Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Cuel, not since the recent changes to the density of Kethane. it is much more even now.

To clarify:

<snip>

My goal with this update was to eliminate either option as a dominant strategy and give players more interesting choices. With the better-than-perfect conversion, it may be economical to haul Kethane and convert it closer to where it's burned, but since the gain is fairly small, the mass of the converters and electrical hardware may end up overwhelming the benefit. It might be most economical to have Kethane converters stationed at a fuel depot, or as part of a service module, or on a transport, or... you get the idea. There's no longer one obvious "best" way to use Kethane.

<snip>

Edited by Fyrem

I think it's been proven that converting on the ground is most efficient.

This is just not true. With the balancing changes now more than ever. But even before this update not always a true statement.

It really depends on what your using the Kethane for. I typicaly make small refineries to refuel my planetary operations, I blast the rest of as raw Kethane into space. I like doing it this way because it makes it more versatile. I tend to just stockpile Kethane in huge orbital refineries/tank farms till its needed. My orbital refineries don't process fuel until its needed.

Just my take on things, Im sure everyone runs mining ops a bit different.

Looks awesome!

Cant wait to put hands on that drill. You know, your preview pics are first mining rigs Ive seen on forums that come close to how I build. I use small wellheads to mine and feed a larger logistics network.

Looking forward to the next Kethane update =)

Kethane 0.5 has been released. The download link on the first post has been updated.

This update adds new parts, revamps deposit saving and makes some fixes and improvements.

Warning: This will erase your existing deposits. This should happen much less frequently in the future (see release notes below).

Changes in this version:

• Added the KE-WAITNONOSTOP-01, a radially mounted extractor currently under investigation by several Kerbal rights organizations.
  • Restructured extractor module code to separate extraction logic from animation handling.
  • Added an extractor animator using Unity animations.
  • Added the KE-X270 Heavy Drilling Unit, a large stack-mounted extractor.
  • Added gas and spark effects to the KE-X270. Sparks will fly when the drill head enters the ground, and gas clouds will appear when the drill finishes deploying if it's over a Kethane deposit. The effects are influenced by gravity and air pressure, so different bodies will give these effects different characteristics.
  • Restructured and simplified deposit code to support a new save format and slightly modified the generation algorithm along the way. The only impact this should have is that deposits may now be found closer together, and as a result, some bodies will have more deposits.
  • Overhauled deposit saving. Deposit locations and initial quantities are now generated from a seed which is stored alongside the persistence file of the current save. Current deposit levels are stored along with the seed. This means that deposit arrangements and levels can easily be shared and modified. Additionally, the new format will maintain deposit information in future updates. (Note: This update will still erase data from prior versions.)
  • Scan maps are now stored separately per seed. Note that if you have two save files with the same seed, those saves will share scan maps.
  • Kethane deposit scans are now shaded by the deposit's initial capacity. More saturated green indicates a higher capacity.
  • Added a status indicator to the extractor context menu.
  • Halved converter speed for both converters. This corrects an oversight in the 0.4.4 update, which caused the effective conversion speed to double.
  • The detector window will now close if all detectors on a vessel are destroyed or detached.
  • Deposit data is now only saved when an extractor part saves, and maps are only saved when a detector part saves.
  • Removed the unused deposit depth mechanic.
  • Removed unused sound loading code from extractors.

This is where the debug tool really comes in handy. You can spawn some kethane near the space center for testing. I actually have a small tank farm tucked behind the VAB I keep full of kethane for ship testing, took me like 20min to set it all up.

Don't the debug spawn here change all kerthane deposits in the solar system? or is it just body wise now? It also mess up old scans.

Yay, a new drill! Perfect for my largest mining rigs!

Also, I got a little sad when I tested the blender. :( Though I can see it being useful if you have two Kerbals who'll both die if one doesn't sacrifice himself.

EDIT: This isn't a request, it's just something that might be interesting to consider. What if Jool had Kethane gas in its atmosphere? So spacecraft aerobraking through it could use a special scoop to gather Kethane gas, then pump it through a small refinery to turn it into pure Kethane. Which would also open up the opportunity for large rockets and/or the Hooligan airship mods to allow the creation of Kethane gas mines in Jool's atmosphere, then shipping it up to space stations in orbit.

Edited by Sapphire

Awesome update!

Love the new drill, and the effect look wonderful.

And the blender.....at long last there is something productive to do with all the sissy kerbals! Before I had a boring orbital station I sent all those kerbals to...only heros on my missions! But now those same scardy-cats are getting blended!

What if Jool had Kethane gas in its atmosphere? So spacecraft aerobraking through it could use a special scoop to gather Kethane gas, then pump it through a small refinery to turn it into pure Kethane. Which would also open up the opportunity for large rockets and/or the Hooligan airship mods to allow the creation of Kethane gas mines in Jool's atmosphere, then shipping it up to space stations in orbit.

This is a planned feature and has been for some time. I'll revisit it and see if it's doable in the next update, but my guess is not.

Would there be a way to setup the Kethane Pack to have two or more types of resource to drill for?

The focus of the next major revision (0.6) is multiple resources support. I don't have any firm plans for Kethane itself to ship with more resources, but I do plan to allow other mods to define a config file which tells Kethane which resources to add.

What would be nice is to have the ability to change the colors of what is scanned instead of a shade of green. If we could define something either via the UI for amounts between 0-50k, 50-100k, then by 100k range after, it'd make it even more easier to decide where to go once you have a planet scanned. Right now, its white, green and gray. I can't tell though (Running at 100x and getting some pixels instead) if I'm looking at white within some green, or if the whole area is green.

Or even with the existing, if we were able to change the grey, green, and white to say blue, bright red, and white, we'd CLEARLY see what is where.

Excellent work none the less. :]

I love your sense of humor with the naming of the new drill type, Majir. Also, doesn't it figure that the day I download the 0.4.4 update, the 0.5 update comes out? :P

EDIT: Strange, I can't find the WAITNONOSTOP-01 anywhere in the in-game parts list. It gets loaded according to the logs, but it's not available. Anyone else having that problem?

Edited by SkyRender

SkyRender: Trust me, it's better if you don't find it... Shows up in the science tab for me, right next to the scanners. I tried it once and the guilt will haunt me for the rest of my days.

I just read it and read the part description. All I can say is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Its a good thing yall...lets the coward kerbals still make a contribution to the space program....

"Sigfed Kerman"

"Yes Sir"

"Your horrible at flying rockets, so mission control has decided to grind you up to fuel the rockets for Jeb to fly, sorry about your luck"

"Yes sir, very AHHHHHHHH!" bzzzzzzzz

And the space program goes on =P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.