Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

OKay, I have a problem. The debugger won't work. I grabbed that part (mainly because I'm too lazy to do the tedious scanning process for every planet I visit), slapped it on an ion probe, and shot it off to Minmus. Once there, I right clicked and hit open debugger console. Nothing happened. Even with the main KSP debugger open, nothing. Solutions? I really don't feel like sending probes to every world and then time warping for half an hour to get my kethane maps.

OKay, I have a problem. The debugger won't work. I grabbed that part (mainly because I'm too lazy to do the tedious scanning process for every planet I visit), slapped it on an ion probe, and shot it off to Minmus. Once there, I right clicked and hit open debugger console. Nothing happened. Even with the main KSP debugger open, nothing. Solutions? I really don't feel like sending probes to every world and then time warping for half an hour to get my kethane maps.

You can make a usable map on time warp in 10min, less for moons.

I'm using ion probes, which are pretty slow. For going out to Duna, thats another 10 minutes just to set up the encounter and go. That and I am using the smaller (shorter range) detector so it takes me longer to make good maps.

And quite frankly, I really don't want to use hyperedit to cut out that fisrt 10 min. I try to only use that for testing or If I've already done it before (aerobrake on duna, lose all solar panels, need to restart)

I want to save some people some time with their mapping satellites again.

I released a bulky scanner a few weeks ago that gets the job done, but its just one satellite. This new .craft is 5 satellites in one for convenient mapping of the Jool system.

The Jool in One satellite launch system!

Contains MechJeb and Kethane parts only (with stock obviously)

r8ww.jpg

wqnj.jpg

The launch profile open to your prefrence, however the method I used successfully last night on my live stream during its first "official" test was this:

Ascent guidance numbers:

Launch to 80km

Autostage on

Turn start 10km

Turn end 60km

Final path angle 5º

Turn Shape 60%

When MechJeb creates its Circularization node be sure to press R to activate RCS, it turns a little slow being probe powered.

As soon as its done circularizing press space to decouple the core lift stage, then press [ to switch over to it and press RETR GRAD on SASS, fire the engines to deorbit for clean space (except the nuclear fairings unfortunately)

Press ] to switch back to the main vessel before you get too far away.

Set Jool as your target in the map, open Maneuver Planner and press > 8 times to transfer to another planet. Create the node and timewarp to the node (I use kerbal alarm clock to do this at 10,000x from the launch pad)

Do your standard Jool burn, with course corrections along the way.

Upon arriving in Jool's SOI you can either brake at Jool or as I do with this build go directly to Laythe and brake there.

Using the aerobrake predictor capture yourself at Laythe in a Very elyptical orbit. Just enough to say your actually captured but not circularized.

Do your aerocapture then at your Laythe Apoapsis raise your periapsis up out of Laythe's atmosphere to stabalize it (not too high, we need it low for the next part)

Press PRO GRAD in SASS, then press the space bar to decouple the 4x FL-T800 fuel tanks. They have a little fuel remaining however its not needed. They have Retro Sepratrons installed so they will deorbit themselves and land on Laythe

Next you want to press the space bar once more to seperate all the satellites from eachother. Youll end up with 5 nearly identical crafts. the only difference is the parts of the decouplers that stick to them on seperation. Dont worry each of them has an RTG onboard as well as the solar panels, so you dont need to open the panels until you are ready to start scanning.

All of this has been done near Laythe's Apoapsis, so you are now starting to decent towards the surface again. In the map view look along your projected path for where the terminator line between Night and Day is, then create a maneuver node and play with it or use the Maneuver Node Editor to change your inclination to somewhere between 80-85º and have a new pariaps of between 180-230km.

As soon as this burn is complete make sure you right click on the probe core or MechJeb AR202 Case and rename the ship to save confusion later. All 5 of them will be named the same thing after decoupling.

From here its a simple matter of setting up encounters with the remaining moons. because of the orbit we left the remaining 4 in it only cost me 150m/s for each of the satellites to get out of Laythe's SOI and get up to a near encounter. I had to warp around Jool up to 4 times to get one of my encounters but your results may vary!

