[0.21] Hooligan Labs - Airship, Submarines and More

Hooligan Labs

This is all speculative stuff which I don't know is even possible yet, but:

I use FAR. I've been looking at using "Ray" as an aerobrake shield ( not a heatshield, just to keep things behind it out of quite possibly extremely fast gas flow ). Ignoring whether it'll actually shield anything for a minute...

* Have you got any idea if the drag changes depending on the size of the envelope? FAR is usually reasonable about these things but this is a quirky piece of kit.

* The envelope doesn't want to deploy in space, is there a way to force it out?

So how do i make them move? Obviously bouyancy makes it go up or down but i cant actually move anywhere, do i need an engineer?

You need an engine, these are just the envelopes. I suggest the prop engines from firespitter mod. They seem made for airships.

* Have you got any idea if the drag changes depending on the size of the envelope? FAR is usually reasonable about these things but this is a quirky piece of kit.

Part of the plugin is a change in drag when deployed for the Una and Ray. You can edit this in the part.cfg file.

* The envelope doesn't want to deploy in space, is there a way to force it out?

Also in the .cfg file you can reduce the necessary air pressure for it to deploy.

Ok so if I read that right, the Cirrus will still lift 174 tons to 2km on Kerbin but only about 27 tons on Duna?

That is exactly correct. The table is based on the pressure formula given on the official KSP wiki. Now, in test it has been found that airships somehow lift better than it would seem on paper, so aim for this much tonnage and you should be fine.

You need an engine, these are just the envelopes. I suggest the prop engines from firespitter mod. They seem made for airships.

You can image that when the Firespitter mod came out we were in CAHOOTS. :cool:

i was using .20 at the time (would seem obvious by the post date) i think i'll install this first to make sure i didn't fudge up the install, and find the issue (saw manley use this mod with alongside the others i have installed, hence such confusion)

Has anyone tried before to edit the envelopes and anchors to establish a underwater base, with the envelopes edited so they actually sink?

I have done alot of underwater testing, but since the view is garbage I have never established anything, only done tests. The better way to do it is actually to use ID float code in reverse to cancel out some of the insane amount of float stock parts have.

So..um...How do i control them? been playing with these for a while now and i'm trying to make a cargo airship with no success.

You don't. The mod just has balloons, which you move up or down through the window that pops up; to actually move the craft forward or backward, you need an engine. Propellers from the Firespitter pack are recommended, especially electric ones.

So..um...How do i control them? been playing with these for a while now and i'm trying to make a cargo airship with no success.

Maybe this will help!

You don't. The mod just has balloons, which you move up or down through the window that pops up; to actually move the craft forward or backward, you need an engine. Propellers from the Firespitter pack are recommended, especially electric ones.

Also you can control the balloons individually by right-clicking them or setting action bindings. Good for blimp shapes.

Is there a particularly well recommended baloon?

Cirrus is the biggest. If you want to put stuff on the side of the balloon, try the Octo. :cool:

I was wondering about deploy-able envelopes. How hard would it be to create an envelop (graphene like the cirrus) that is designed to be deployed outside the atmoshpere for the purpose of holding LH2. The idea being some super-light tankage for use with modular tanks.

Any thoughts on this?

I was wondering about deploy-able envelopes. How hard would it be to create an envelop (graphene like the cirrus) that is designed to be deployed outside the atmoshpere for the purpose of holding LH2. The idea being some super-light tankage for use with modular tanks.

Any thoughts on this?

I am fairly certain this subject was lightly discussed before in this thread, though I couldn't point you to the page. Also if I recall it was deemed possible to rig up an expandable bladder-style fuel tank. I think a set of lightweight deployable tanks would be an awesome pack, though Im not sure how one would go about it(plus with my animating skills the thought of trying to animate even the Una is....makes my head hurts..)

Okay, I'm having an issue with the HL portable launchpad (for use with etraplanetary launch). It seems to be stuck in debug mode, even though I've edited the .cfg to set debug as false. All rockets spawn on the pad fully fueled.

MODULE
{
name = ExLaunchPad
debug = FALSE
}

Any idea what's going on?

Okay, I'm having an issue with the HL portable launchpad (for use with etraplanetary launch). It seems to be stuck in debug mode, even though I've edited the .cfg to set debug as false. All rockets spawn on the pad fully fueled.

MODULE
{
name = ExLaunchPad
debug = FALSE
}

Any idea what's going on?

try either 'debug = false' or 'debug = False'

one of those should work

Which is why I was posting that here where Hooligan might see it. I was temped to try canablizing a Una with config hacks for proof of concept but the shape is just all wrong. Using a rescaled Cirrus might work better.

Dunno was hoping for some feed back from Hooligan as my modding skills stop at cfg hacks.

try either 'debug = false' or 'debug = False'

one of those should work

None of those work. Really frustrating since I've spent several hours building up requisite base infrastructure :(

Is the debug setting maybe buried in the savefile somewhere?

None of those work. Really frustrating since I've spent several hours building up requisite base infrastructure :(

Is the debug setting maybe buried in the savefile somewhere?

Are you reloading KSP from the in game debug menu or are you restarting it?