Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

2jab86s.jpg

The Kethane Pack is maintained and distributed here and on KSP Modders. If you have bug reports, questions or feature suggestions, please post them to the Github issue tracker for the project and follow the bug reporting guidelines.

The Kethane Pack was originally developed by Dani-Sang (concept, models, textures and animations) and Kulesz (plugin). Majiir (that's me) is now managing the project. Keptin created the parts introduced after version 0.1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[snip]

Last updated October 7, 2014 (KSP 0.25.0) (release notes)

Download patch for 1.0 compatability (unzip on top of 0.9.2)

License - Kethane Source - Grid Source - Old versions

Kethane Wiki

See the wiki for frequently asked questions, version history, part details and more.

Have a problem? Read the bug reporting guidelines first!

Problem with fuel routing? There's a thread for that.

Live Development Streams

2013-06-25 - Majiir works on tweaking particle effects until Kethane creator Dani-Sang makes a surprise visit.

btn_donate_SM.gif

Please note that donations go to Majiir and not any other participant in the Kethane project.

I will buy things that make me personally happy, like good coffee beans and k-pop socks.

Remember: a programmer is a tool for converting caffeine into code.

Kethane 0.9.2 Trailer (by Charles Rogers/Umbongo Time)

Kethane 0.4.1 Trailer (by Keptin)

Edited by Vanamonde

work in 0.17 planet and moons?

Yep. I'll be expanding on this some time so the deposit distribution makes more sense.

Is the air filter for jool still in the up coming parts?

Yes, but it won't be for a little while. Maintenance of the current plugin is my priority right now before I add major features.

Majiir, are you doing the texturing and the coding?

I'm doing the coding. I have some modeling and texturing experience, but I haven't done any for KSP and my expertise is really coding. Dani-Sang supplied me with a model for an unreleased part, so that will tide us over for a little while.

So this means that the mod will develop at a faster pace?

We'll see. It'll certainly develop faster than it was with kulesz so busy. I'm still thinking over the long-term timetable.

Has the 'deactivated' fuel tank not being refilled been fixed already? That's what I heard...

Yes. For best results, I highly recommend grabbing my other plugin, MajiirKerbalLib, which has a more complete fix for the refilling issue.

Thq for taking it over m8!

To echo others, thank you for building it to begin with.

It still detects on the highest warp, it just offers a really, really, really bad map of the planet/moon. It works the same its just the rate at which you map is the same and does not increase with warp value. Basicly, if you run it at higher warp speeds (excluding physical warp), it generates a very pixelated map, someone correct me about this if I am wrong, and conerning altitude, I have no idea.

I don't know just how high it'll work, but it works just fine in a 150km orbit. Running at high time warps produce basically unusable maps, 100x is the fastest I would go. 50x produces a map with minimal pixelation if you're willing to wait a little however.

I do have a bug to report - I landed on the Mun, started mining and turned up the time warp, and the fuel in the pocket went down as expected. However, when I switched back to 1x time warp, the kethane level of the pocket jumped back to where it was before I engaged time warp. I was running the extractor, detector, and converter all at once at 1000x time warp.

Other than that, this is my first time using this plugin and I must say it's rather nifty and I hope to see more in the future.

I just found that majority of Kethane on Laythe lies deep under the oceans! Kethane Hydrate maybe?

I like the idea of custom generated pockets but I think you should add 'altitude filter' specifically for Layhte, so that Kethane won't generate underwater...

Other than that I love the mod!

I think Kethane should not exist on Laythe. It is like Kerbin in many ways, and it was stated at the beginning of this mod that Kethane is rare on kerbin but abundant elsewhere on rocky moons.

Are you open to pull requests on github?

Will you be maintaining the models on Github too? If so I'll go ahead and take a shot at making the scoop in the kethane pack style.

Edited by nhnifong

It works the same its just the rate at which you map is the same and does not increase with warp value.

Not entirely true! The rate increases logarithmically. I picked that because it gives a balanced tradeoff where higher warp does get you more data per second, but lower warp gets you data more concentrated in the same area.

I do have a bug to report - I landed on the Mun, started mining and turned up the time warp, and the fuel in the pocket went down as expected. However, when I switched back to 1x time warp, the kethane level of the pocket jumped back to where it was before I engaged time warp. I was running the extractor, detector, and converter all at once at 1000x time warp.

Thanks. I'll take a look at this.

I just found that majority of Kethane on Laythe lies deep under the oceans! Kethane Hydrate maybe?

I like the idea of custom generated pockets but I think you should add 'altitude filter' specifically for Layhte, so that Kethane won't generate underwater...

Other than that I love the mod!

At some point I'll be customizing deposit generation for each celestial body. In the meantime, we get random generation, which I know isn't particularly immersive.

Are you open to pull requests on github?

Yes! ...but not yet. I'm still getting organized after the handover and I'd like to write up some contribution guidelines. Expect this within a few days.

Will you be maintaining the models on Github too?

Probably not, since I'm not a big fan of using version control for non-text files, but I might be convinced.

