[0.21] Hooligan Labs - Airship, Submarines and More

Hooligan Labs

Funnily enough, I've been trying to get Kethane under water mining going too, but not had much luck with using an airship to drop the miner underwater.

I have, however made the airship the miner and dropped that under water successfully, not tried mining with it yet tho.

screenshot682_zps1325397a.png

As for the camera I used one of the telescopes on the bottom of it with lights, so I could see the ocean floor.

There are too many posts to go through each one, but I'll just say I'm on the case.

- Lowering drag (and making it depended on the part, rather than a flat value).

- Water impact will make more sense.

- Better camera control.

- Better control all around (will it sink / float).

- Better underwater visuals.

It's cool it see the first working prototypes rolling out!

There are too many posts to go through each one, but I'll just say I'm on the case.

- Lowering drag (and making it depended on the part, rather than a flat value).

- Water impact will make more sense.

- Better camera control.

- Better control all around (will it sink / float).

- Better underwater visuals.

It's cool it see the first working prototypes rolling out!

At the beginning of the last page you mentioned a rockomax sized inline tank? That would be pretty awesome for those of us who'd like to create sleek designs.

Bug Report on the Submarine Mod. Occasionally while taxing toward the water the craft's state (ie landed, orbiting, etc) becomes confused. Not sure why only noticed it while using the craft in the image below to taxi towards the water. (note: I was using my coning tower part but I doubt it was the cause)

Next on my list:

The conning tower is done. The textures for the rest of the pieces are underway. For some reason I had to re UVmap the Conning tower because Unity was unable to import the UV map I already had done?!? It irritated me but now it is fixed. Soon the rest of the sub pieces will follow but here is a spoiler.

Thanks for the updates! Here are a couple notes...

I watched your video B and it's good to know that stuff sometimes get stuck, I will watch for it. If it happens again shoot me the output log. Good luck with your tower!

Yes, due to the amazing quality of water that it weighs 1 metric ton per cubic meter (it's like it was planned that way!) the m3 buoyancy exactly equals 1 ton of lift.

Teaser of new parts on my rocket sub. Still debuging, but I love this game.

exP7W9o.jpg

Thanks for the updates! Here are a couple notes...

I watched your video B and it's good to know that stuff sometimes get stuck, I will watch for it. If it happens again shoot me the output log. Good luck with your tower!

Yes, due to the amazing quality of water that it weighs 1 metric ton per cubic meter (it's like it was planned that way!) the m3 buoyancy exactly equals 1 ton of lift.

Teaser of new parts on my rocket sub. Still debuging, but I love this game.

exP7W9o.jpg

Super!!! Will it be possible to dive without any details from mod? Or maybe think about adding tiny and light detail for researching oceans of Eve. Kerbin and Laythe.

Submarine update to 0.1.0! Download here!

Ik7jdzM.jpg

Warning: This update may break submarines from previous versions.

Tip for using the sub included with the download: You can fly the sub like a rocket directly to the water. Adjust pitch by right clicking a ballast. I recommend reducing the top front's ballast. This will raise the nose and make the sub and, as the top is more buoyant, reduce its tendency to roll over.

NhwV8Yo.jpg

Many new features!

- Significantly improved camera controls! No longer based on some weird rotating plane, should instead mostly be oriented "up" like normal camera controls in KSP.

- Depth control with target vertical velocity now works!

- Added two new ballast tanks: The 4x larger radial Atlantis and 6x larger Rockomax sized in-line Lemuria.

- Changed textures to blend better with gray spaceship parts.

- Water drag is now based on the vessel's normal atmospheric drag, should effectively double it. Overall, this significantly reduces drag on most parts compared to previous versions. Beware of "sinking like a stone".

- Water impact reworked. Parts explode when they hit the water at a speed exceeding their normal impact tolerance times a multiplier (currently 20). This is only checked on splashdown. Parts will not explode from going too fast while submerged. Overall, much less likely to explode when hitting or being in the water.

- Other tweaks and bug fixes I probably forgot.

Known bugs:

- When switching between underwater vessels the special underwater camera may not activate. The camera will appear stuck above. Right click a vessel's part and choose "Toggle Underwater Camera" to fix this.

- Depth control may try to adjust ballast while not underwater. This does not have much any effect since you cannot gain ballast while not submerged, but you have been warned.

- EVA does not have a working camera.

- Underwater camera control could use some more work.

- Still have not implemented underwater graphics effects.

Parts, not details. That was a mistake. I was thinking about somthing else then.

Sure. Copy the module code from one of the ballast part.cfg files and paste it into a part of four choosing. You probably want to reduce the buoyant volume and add a line saying canControl = 0 (means it's not a ballast part).

If you don't want to take this step, and you want to be able to control how much you float or sink, you must first attach one of the ballast parts to your vessel.

Edited by Hooligan Labs
More tips

Do the Kerbals still die if they do EVA?

I think I've never had an EVA die while underwater, unless falling very very far. I did test switching vehicles and EVA and did not have any of them freeze in position (unless I had "Make Stationary" toggled on, and it could be properly disabled).

Maybe for extreme depths, I did not test that much?

- Water impact reworked. Parts explode when they hit the water at a speed exceeding their normal impact tolerance times a multiplier (currently 20). This is only checked on splashdown. Parts will not explode from going too fast while submerged. Overall, much less likely to explode when hitting or being in the water.

I like this. It should allow skillful designers to use splashdown as a decoupler of sorts.

Great Update! This is stable enough to launch my first Laythe semi submersible mining mission. A video will be up within a day or two or three. Thanks for the Hard work you put in Hooligan.

With the increased impact resistance when impacting water, you should do some testing on Kerbin and see whether you can make use aquabraking!