[0.21] Hooligan Labs - Airship, Submarines and More

Hooligan Labs

tumblr_mmeeghX7TZ1rh6bqdo1_500.jpg

Just thought I would share my jool platform. Really is a bummer what with my guys not being able to walk round. :(

Why can't they walk around? Is Make Stationary not working? (you would need to have something touching the 'ground')

Maiden test flight of my newest long-endurance exploration airship, the Honu.

P8zGO8u.jpg

NOyZI46.jpg

FQuW3G9.jpg

l6kN0dq.jpg

e9f7glk.jpg

3OYevQh.jpg

HhDUQbo.jpg

7qVa8Ur.jpg

maBlgM5.jpg

Ex4K8Fm.jpg

uzxDiyO.jpg

duYZmIw.jpg

JOGnOim.jpg

uWFpZQq.jpg

MuoA7HH.jpg

OSLi1Cy.jpg

o2pJHfw.jpg

22V5hzL.jpg

lGejriI.jpg

yXorKq7.jpg

var49Xh.jpg

SOGKRnl.jpg

depGre8.jpg

That's not a bad parking job, if I do say so myself. :)

The Honu is set up for individual forward/aft and stop control of each prop, so precise maneuvering in tight spaces is possible.

Why can't they walk around? Is Make Stationary not working? (you would need to have something touching the 'ground')

Yeah, I think Im just moving laterally. I doubt there is any vertical movement.

As for touching the ground, Im not, no. Im a little cautious of the ground on jool so this platform is quite high. I dont want to have a suprise visit from the kraken. :rolleyes:

Kerbonauts do not do well on the surface of Jool... But I have been able to put anchors on the surface without much of an issue.

There is also a "sea sickness" mod out there that my help with your specific problem.

Should work but was not reliable for me with my Jool decent missions so I put down ladders everywhere.

B05Vd1K.jpg

http://imgur.com/qLGX4FW

http://imgur.com/5T9heU6

http://imgur.com/NG7ZFzM

It was an manned mission with the purpose of sampling jool surface.

Jool exit make Eve exit look simple. You has to reach an orbital speed of 5800 at 200km, below you are still in the atmosphere.

Only benefit is that the gravity is low so you can use nuclear.

Very nicely done! I've rarely seen the old rigid design look so good. You really fit the solar panels and weighted parts on there nicely. Quite compact too. What is on the back?

Thanks. :)

The "viewing dome" on back is the cupola command pod from KSPX. The 2.5m to 3.75m adapter cone is from NovaPunch, then there's a 3.75m plate from NovaPunch that's normally used to mount multiple 1.25m parts onto a 3.75m part, but I needed it because the 3.75 BobCat HOME landing legs ahead of it didn't allow surface attachment of some of the internal parts (the cone is stuffed full of batteries).

The same structure is repeated up front, except with a HOME command pod on the nose and a Modular Multiwheels truck cab on top of that.

There's no way to get up into the truck cab without Crew Manifest for internal transfers, but the other crew compartments are accessible by fixed ladders from the ground, when landed.

The electric props are from Firespitter, of course, but the solar panels are my own adaption of the stock fixed panels. I doubled the size so they cover four times the area and produce four times as much power. It really reduces the part count for atmospheric craft that need electrical power.

In daylight, I can run all four props at full power indefinitely, cruising at about 76m/sec. At night, the batteries only last a couple of minutes at full power, but it's enough to find a good landing spot after sunset, if desired, and set down for the night. Service ceiling on Kerbin is about 4000m.

The vessel's name came to me instantly, as soon as I saw it take to the air. "That thing looks like a sea turtle," I said to myself. I normally use Greek names, but I'm starting to run out. Maybe I'll switch over to Polynesian names for a while. :)

Edited by RoboRay

It was an manned mission with the purpose of sampling jool surface.

Ah I see, I highly recommend sending robots first (poor kerbonauts face so much risk on any mission!)

Amazing job exiting Jool after getting that far in, regardless - that may be a first in KSP history?

There's no way to get up into the truck cab without Crew Manifest for internal transfers, but the other crew compartments are accessible by fixed ladders from the ground, when landed.

I'm surprised that it's not possible to transfer crew members through the envelopes - fuel transfer is allowed. Is there a thing in the CFG file to turn that on?

I have to say, the new KAS makes lifting kerbs a cinch - and you can switch back to them to have them grab ladders or swing around! It may make getting into the front easier... Or not, but it would be an adventure!

What I mean is that I didn't put a ladder up the outside to the cab, so Crew Manifest is needed to get Kerbals up to it

Ah, I see! Good to have you back RoboRay.

Probably going to add a few more airships later.

