Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

There is literally a link for the unofficial update for .90 4 posts above yours on the same page...

And it literally says: unofficial.

And he's asking directly the maintainer of the mod, for an official release. Slight difference.

Old ships from before 0.90 can drill but can't convert, NO ships can convert kethane to monoprop anymore (conversion only works to Jet Fuel/Oxidiser) and of course there is the scanning issue. The unofficial patch at least gets it going this far, but a real official fix will be nice if and when it ever appears.

(snip)

Having the same problem as this. Haven't tried the drilling yet because obviously I have to scan for it first.

The overlay in the SCANsat window isn't working either.

(snip)

I just started using Kethane after upgrading to KSP 0.90 (with the unofficial patch, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-9-2-New-cinematic-trailer%21-0-25-compatibility-update?p=1684327&viewfull=1#post1684327 ), and it's mostly working for me. The Kethane button (large button with a hex icon) only shows up on the Tracking Station view, as DauntingFlyer mentioned above. So I've been going to the Tracking Station, clicking the hex button to display the Kethane "widget" to show/hide the overlay. Switching between different spacecraft (*without* going to the Space Center), I can still show/hide the Kethane overlay.

My SCANsat window has a Kethane button, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the large or small SCANsat maps.

One thing that I've noticed, not sure if it's a bug or intended behavior: When I have an active detector on a ship in orbit, it only seems to scan/detect while I'm actively flying that ship. If I switch to another ship, (e.g. between a polar scanner and an inclined "equatorial" scanner), only the one that is currently active will update unscanned hexes.

Old ships from before 0.90 can drill but can't convert, NO ships can convert kethane to monoprop anymore (conversion only works to Jet Fuel/Oxidiser) and of course there is the scanning issue. The unofficial patch at least gets it going this far, but a real official fix will be nice if and when it ever appears.

I don't have any pre-0.90 kethane ships, but I DO have a new mining/processing ship on Mun producing fuel, oxidizer, *and monopropellant*. I am using the medium converter (the one that doesn't output xenon). What parts are you trying?

I've noticed that monopropellent is only generated while fuel and/or oxidizer is being output. Once my F+O tanks are filled, no more MP is generated even though there's plenty of room in the MP tank(s). Could this be what's happening to you, broberds?

One thing that I've noticed, not sure if it's a bug or intended behavior: When I have an active detector on a ship in orbit, it only seems to scan/detect while I'm actively flying that ship. If I switch to another ship, (e.g. between a polar scanner and an inclined "equatorial" scanner), only the one that is currently active will update unscanned hexes.

That's the way it has always worked, due to limitations of KSP. It *could* be worked around but would require lots of calculation to generate the orbit coverage ships with Kethane scanners have flown while you're not actively flying them.

Jeez, just use Karbonite!

as much as i like roverdude im not too much a fan of kerbonite because:

1. I dont like flying a plane with a scanner and having big orange blobs sticking out the ground and making it hard to see the ground and land

2. i preffer orbital scanners then drill for kethane whenever i feel like it

3. kethane was out first and kerbonite was something to do us for now until kethane was updated

4. I preffer the hex layer map (EPL uses the kethane hex map too)

5. (my opinion, nothing against roverdude, like i said i look up to him) kethane should of been picked for the new update, it was out longer and deserves to be noticed

6. kethane is small and compact and nicely textured with a low part count and has a nice orbital scanner and grid

7. kethane scans the planet to find kethane and/kerbonite scans the atmosphere and brings up large ugly blobs and you cant see where your landing

8. kethane (for me) is better layed out and simple and easy

but thats just me, kerbonite is a completely different thing, completely different layout and style and more popular

- - - Updated - - -

Good news, everyone!

I managed to tweak Kethane and recompile it for 0.90. I confirm that it is indeed working. I was able to scan, extract and convert kethane into fuel. I did not test it extensively, so it may still be broken.

Steps to run Kethane 0.9.2 on KSP 0.90.

1. Download Kethane 0.9.2 and install as usual.

2. Download this library: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qufce6eeold7739/Kethane.dll?dl=0 and place it in [KSP_install]/GameData/Kethane/Plugins (there will be the original Kethane.dll that does not work, replace it).

Note that I'm not taking over this mod, not joining maintainers team etc. I merely rebuilt it for my own benefit and when it worked, I thought that others may find it useful. I'm sure that Majiir will release proper version soon.

The following license applies: Kethane-LICENSE

can you someone update this please? it doesnt work for everyone

1. I dont like flying a plane with a scanner and having big orange blobs sticking out the ground and making it hard to see the ground and land

Just FYI, Karbonite has done away with the hotspot 'blobs' and now has fully integrated scan sat functionality, which means resource scanning happens in the background, no more flying the scanning sat, to see where the resources are, and EPL has been intergrated into the Karbonite and MKS/OKS family.

