Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Hm, that's quite a shame. I really hope the devs will come up with something for that...

Sadly, don't hold your breath.

The reason that it is done the way it is, is that the physics engine already struggles somewhat to cope with the ships we users throw at it. You'll already see a drop in framerate and responsiveness when you approach another ship to dock and it unpacks it and starts to simulate that one as well as your focused one. Imagine if it unpacked and activated every single ship you have in filght. How slow would that be?

It might be possible to have a system where strictly passive information-gathering sensors could be active even on a ship on rails, but, honestly, it would be a real can of worms.

e.g. Oh, I just want to run a kethane scanner

but that uses energy

and now the batteries are out

but that's okay, there is a generator on board

but that's burning fuel

but that is changing the center of mass... of a rotating body that was -almost- skimming the atmosphere

and so much for the part being passive.

There would be absolutely loads that you could do if they could continue to simulate other ships. Imagine active station-keeping on keostationary sats, or MechJeb processing maneuver nodes for non-focussed ships. But until Unity is multi-threaded and 64bit, and you have 32GB of RAM and loads of CPU to throw at it, there's a reason why distant objects (2.5km+) are on rails. :(

I'm having a big problem with mining.

I'm using the latest release of Kethane. The grid that I'm in says that the deposit is centred at specific coordinates and I'm literally sitting directly on top of these coordinates. My drill is very low on my rover and attached directly to a Kethane tank. But when I extend the drill down into the ground, nothing happens - no fancy-butt particle effects and no kethane in my tanks. Could it be showing me the wrong coords for the deposit?

COMING SOON:

...actually, what's coming is going to look and work a lot better than this, but I'm excited about multi-generator support now working.

*Snip*

That looks fantastic. Really nice work. and if you say its going to look better than that, well then that i'll be stunning. i think you've outdone yourself.

Please post a screenshot (and/or .craft) of your ship, this will help enormously with suggesting a possible fix

here you go

mIXAYPo.png

this is the craft where the problem first came up

and the next one is a test ship on the launch pad

MP8dS0D.png

The KSP updater doesn't put anything into the Kethane folder. (If it did, they'd have a lot of explaining to do.)

The warning about a missing file is from KSP code. Kethane looks for the settings file, and if it's not there, it happily carries on, but KSP dumps a warning to the log anyway. After the first time not finding it, Kethane creates the settings file anyway.

In other words, I think all these issues and solutions are completely unrelated.

That's fine. All I know is what I saw on my computer, missing file causing an error loop requiring Alt F4 for shutdown. Regardless of the cause of the problem or how the solution worked the problem is solved. Mod now works on my system with no problems and I finished scanning the Mun last night.

COMING SOON:

...actually, what's coming is going to look and work a lot better than this, but I'm excited about multi-generator support now working.

Just checking, this makes it so the deposits are more spread out and contain less per section right? Gotta throw some stupid questions out early in the day.

I have a problem where i cant see the grid overlay, i can see it in the menu, and i can see it change size when i zoom in/out in the map but i cant see it at all.

I have got a scanner in orbit at 80km around the moon and i get the sound for the scanning operation but cant see the results anywhere?

I'm having a big problem with mining.

I'm using the latest release of Kethane. The grid that I'm in says that the deposit is centred at specific coordinates and I'm literally sitting directly on top of these coordinates. My drill is very low on my rover and attached directly to a Kethane tank. But when I extend the drill down into the ground, nothing happens - no fancy-butt particle effects and no kethane in my tanks. Could it be showing me the wrong coords for the deposit?

Do you get a grid overlay showing you where the deposit is or just a tiny map with coordinates? If the later you have an old version of Kethane, like .7.1 i think

I have the exact same problem. It's the newest version. I had grid overlay in Com center but not in map view during flight. It's only visible for a split second when I zoom out but it starts getting smaller and smaller until it disappears :/ Any help?

EDIT: Just noticed the grid is momentarily seen in micro-version when I pan the camera around in map view.

EDIT2: Also when cycklyng view in map with 'Tab' I get to Eeloo and it stops there... I can't focus view on my vessel any more :(

EDIT3: *sigh* Aaaaand just noticed that the center of the grid 'sphere' is not centred on the planet but on the vessel.

Edited by Serratus

I have the exact same problem. It's the newest version. I had grid overlay in Com center but not in map view during flight. It's only visible for a split second when I zoom out but it starts getting smaller and smaller until it disappears :/ Any help?

EDIT: Just noticed the grid is momentarily seen in micro-version when I pan the camera around in map view.

This is not a fault of Kethane it is most likely a fault of MJ2 if you are running it and here is the fix.

Try installing BloodyRain2k's patch. This fixed all the 0.21 issues that seem to be linked to mechjeb for me.

It works as advertised, case closed

I'm really frustrated with KSP at the moment because it feels like I can't achieve anything I set my mind to in it right now, particularly mining kethane. It may be that there are particular, fundamental things about rocket design or the physics of it that I have yet to grasp, I dunno. I thought maybe I'd post for help in the questions forum, but I don't have a specific question. "How do I suck less at this game?" isn't really specific, lol.

Hey guys, I've been messing around with the newest Kethane mod for a few days, but nothing seems to be working.

vsoupx.jpg

5mesrn.png

For some reason, the drills don't extract any Kethane, and I have it hooked up to both a container for kethane, a converter, and radial-mounted container as well (all connected by those yellow fuel transfer things, as you can see in the screenshot)

What am I doing wrong?

"How do I suck less at this game?" isn't really specific, lol.

There are some helpful threads in the HOW TO forum.

Also youtube youtube youtube..I honestly learned how to play KSP mostly from Scott Manley and Hoy posting tut vids on there.

@Metatron:

recently the little drill was updated to use current code (rather than outdated stuff), as a result the drill functions a bit different. From the testing Ive done the extendable part of the drill (the shaft) needs to be about 1/2 into the terrain.

Edited by KhaosCorp

@Metatron:

recently the little drill was updated to use current code (rather than outdated stuff), as a result the drill functions a bit different. From the testing Ive done the extendable part of the drill (the shaft) needs to be about 1/2 into the terrain.

Good to know, that would likely have tripped me up to, and I think it may have but I haven't done much mining or colonizing yet since .21.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.