Good, because I just put a contest on the front page. You all should try it! :D

Ah I see, I highly recommend sending robots first (poor kerbonauts face so much risk on any mission!)

Amazing job exiting Jool after getting that far in, regardless - that may be a first in KSP history?

Thanks, and yes I have sent multiple probes, and perhaps 10 tries with unmanned exit burns.

I had an deck with an probe and pod to lower down below 0 attitude. Later I found it was not dangerous to go below 0 meter except camera issues.

Think I needed over 10.000m/s, ejected everything not needed to get out, used balloons to over 40 km and activated engine. One benefit over Eve is that gravity is only 0.7. Main problem is that atmosphere goes to almost 200km, and you need an orbital speed of 5800m/s at 200 km. As Jool is so huge the gravity turn is long and you spend long time in the upper atmosphere. I should probably have put me in a 300km orbit or even higher to reduce time in it.

If I do it again i will use more nuclear engines, Probably the kspx 150 Kn nuclear engine, as center stage, then some asparagus with LV-30 for more trust.

Current design was based on my Eve exit rocket with an larger upper stage.

I even tried to send an probe down and tried to drill for kertane on Jool. it did not work.

I'm surprised that it's not possible to transfer crew members through the envelopes - fuel transfer is allowed. Is there a thing in the CFG file to turn that on?

I have to say, the new KAS makes lifting kerbs a cinch - and you can switch back to them to have them grab ladders or swing around! It may make getting into the front easier... Or not, but it would be an adventure!

I did the ladder tricks to get in and out of the decent capsule on my Jool lander it worked well.

Haha i know :( Its the old gravity mod , i tried with the dodec and after i added in an iva and making it a commandpod you are safe to spawn on the asteroid ;) Pics of that are coming later i think

This is not a ready to fly mission craft haha but some fun trials with dodacs

nwh74uv.jpg

ZMs6MGM.png

yauiWIP.png

If you feelt like doing an small request, could you add an kerbalsized door to the dodac ?:) Then we could connect them and build ina a more modularway , just a thought :) cheers!

Edited by ahappydude

And now, for something completely different...

33Lje0c.jpg

A rover.

Wait? A rover? Why is there a rover in the airship mod thread?

N6DJst8.jpg

Well... there's part of an airship. It seems to be missing some stuff, though.

6m9F9Ko.jpg

Let's just back this rover on in there...

mPUgOt3.jpg

5npst4m.jpg

Now we're talking!

swwkE4i.jpg

CeVGiws.jpg

K5sljcz.jpg

FstVoKT.jpg

rZc221V.jpg

qFfwP3F.jpg

The air-transport module also serves as living quarters and a base of operations for the rover exploration crew.

If you feelt like doing an small request, could you add an kerbalsized door to the dodac ?:) Then we could connect them and build ina a more modularway , just a thought :) cheers!

I love that last picture! I hate to say it, but I probably don't have time to add the door... you want to give it a try? My Unity files and such should be up in the shared space.

The air-transport module also serves as living quarters and a base of operations for the rover exploration crew.

That looks like something that could really exist. Minus the inflatable airship, it does! http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/05/05/181407952/solar-powered-airplane-completes-first-leg-of-u-s-flight

That looks like something that could really exist. Minus the inflatable airship, it does! http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/05/05/181407952/solar-powered-airplane-completes-first-leg-of-u-s-flight

Heh, thanks. I try for more realistic designs. Sometimes. :)

I got it to Laythe!

qilk8gj.jpg

AChTjwq.jpg

DsWl9JV.jpg

Full mission album: http://imgur.com/a/k9ng3#0

(Ignore the crazy launch vehicle... this thing is wicked-hard to get into orbit with all that drag up front.)

Edited by RoboRay

I love that last picture! I hate to say it, but I probably don't have time to add the door... you want to give it a try? My Unity files and such should be up in the shared space.

No worries :) There are many occasions where i wish i could pause time, or go back.. Yeah sure! I could add two decks a door and two chairs and make it a command dome, dodac dome hehe ofc i will give you credit =) I also started on a asterioid, i was thinking of having that as a part, and then you can place those dodac domes and on the asteroid and have a s big colany as you want ;) cheers for the reply

Roboray that looked like a fun trip:) Any video?

Beautiful! First new action shot to be put on the front page.

Good job getting that off the planet with one launch. And getting it back down!

Thanks! I briefly considered trying to do "fold & stow" wings with Damned Robotics and tucking the whole thing inside a massive payload fairing, but then said "Screw this, I'm going!"

Getting it back down is generally easy. :) I made it harder on myself by not subjecting the craft to any visible reentry heating.

Roboray that looked like a fun trip:) Any video?

Nah, I don't record video. I just spam the screenshot key whenever I see anything interesting. :)