I'll go ahead and take a shot at making the scoop in the kethane pack style.

That would be great! Take a look at the PROFAC concept:

profac-cutaway.jpg

In particular, note the center spike and how the cone is a bit larger so the rest of the craft experiences zero drag. The scoop part should also have the compression/liquification/cooling systems attached behind it. (Those don't need to be as big as in the picture; just make sure it's more than a cone.) Optional features might include a way to close it to reduce drag, as suggested.

I'm also thinking of concepts for ejecting non-Kethane gasses. More on that later.

[EDIT] I should note, as I have for others in private, that a scoop part likely isn't making it into a release for a little while. There's been a lot of interest in modeling this particular part, which is great. Just don't expect it to be released a week later, since I have quite a bit of coding to do between now and then. :)

If anyone's looking to contribute new part models, consider a 2-meter Kethane tank.

Edited by Majiir

It may be just me, but I'm running into issues where it seems that quicksaving and loading wipes any Kethane deposits, at least on the current body you're orbiting...

Edit: Also, the deposit map is inverted - south is up.

Edited by NovaSilisko

The ram-intake is what I tried to code, but it did not work at all. I hope it works- Know that I, am behind you man. Keep up the good work.

Oh- A question, right, almost forgot: have you figured out how to fix the maps blanking and changing every time I turn off the game? I keep sending probes out to the mun and minimus, and I scan, then I need to turn off the game for some reason (Usual windows updates), then the maps are gone. How do you fix that?/Could you fix that?

Probably not, since I'm not a big fan of using version control for non-text files, but I might be convinced.

That would be great! Take a look at the PROFAC concept:

profac-cutaway.jpg

In particular, note the center spike and how the cone is a bit larger so the rest of the craft experiences zero drag. The scoop part should also have the compression/liquification/cooling systems attached behind it. (Those don't need to be as big as in the picture; just make sure it's more than a cone.) Optional features might include a way to close it to reduce drag, as suggested.

If anyone's looking to contribute new part models, consider a 2-meter Kethane tank.

Using Git for non-text files is as easy as making an entry in a .gitattributes file that tells git to consider it non-decomposable. see http://schacon.github.com/git/gitattributes.html#_marking_files_as_binary

I like the plan of the Kethane scoop needing the cooling and compressing equipment behind it. However I think that the device in that picture, although it is functional, just looks like a simple backwards thruster. I think that a slight deviation from that shape would be nice, to make the part more unique. Additionally I'd like to follow the toyish beveled green aesthetic precedent set by the detector.

Also, what do you think about the idea of the scoops/compressors getting hot while gathering kethane? It would be nice to have some kind of feedback to know that they are working.

Edited by nhnifong

have you figured out how to fix the maps blanking and changing every time I turn off the game? I keep sending probes out to the mun and minimus, and I scan, then I need to turn off the game for some reason (Usual windows updates), then the maps are gone. How do you fix that?/Could you fix that?
It may be just me, but I'm running into issues where it seems that quicksaving and loading wipes any Kethane deposits, at least on the current body you're orbiting...

This is a common problem. It's on the list.

Also, the deposit map is inverted - south is up.

Also a common request, and now on the list.

Using Git for non-text files is as easy as making an entry in a .gitattributes file that tells git to consider it non-decomposable. see http://schacon.github.com/git/gitattributes.html#_marking_files_as_binary

I'll look into it. The other issue is that the models are in .mu format right now, which as I understand, doesn't lend well to modification.

I like the plan of the Kethane scoop needing the cooling and compressing equipment behind it. However I think that the device in that picture, although it is functional, just looks like a simple backwards thruster. I think that a slight deviation from that shape would be nice, to make the part more unique.

Yeah, it shouldn't be boringâ€â€but it should also really be a scoop. The outer cone could use some slight curvature. And, of course, the Kethane style is a must. (Although, for the scoop, I actually had black/green in mind. Need concept drawings!)

Also, what do you think about the idea of the scoops/compressors getting hot while gathering kethane? It would be nice to have some kind of feedback to know that they are working.

Yeah, I thought of that. The compressor in particular will get hot, as will the narrowest areas of the scoop. This is also a gameplay feature; heat dissipation will be important on scoop satellites.

I would like to suggest two alternative scoops styles if that basic one doesn't look right to you.

The mig-21 has a nice looking one and the cone could be slid forward to close off the intake and reduce drag.

One other approach to consider is using two side radial mounted scoops, perhaps similar to this race car.

A third option could be an oval intake.

I would like to suggest two alternative scoops styles if that basic one doesn't look right to you.

The mig-21 has a nice looking one and the cone could be slid forward to close off the intake and reduce drag.

One other approach to consider is using two side radial mounted scoops, perhaps similar to this race car.

A third option could be an oval intake.

The problem with deviating too much from the design I posted earlier is we end up spitting in the face of physics. We're not collecting at the speed of a racecar or even the speed of sound; we're at orbital velocity, which is a lot faster. I considered something like your sliding-spike idea. The sizes are a little off, but it could be made to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.