Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

isn't there a way to get KSP to stop bugging me about Kethane being incompatible? I thought you just added a version.txt file. The incompatible message included PreciseNode too so I went into the version.txt and changed it to "1.0.4" and then it only listed Kethane. Kethane didn't have a version.txt so I copied the one from PreciseNode - tried both the main and plugin folders but still get the notification when KSP starts

There is a mod to remove the check for mod compatibility

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97897-Compatibility-Popup-Blocker

Edit: I re installed the folder and now it just says its incompatible with KSP 1.0.4, but most of the problems are solved except the broken nodes.
The nodes simply face the wrong way, because Kethane was made when that didn't matter. There are three workarounds:

* Place the part on backwards then use the rotate gizmo to bring it back to the correct position.

* Enable the debug menu option for non-strict orientation checks. Note that this may make attaching thin parts like heatshields problematic, so turn it back off when you need to.

* Edit the part .cfgs or make a Module Manager patch to correct the node orientations. (Such an edited cfg or MM patch should be fine to include in the compatibillity download too.)

Gaiiden: The version check is hard-coded in the dll, by design. Those of us modders who went with Majiir's version checker did not want users messing with the checks unless they were capable of supporting themselves.

Ah, I get it now. I honestly didn't figure that you were telling me it was a hardcoded thing

I'm sorry I haven't been able to update Kethane: I've been busy with other stuff and lately it has been insanely hot (35C outside, who knows what inside at work (over 20 10kW machines without room to swing a cat)) and thus I've been rather exhausted, too.

No apologies needed. My arms are currently sticking to my desk with sweat and I will have to switch off my computer soon and retreat downstairs where the A/C actually seems to work. So I hear ya. Summer sucks in this regard... I try my best to sleep during the day so I can work at night

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I love the kethane mod. I hope that the stock resource things don't derail its development. I can see ways kethane could integrate some of the stock resource mining things and still maintain the kethane feel, but I'm stuck in python (and lately fortran) land and can't help out.

Unfortunately Kethane has to be seen as end-of-life now, having received only basic compatibility patches for the last few KSP versions. It can't even be distributed as a single download. That is the consequence of restrictive "All Rights Reserved" licensing, which applies for Kethane's models and textures.

The plugin and configs are under more liberal licenses, so somebody interested could work with the code if they desired.

cantab: don't write Kethane off yet.

seanth: I have plans to convert Kethane's extractors/converters over to the stock system (but continue to use Kethane's resource maps), but I have quite a few things on my plate so no timeline at the moment.

Edited by taniwha

seanth: I have plans to convert Kethane's extractors/converters over to the stock system (but continue to use Kethane's resource maps), but I have quite a few things on my plate so no timeline at the moment.

Very cool. Put me down as a tester if you need one

Hi folks,

It's been brought to my attention that there's continued interest in Kethane, in particular the part models and textures.

The plugin source code is (and has been for some time) open-source under permissive licenses (BSD). (This includes the 'GeodesicGrid' source.) The art assets, however, were licensed differently by the original artists. At least some of the parts were intended by the artists to be used only with Kethane. This has effectively prevented others from publishing Kethane forks, which is not the intention.

Therefore, in order to allow for continued work on Kethane while respecting the artists' wishes, I would like to name taniwha the successor of the Kethane project, and in effect to sublicense the rights to all models, textures and other assets to taniwha for distribution and modification as needed to maintain the project.

If there are questions or if this statement is insufficient to "unstick" the project, feel free to get in touch with me in #kspmodders on IRC.

Cheers,

Majiir

I have released Kethane 0.9.3 in a new thread. The only real changes in the release from my 1.0 compatibility zip are the part attach node fixes are included, and both dlls have been rebuilt.

Majiir: again, thank you, both for all your work on Kethane and for permitting me to keep it alive.

I set up the 1m and 2m converters to use the moduleResourceConverter, and submitted two pull requests. One is just a straight up port, and the other mass-balances the conversions so craft won't gain/lose mass as the convert kethane into other things. I used to ignore mass balancing things, but a question RoverDude asked me made me start paying closer attention to it.

The math is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11H1hLzPzBl2pBNYymQwinJCxgsket9GIGNfUSgvfn1g/edit?usp=sharing

There are two basic problems to cope with:

1.) KSP deals with things in liters, and you can't balance the mass equations unless everything has the same density.

2.) Even though the kethane resource is based on methane, there is some magical alchemy making atoms appear. Even if we assume the kethane resource is really, really dirty (has oxygen and xenon mixed in), just saying that doesn't make it easy to mass balance.

Hope this helps in the effort.

• 1 month later...

When 1.0 came out, I thought, "Well there goes Deadly Reentry, Kethane, FAR..." While DR and FAR are replaced pretty well by the stock system, the lack of a persistent resource map brought me back to Kethane. Then I remembered the goodies that came with, like the airless jet engine (how does that work without air, anyway?), the Soylent Gas, and the compatibility with Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Long story short, go Kethane! Let's see how much it can keep growing!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.