Dont forget that you'll need to have these all set up along the Day/Night Terminators of each of the moons. they are 99% solar powered and need to be pointed at properly at the star to get over 95% exposure in order to function properly without running out of power while scanning

And heres the .craft!

Jool in One

Key bindings before I forget:

0 - Opens ALL solar panels. don't try this until you have separated the 5 satellites from each other or they will extend into one another and may break

9 - Activate ALL Kethane Detectors. there are 8 on each satellite, enough to scan at 100x timwarp with 100% coverage. a 1000x timewarp capable satellite is much larger and cant Easily be done in this same fashion but I might consider it at a later date.

Edited by HoY

The Jool in One satellite launch system!

Contains MechJeb and Kethane parts only (with stock obviously)

I'm getting "not compatible with this version" when I try to load the craft... (I wonder if that's because I'm running a dev build of MJ?)

I'm getting "not compatible with this version" when I try to load the craft... (I wonder if that's because I'm running a dev build of MJ?)

The build of mechjeb shouldn't matter, odd I wonder why that happened :(

I assume your using ksp .20.2 and not .21 or .19 ? .20 craft files won't load in .19

I assume your using ksp .20.2 and not .21 or .19 ? .20 craft files won't load in .19

Most likely he is still on .20.1, I had this problem too and I simply went to modify the craft file to change the .1 to .2 and everything worked as usual.

Yes, I'm on 20.2.186

Most likely he is still on .20.1, I had this problem too and I simply went to modify the craft file to change the .1 to .2 and everything worked as usual.

The one I just downloaded has "version = 0.20.2", and oddly enough loads... did HoY change it?

Edited by DerekL1963

Haven't touched a thing, still the same one I uploaded yesterday. Possible the file was corrupted during download?

It's possible... I have been having that problem lately, so I did re-download it several times before posting. (Oddly enough, it's only .craft files I have that problem with.)

New debugger UI, work in progress:

lfbCrSr.png

I'm making a lot of miscellaneous improvements in preparation for 0.21, since I might have to release a hotfix anyway. Fair warning: I've fixed the center-of-mass issue on the heavy drill and generator parts, so those will probably break in craft files.

Quick request: can you make the KSC spot start have deposits so we can easily test our designs to make sure they are working before sending them out to space? Or what configuration files would I have to edit to make that happen?

New debugger UI, work in progress:

lfbCrSr.png

I'm making a lot of miscellaneous improvements in preparation for 0.21, since I might have to release a hotfix anyway. Fair warning: I've fixed the center-of-mass issue on the heavy drill and generator parts, so those will probably break in craft files.

Thanks Majiir, this is, in my opinion, one of the best mods for KSP (can't imagine playing without it now). Your hard work is VERY appreciated!

Yay, you fixed the debugger! Hey, I saw your pressure fed engine and immediately thought of something. That itself is a cool mod standalone, up in the caliber of things like RemoteTech and Deadly Reentry. I think that should be a standalone (that works with Kethane) rather than an integral part of kethane (if it is, I will be trying to figure out how to disable the pressure fed thing in the config, I don't want that level of realistic difficulty).

I do think it would be cool to have a pressure fed engines mod in use with both RemoteTech and Deadly Reentry (and FAR, talk about realism).

Quick request: can you make the KSC spot start have deposits so we can easily test our designs to make sure they are working before sending them out to space? Or what configuration files would I have to edit to make that happen?

You can use the debug menu to spawn a kethane deposit right under KSC.

Or you could do something harebrained like me and build a massive ship (with FPS destroying lag even with an NVidia GeForce graphics card and an Intel i7) that roams moons sending half of itself down to become a base and the other half a space station.

Oh I'm working on lots ;p completed very little however. My ideas far exceed my skill at modding thus far. I am playing with an idea to add another resources that powers a new drive system...but at this point its just a bunch of stuff on paper. I have to learn lots to get it all going, but I think I am making ok progress, as far as learning things goes, but a config can only tell ya so much about Unity set up.

heh....also been kinda distracted since kerbtown plugin release

Edited by KhaosCorp

Yeah same here. I'm more interested in learning to model now than actually play. Especially since we're losing the saves. Working in a 1-seater hover chair right now just for fun, and because its small and simple to learn with :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.