2. i preffer orbital scanners then drill for kethane whenever i feel like it

3. kethane was out first and kerbonite was something to do us for now until kethane was updated

5. (my opinion, nothing against roverdude, like i said i look up to him) kethane should of been picked for the new update, it was out longer and deserves to be noticed

6. kethane is small and compact and nicely textured with a low part count and has a nice orbital scanner and grid

7. kethane scans the planet to find kethane and/kerbonite scans the atmosphere and brings up large ugly blobs and you cant see where your landing

8. kethane (for me) is better layed out and simple and easy

but thats just me, kerbonite is a completely different thing, completely different layout and style and more popular

1 & 2) As someone else previously stated, this is not the case anymore. Now it has full integration with Scansat and map resource overlay (something that IMO is way better integrated into the game than Kethane ever was)

3) Kethane was first out yes, but clearly not the one beeing updated and worked on most. Also, older doesn't mean better.

4) I can see your point here. It has pros and cons both ways, and while I once in a while wished it was tiled, Im more than happy with the way karbonite / resource overlay works.

5) Kethane developers did this to themself when they had a lisence that didn't allow the community to build upon the mod itself. So while it is older, it has near to none compatibility with other mods exept ELP.

6) agreed, several of the parts in Kethane I realy like, and also the smaller size of it in some cases.

7) not the case anymore and not relevant.

8) Its the integration of Kerbonite into everything else from Roverdude that realy sells it. If both had the same compatibility you could have seen it as a lightweight basic vs heavyweight with lots of options but Kethane kinda stands alone with the one exeption of EPL.

We are not getting Karbonite in stock but rather something similar to Karbonite. There is probably a few reasons, for this, the main two i can think of is that

1) Roverdude is active on the forums and keeps up with his mods, and is thus available to collaborate with Squad on implementing a more stock version of a resource system.

2) Many of the ideas and concepts in kethane, like the hex grid scan system are copyrighted, and thus prevents it from being implemented with out permision from the developers of Kethane, who (as stated above) aren't around for contact about that possibility.

3) Roverdudes Regolith mod, which is similar to what we are getting is very open ended and allows for others to add in their resource with very little fuss, while Kethane is a very closed system. One of the goals Roverdude is helping to bring to the new resource system is ease of access for mods makers to build off of.

That said, I do like Kethane, even though I am using Karbonite at the moment, and hope that it is still updated once KSP 1.0 comes out for those that want it as well.

3) Roverdudes Regolith mod, which is similar to what we are getting is very open ended and allows for others to add in their resource with very little fuss, while Kethane is a very closed system. One of the goals Roverdude is helping to bring to the new resource system is ease of access for mods makers to build off of.

Actually, Kethane has been "open" in that it's trivial to add resources (both as deposits and for converters) since the days of KSP 0.21 (if not 0.20). A little later, it became possible to add custom deposit generators, though nobody has made use of them.

I've never used Kethane, and I've played around with Karbonite only a little. I have a dim recollection that Kethane is depletable whereas Karbonite is not. Is that the case?

I see advantages and disadvantages to making resources finite: it seems more realistic, but it might also be more tedious.

Actually, Kethane has been "open" in that it's trivial to add resources (both as deposits and for converters) since the days of KSP 0.21 (if not 0.20). A little later, it became possible to add custom deposit generators, though nobody has made use of them.

I stand corrected, though I think I knew this before but didn't think about it when I wrote that sentence. What I was really trying to get at though was that with kethane, you had to have kethane installed and couldn't edit kethane out and still use it's plugin while I believe that with karbonite, all you need is the regolith plugin to add your own resources with out having to have Karbonite installed, as well as being able to have your resource mod be a stand alone mod versus having to install two mods just to get one to work. That's my experience with EPL at least.

No, even the Kethane resource itself was not hardcoded (as of around the time of 0.21, at least). It may well have been hard-coded in earlier versions, but they couldn't do other resources either. Skykooler (original author of EL) had to hack Kethane for Extraplantary Launchpads when he created it.

I've never used Kethane, and I've played around with Karbonite only a little. I have a dim recollection that Kethane is depletable whereas Karbonite is not. Is that the case?

I see advantages and disadvantages to making resources finite: it seems more realistic, but it might also be more tedious.

Yes, Kethane deposits can be depleted. I did that last night testing a lander on Moho. Didn't fill up a pair of 16K unit tanks twice. Kethane goes on a per-deposit amount, you can drain all contiguous hexes in a deposit from one hex.

No, even the Kethane resource itself was not hardcoded (as of around the time of 0.21, at least). It may well have been hard-coded in earlier versions, but they couldn't do other resources either. Skykooler (original author of EL) had to hack Kethane for Extraplantary Launchpads when he created it.

Interesting. I'm curious to what the final stock resource system will be like, Hopefully kethane might be able to take advantage of it. though I do look forward to the prospect of one less mod I need to install.

Interesting. I'm curious to what the final stock resource system will be like,

Considering it's being made by/in cooperation with RoverDude, it'll almost certainly be a lot like Karbonite in most respects. At least that's my guess. As a former Kethane user (and current dabbler with Karbonite), I'm perfectly okay with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.