[0.21] Hooligan Labs - Airship, Submarines and More

Hooligan Labs

Development by Hooligan Labs of KSP Mods has been discontinued. See the end of this post for more details.

----

Begun the transfer to the wiki! Click here to read and contribute!

New Submarine FAQ!

What are Airships to Other Planets?

How? Like this!

Want to see the new, largest deployable envelope yet?

See my rant about everything that went into it here!

With the latest update, each individual envelop can have its buoyancy set independently, allowing for better blimp controls! You can access this by right-clicking the airship or binding action keys.

Download the Airship mod here!

r80agbA.png

Now with revamped airships to work with the latest KAS mod. And anchors are back!

JpKHNtb.jpg

More airship re-entries.

Colonizing Jool!

View the whole video channel here for more instructions and adventure!

So returns user action shots!

RoboRay's Airship / Rover to Laythe

qilk8gj.jpg

Richy teh space man's Eve SSTO!

screenshot73-2_zps766c69f1.png

The Second Duna Expedition... and bungee jumping station, which is the proper way to exit an airship! Check out the image album, it has much better shots of this electric/rocket self-refueling exploration craft.

m7c8yg.jpg

Other mods!

Submarines! Stable enough to to be considered released.

Ik7jdzM.jpg

A variety of launch platforms.

iFFeJg7.jpg

Compatible with the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod, for launching new ships from anywhere!

Party Starter! Instantly fill your ship with kerbonauts before launch! I highly recommend this for colonizing efforts.

Updated for easy installation in 0.20, just drag the folder in. For some reason it's darker than before. :huh:

IP3SmwG.jpg

SQUID Paramagnetic System! Applies a force between objects in contact. Many uses, including easier landing on low gravity worlds. Now supports action key bindings, as requested.

Works great in 0.20!

CbKXz5F.jpg

----

While Hooligan Labs will no longer be working on KSP mods, we strongly encourage you to copy and expand upon the models and code. All Hooligan Labs KSP mods are shared according to the MIT License. You can do anything with the mod and its source code except hold Hooligan Labs liable. The Hooligan Labs logo is copyright 2013, but may continue to be used in KSP because KSP is awesome.

Edited by Hooligan Labs
Discontinued

Thanks for the feedback! I am working on balloons, though they would be filled with helium. One of my targets for plugin development is automatic altitude control. So, what is kethane?

Also, sounds like I should move this thread when I can.

Moved: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/23797-Pre-Alpha-Video-Airship-to-Orbit-Mod-Development?p=296062#post296062

Edited by Hooligan Labs

you my good sir need a cookie the size of texas! i love this mod one complant THE BIGGEST BALLOON EVEN WITH LANCHPAD/ RUNWAY OBLITER IS TOO BIG jeb is hateing me for saying that. here are my pics of playing with this for the past ten minites.

cheers!

you my good sir need a cookie the size of texas! i love this mod one complant THE BIGGEST BALLOON EVEN WITH LANCHPAD/ RUNWAY OBLITER IS TOO BIG jeb is hateing me for saying that. here are my pics of playing with this for the past ten minites.

cheers!

Grats on being the first tester to post your results!

That's why I made the smaller balloons! The larger ones put so much torque on that it's really hard to keep them on. Attaching struts to the bottom of each helps a lot.

This is a nifty and elegant way to get something in to space. This actually goes along with an idea I had involving lighter than air craft and rockets. Thanks for creating this.

Thanks!

Grats on being the first tester to post your results!

That's why I made the smaller balloons! The larger ones put so much torque on that it's really hard to keep them on. Attaching struts to the bottom of each helps a lot.

Thanks!

What I mean is that I can't use it it too big to fit in the vab I'll have to try the sph

This reminds me of the blimp plugin by VictorLudorum. I have used this plugin to mod parts into being blimp parts, but when floating you tend to oscillate around the altitude of a given gas level, and never really reach that level. This makes it really hard to use the plugin to have floating platforms that people can EVA out onto and expect to maintain any control when not holding a ladder.

If you were able to make deployable gas-filled balloons it would be totally awesome, though it may be hard to come down once the balloons are deployed if you don't have a landing engine or some way to release gas as this plugin does.

Just my thoughts on this type of plugin. I think that there is alot of potential, but there are some big issues:

1. Cannot maintain blimping when at warp or when switched to distant vessel - thus it is impossible to have huge multi-ship floating colonies as everything will crash into the surface.

2. Oscillation about an altitude as mentioned above. Perhaps this is intrinsic to the unity engine but it would be nice if the gas balloons could be stable enough to allow floating platforms to be walked on.

I hope this helps!

Am I the only one here that immediately thought of making this?

orbital_airship_depart.jpg

...Pretty much, it's a three-stage to orbit system, in which a small-ish "Ascender" flies up to around 30 kilometers altitude, docks with a large lighter-than-air platform, and than transfers cargo and passengers to another frickin' huge airship. In turn, this larger craft uses an ion propulsion system to gain orbit. In total, the climb to orbit would take about 10 days, not counting the transfer and ascent to the docking platform. Designed by a private, california based aerospace company, JP Aerospace, they hope to see a working airship to orbit within 20 years. That is, provided they can scrounge up the money and convince everyone else to stop laughing.

This reminds me of the blimp plugin by VictorLudorum.

Yes, this is based on his code.

If you were able to make deployable gas-filled balloons it would be totally awesome, though it may be hard to come down once the balloons are deployed if you don't have a landing engine or some way to release gas as this plugin does.

Well into the future, probably will follow animated envelopes.

1. Cannot maintain blimping when at warp or when switched to distant vessel - thus it is impossible to have huge multi-ship floating colonies as everything will crash into the surface.

Crap, anyone know why this happens? Are you hitting [ or ] to switch, or using a mod?

2. Oscillation about an altitude as mentioned above. Perhaps this is intrinsic to the unity engine but it would be nice if the gas balloons could be stable enough to allow floating platforms to be walked on.

Altitude control coming soon.

I hope this helps!

Every bit of info helps! If you find a problem, it's the best if you can find a solution too and post that.

Am I the only one here that immediately thought of making this?

orbital_airship_depart.jpg

What do you think inspired me? :)

Around 210 kilobyte but in 3 zips really?

Also, you do have to always publish the source code, even if it is the most incomplete alpha release. Same for giving a license BTW.

I'll fix that soon. New to this.

Well, It might be like the mechjeb SAS thingy, where it wasent a plugin, but it was BUILT off a plugin, same like this.

It seems all mods should be in, well, less forums... it's hard to tell what goes where.

By the way, added a new video to the front page!