[0.21] Hooligan Labs - Airship, Submarines and More

Hooligan Labs

0vWkxPy.png?1

It needs some detail but I kinda like the orange color scheme.

Nice update. I really appreciate the Kerbal behavior. Though EVAing at depth isn't overtly realistic. . . . ahh whatever. I need name suggestions. Right now I am leaning towards the fairly cliche "NAUTILUS" or "CHALLENGER" (Inspired by Sir Richard Branson's recent tweet) but I want something slightly more inspiring.

What resolution do you play KSP on Hooligan?

Finally getting around to playing with the sub beta and cant get gui open to save my life. Just downloaded the newest version, so its either just not opening up, or its opening off my screen. I play at 1600x900 fullscreen. Any ideas?

@Blazing:

You could name it after that god awful early 90s show 'SeaQuest' lol...friggin startrek in sub

im totally kiddin btw...your sub is looking great!!

You could read where he removed the ballast parts being active at the start. You have to activate them by hitting the stage key.

I did read that part and I did stage them....still no GUI...but thanks for your help anyway 'scientist'.

You guys might want to check the latest Firespitter update. According to his post, he might have made the Water Launch work better! http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24551-Firespitter-propeller-plane-and-helicopter-parts-v5-4-%28August-1st%29-for-KSP-0-21?p=595057&viewfull=1#post595057

Though to be honest, I have been dropping all of my test subs in at 100 m/s, because, you know, it's fun! :D

YhVB7Hd.jpg

- Cool factor is still a 9.5...thank you makers of Firespitter, carrier parts, and Hooligan for making this happen. Cheers guys.

You brought the monster to life! Great job! I'm so busy modding I actually do not . :P One idea, if you were to use normal props you can reverse the direction of their thrust to slow down. Any chance you could make a movie of this and/or share the craft file?

Ok i don't even CARE that it doesn't totally work I WANT that in the Gallery!!!! Permission to add please!

Jewel, just add the stuff without bothering people. :)

"Gossamer Mini" Eve airship probe using Dodecs, Firespitter electric propellers, and KAS anchor. Feel free to use for whatever :)

I'm loving the use of the Dodec lately! It has been under-appreciated.

It needs some detail but I kinda like the orange color scheme.

What, don't we all live in a ... yellow submarine? :)

What resolution do you play KSP on Hooligan?

Finally getting around to playing with the sub beta and cant get gui open to save my life. Just downloaded the newest version, so its either just not opening up, or its opening off my screen. I play at 1600x900 fullscreen. Any ideas?

1920x1080. Odd, it should be based on screen size...

protected void initGUI()
{
windowWidth = 300;

if ((windowPos.x == 0) && (windowPos.y == 0))
{
windowPos = new Rect(Screen.width - windowWidth, Screen.height * 0.35f, 10, 10);
}
}

I did a quick upload of a new version with the screen height higher (0.35 instead of 0.75). Other than that, you are going to have to send me a screen shot or the output log.

And I liked SeaQuest! It had robotic "whiskers" and the kid made a dolphin sub!

Ohmygod I just found this. PLEASE tell me you're planning on making probe versions for Laythe o.o

Of the airship? The Envelope, Una and Dodec are pretty good for that. :)

How does "splashing down hard" work with the new buoyancy code, Hooligan? Earlier you showed it how it didn't explode stuff you were dropping into the ocean, but can we drop things into the ocean at any speed now, or will they still explode (as they should) if they impact hard enough?

How does "splashing down hard" work with the new buoyancy code, Hooligan? Earlier you showed it how it didn't explode stuff you were dropping into the ocean, but can we drop things into the ocean at any speed now, or will they still explode (as they should) if they impact hard enough?

Good thing to investigate. Right now, it is based on Snjo's FSbuoyancy code. Anything moving more than 125 m/s in the water explodes. I'm not sure how the current ground and water collision code works, but it is something roughly the same (though the speed is much lower).

We could perhaps make the max speed dependent on the ruggedness of the part. For example, the Command Pod seems to be designed to survive collisions at 45 m/s. We could take that value, crashTolerance, for every part in the vessel multiply it by a factor of say 3 to determine how well it should explode because it's moving too fast.

kodemunkey: better yet, sinking kethane rigs that resurface (no need for 2km of KAS winch).

