Getting to Eve (?)

spikeyhat09

I can get to the planets in the Kerbol system that are further out from kerbin (Duna and Jool), however, I seem unable to reach Eve (let alone moho). even when i follow the interactive guide thingy (http://ksp.olex.biz/) and use mods to determine the angles, my apoapsis (after i do my ejection burn) keeps going up to Duna rather than my periapsis going down to eves orbit. And I still don't know whats the most efficient time to perform an inclination change (when in parking orbit around kerbin, or in orbit around Kerbol?). also, do you go into a 90 degree orbit or 270? (both screw my up...)

Can anyone help?

(PS: I have a rocket with plenty enough fuel, my only problem is a faulty guide)

my apoapsis (after i do my ejection burn) keeps going up to Duna rather than my periapsis going down to eves orbit

Sounds like you're burning prograde after escaping Kerbin instead of retrograde.

I've made it to Eve using info from the guide. 'Course, my approach is a touch different because I'm both an idiot and uncoordinated. I escape Kerbin then get my ship and the planet lined up (more or less; I'm just eyeballing things) the way the guide says the two planets should be lined up.

my tip would be to get an orbit like EVE, but in the opposite direction so you go towards it

This is not the best way by far. For Eve, it would take a few tens of thousands of delta v for this. You have to escape Kerbin (4-5k delta v, because of the large amount of drag on your ship), then drop horizontal momentum to 0 (10k from Kerbin orbit), do slightly less to get to Eve (7-8k), align orbital planes (500 m/s) and finally lower your apoapsis (1k). This totals about a total change in velocity of about 25000 m/s, which takes the most efficient engines you have, a burn that takes longer than half an hour, and a massive rocket that has dozens of large fuel tanks. Good luck getting to Eve this way :D.

Edited by TheDarkStar

Indeed. you need to head 270 and NOT 90. I guess your new, but your doing ok.

No, you do not.

dHRDt.png

Launching 270 from Kerbin is always the wrong answer.

And somebody being "new" doesn't mean they don't have a grasp of basic physics.

Edited by RoboRay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.