detailed, it needs to be sersiously cut down (without comprimising the detail too much)

image.php?id=66EE_50752C8B&jpg

The drop ship will be the second project I try and tackle after this. The master plan that most likely will take me forever, is to have the drop ship as the actual kerbal pod, and it drops from the

Sulaco and leaves it in orbit, but has a docking clamp that allows you to re-attach and fly the sulaco elsewhere. Ambitious, yep.. I am fully aware of that and expect alot of failure along the way!

The texture I am trying to keep simple, it's a stock 512x512 69k texture that I'm laying on pretty much all the pieces that are visible in flight. The picture above, the red parts indicate the textured sections, the other sections are still under construction. The main fuel tank is also the only part that currently has been imported - I am making sure each part works perfectly before putting it all together. I have checked out the Nostromo in depth and thanks once again to jcogs, I have learnt a hell of alot about simply putting such a large ship into the game. I will be using alot of other mods to get it all to work, but will thank all those people when I actually get it working.

image.php?id=BD4C_50753011&jpg

Anyway, thanks for reading, I will be updating this thread regularly! And once again, if anyone is keen to come aboard you are more than welcome, I am barely scratching the surface making mods. The tutorials are sort of ok, alot of them seem to be outdated now so I am eagerly awaiting a nice tutorial on nodes!!

**UPDATE APRIL 2013.

We are definately close now. Dropship prototype is about to go to the test pilots to break in as many ways as they can, it will be the most complex craft I've done yet.

Edited by Devo

I hesitate to ask, Devogen. I absolutely adore the first picture, only .... can you please remove your avatar from it?! It simply devastates the picture i.m.h.o.. Keep your name in it, but loose the avatar.

Couldn't agree more, it bothered me 10 seconds after I posted it, figured i'd get around to updating it eventually :) it is now a little more aesthetically pleasing.

Currently having some issues with the getvector script in 3dsmax. I copy pasted the co-ordinates from my dummy object to my config file, but they do not seem to translate in the game.. I am using max 2013, so I understand somethings may take some tweaking, but it's getting there. I didnt have this issue in max2012, ahh the fun of upgrading...

Thank god its friday!!

Heck of a good model, and the texture is awesome.

Just one thing. 'Weyland-Yutani Corp'. It's only 'Weyland' in AVP and Prometheus.

Yep, but as I said in my first post neither corporation actually made the Sulaco (hence the U.S.S) so I guess we'll create our own industry along the way :)

I also don't really follow the AVP story, it was a bit of a marketing ploy IMO

Currently having some issues with the getvector script in 3dsmax. I copy pasted the co-ordinates from my dummy object to my config file, but they do not seem to translate in the game.. I am using max 2013, so I understand somethings may take some tweaking, but it's getting there. I didnt have this issue in max2012, ahh the fun of upgrading...

You can check out my posts about that - it could help a little :):

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/21900-Get-Vector-script-gives-me-bad-co-ordinates

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/20143-Help-on-making-first-part-%281-node_collider-problem-2-how-to-make-it-snap-to-obj-%29

• 6 months later...
Is the thread dead after the disaster?

Most definitely not, to be honest I thought the kraken ate it along with all my other threads, so I started a single thread to put all my stuff in, but seeing as this project consists of so much stuff, I will probably keep the thread alive as it will need it's own support section, I have made so many parts there is bound to be a hiccup here or there, but it really is massive.The plan was Sulaco / Dropship then APC but its looking like it will be Dropship/Sulaco/APC.

Building ships that are 200-300metres in length become very unstable in orbit, especially if being built with several pieces. 1 Giant sulaco would be fine sure, but suck to play with. It['s currently being split and tested, split and tested, split and tested. I mad an error starting this project and that was to create the pieces individually and piece it together, it's just to big for that so I took my original mesh and cut it back down and its going up in orbit, being tested then cut and retested. I will have as many parts as I can without it falling apart in space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.