You might need a loooooooot of buoyant tanks or crew stations to get that thing back to the surface, as it has been discussed that fuel doesn't float right now. But you could always rocket up from the bottom of the ocean. :D

Submarine progress update: Testing airship balloons and crewed vessels.

Step 1: Bringing the Deep Sea Base out to sea.

IndZDko.jpg

At this point the envelope works with the ballast tanks since the ballast tanks are not yet active (they are on the bottom of the upside down decoupler). Upon activation of the next stage, the envelope seemed to promptly fall to the water as was reported. I will have to create a single stage with both to investigate this problem further... Also will ask on the dev forums.

Did I mention how nice it is to be able to drop stuff in the water and it doesn't explode on impact? That alone makes this new buoyancy code really nice.

Also, that ship in the water is Jeb's original submarine. Without the new buoyancy code, it took 8 radial engines to force it under the water.

Step 2: Sinking the base.

AnXFj7G.jpg

Notice that the ballast tanks are on the bottom of the submarine, unlike previous designs. That is because those designs were mostly structure, fuel, etc. Stuff that does not float. However, as these capsules can hold crew they actually float really well. The ballast is used to make this sink.

After reaching a certain depth the Scene:raycastClosestShape error began to spam. Something is trying to use a raycast and it is not happy. I'm hoping it is the camera - I expect I to need to rewrite it anyway. At the moment the error seems to be harmless.

Step 3: Return to the surface.

QYhAG8G.jpg

One of the kerbonauts stepped out of the base to see what would happen. The result was that his (stock) buoyancy ripped him up to the surface. He hit it so fast that he shot a couple of meters into the air!

Since the jet engine was floating here it clearly did not receive the new buoyancy plugin.

To do list includes fixing the problems with the airship and getting a new camera. If possible, I will also look into adding a texture to the bottom of the ocean.

I may be able to fit in some quick code that will give nearby kerbs neutral buoyancy so they can do stuff like this...

post02_photo.jpg

.. And do stuff, like, say, attach KAS connectors to your submarines!

I agree that this looks good - mostly proper engineering with a bit of cartoon-ness that fits well within KSP. If you did want to go down to a single rudder behind the prop you could, it is not a big deal. The size of the rudder isn't too off scale.

Only the ballasts would probably need to run my code. If the rest (particularly the conn tower) holds crew then it would float.

I could help with any C# / Unity Script questions you might have... But I am going to have to take a break from this around the end of the week and start practicing for the Indie Speed Run.

I have long been a fan of the art in there. The plot is so typical mad scientist... "I'm going to create a new species to compete with humanity... and flood the planet! What better way to bring about world peace?"

I'm not seeing much while underwater, does everyone else get that or is it me? (by which i mean it doesn't look like the underwater screenshot you have

I'm not seeing much while underwater, does everyone else get that or is it me? (by which i mean it doesn't look like the underwater screenshot you have

First, congrats on getting underwater!

How deep are you? Also, I imagine it may also depend on your graphics settings. Screenshot?

Has anybody else run into the glitch where trying to go to the IVA messes up and doesn't show what the kerbals actually see? Mine keeps just putting the IVA view over the normal camera view.

I didn't test that! I think I can fix it.

There are currently many stock game problems with the camera when you are underwater. A camera rewrite is inevitable for this plugin.

Yeah, already on the first version of the rewrite.

Does anyone notice that you download Submarines 0.0.5??? I sense a changelog forthcoming. . .

Yeah this was a quick change made to try to make the ballast control easier to find. It might have been going off the bottom of some screens?

no idea how deep, hut I crash into the sea floor alot, any design tios? Also, any plans for robot subs?

Probably your sub is too heavy! Add more ballast or crew modules!

You can make a robot sub with a robot control pod and a power supply. Check out the HL Ballast Example included with the download.

OH!!! It's very funny bug.

Oh KSP, you mock me so! :D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

New update has a tremendous number of bugs, wich are making the game imposible to play. I'm waiting for fixes.;.;

Did you fall through the world? ... Or did you stare into the Abyss? :sticktongue:

If you just drifted to the bottom and it happened, well, perhaps the ocean floor doesn't have a good mesh?

I don't know if this has been mentioned (I don't care to read through 65 pages) but I found a little bug pretty quick. The velocity control doesn't take into account parts of the ship that are rested on the ground and not weighing on the envelopes. It also doesn't take into account the lowering of mass, which is fair enough I suppose, but maybe it would be better to go by the velocity of the envelope parts if possible. Cool mod anyway.