Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

There are some helpful threads in the HOW TO forum.

Also youtube youtube youtube..I honestly learned how to play KSP mostly from Scott Manley and Hoy posting tut vids on there.

@Metatron:

recently the little drill was updated to use current code (rather than outdated stuff), as a result the drill functions a bit different. From the testing Ive done the extendable part of the drill (the shaft) needs to be about 1/2 into the terrain.

Ah yes, it is working now. Thank you!

Another shot, this time taking terrain into account. This deposit mostly avoids hills and mountains, but it still has a distinct shape that isn't completely influenced by terrain. Not every deposit avoids mountains; some appear only in mountains, although those are a bit more rare than I'd like. I'm using Ore in this shot to make the colors more obvious, but this generator is being built for Kethane.

ig7c1jjoUBdK2.png

Can you do like not in oceans? only in oceans? only/not in ice caps? That would provide some really amazing options for more resources.

Ocean detection is easy. Ice cap detection not so much, but you could have some kind of parameter that biases based on latitude.

I should mention this is all made possible by the multi-generator system I finished yesterday. Different resource generators can be defined for each resource. These generators are modules that are responsible for saving and loading resource information, placing resources and providing them to extractors. This allows the legacy system (where drilling anywhere in a polygon drains the whole polygon) to coexist with vastly different systems like the simplex+terrain generator I'm working on. The takeaway is that third-party mods can define their own resource generators. I'm going to attempt a new Kethane generator, but this is going to take a lot more braining to get the way I want.

Ocean detection is easy. Ice cap detection not so much, but you could have some kind of parameter that biases based on latitude.

I should mention this is all made possible by the multi-generator system I finished yesterday. Different resource generators can be defined for each resource. These generators are modules that are responsible for saving and loading resource information, placing resources and providing them to extractors. This allows the legacy system (where drilling anywhere in a polygon drains the whole polygon) to coexist with vastly different systems like the simplex+terrain generator I'm working on. The takeaway is that third-party mods can define their own resource generators. I'm going to attempt a new Kethane generator, but this is going to take a lot more braining to get the way I want.

Just curiosity question, wont change my amount of excitement for next update, are we going to have to re-scan everything now that all the deposits will be broken up?

Just curiosity question, wont change my amount of excitement for next update, are we going to have to re-scan everything now that all the deposits will be broken up?

If you leave your old save file in place, your old scans and deposits will remain. The new generator is only used for new saves (or if you manually reset the generator).

Same thing is happening to me. I had to rebuild my ksp area, but now no matter what I put on sat, "insufficient power" is what I get. I have tested just sitting on pad (not wasting time on launch to orbit) and still have this. Any ideas? many thanks in advance.

EDIT: Using 7.4 with KSP 0.20.? last prior to 0.21

EDIT: Also, my 'grid' never shows, even when asked for . ?????

A reload of 0.20.2, all mod's and making sure not to have the newest (for 0.21) and reloading 7.2 , 7.3 fixed this problem. back up and running.

some very strange corruption happened somewhere by some 'other' mod. my guess is the newest mj bit me...

I deeply enjoy the Kethane mod, it has brought a whole new meaning and use for space stations, and planetary bases.

However I find it somewhat difficult scanning for Kethane (and Ore) because I have to change my probes' orbit every time I go around. Why has it changed so it doesn't scan multiple rows? I thought if I placed the sensor higher up it would scan a larger area but I was wrong on that, so what do you suggest I do related to scanning planets for Kethane?

I deeply enjoy the Kethane mod, it has brought a whole new meaning and use for space stations, and planetary bases.

However I find it somewhat difficult scanning for Kethane (and Ore) because I have to change my probes' orbit every time I go around. Why has it changed so it doesn't scan multiple rows? I thought if I placed the sensor higher up it would scan a larger area but I was wrong on that, so what do you suggest I do related to scanning planets for Kethane?

Get into an orbit with a high inclination. As you orbit, the world will rotate under you.

Set orbit inclination to 90 deg. if You are using MJ. If You fly manually just go into the polar orbit. You should get that whole planet scanned in about 2h IRL. (Assuming You have one medium detector in orbit at 50x warp speed).

I have not tested this myself, but there might be something to the multiple detector thing...

They will not scan more than one row, but they will look at the same grid. So if you know the chatter effect (time warp too much and your detector skips grids), supposedly by having more than one detector you *might* (according to the interwebs) gain the ability to time warp faster (on good gaming machines) without experiencing the chatter effect.

I have not had time to test this myself and make no claim or warranty that this may or may not work. (But you can make some super cool looking detector ships)!

I have not tested this myself, but there might be something to the multiple detector thing...

They will not scan more than one row, but they will look at the same grid. So if you know the chatter effect (time warp too much and your detector skips grids), supposedly by having more than one detector you *might* (according to the interwebs) gain the ability to time warp faster (on good gaming machines) without experiencing the chatter effect.

I have not had time to test this myself and make no claim or warranty that this may or may not work. (But you can make some super cool looking detector ships)!

I've run one with two scanners and can confirm that it HELPS reduce that problem at 50x. Still misses spots at times but not so much.

I've run one with two scanners and can confirm that it HELPS reduce that problem at 50x. Still misses spots at times but not so much.

Best way i have found to do scanning is as follows:

1. Set up a polar (or almost polar) orbit.

2. Find the fastest warp you can scan at without missing any hexes.

3. Set the scanner at that warp whenever you have to go somewhere (work, sleep, errands, gym, w/e) and im sure it will be done when u get back (or done to the point where u can see major deposit areas at the least). Please note, this is assuming you cant afford to sit at the PC playing KSP literally all day but can afford to leave KSP running.

Sorry to be a problem child, but I've had issues every time I've tried to use Kethane :(

I desperately want to use it, but each time I've tried I've had stability issues. This time around:

- Occasionally all buttons for launch, etc. in the VAB lose color and none are clickable; requires a restart.

- No Kethane map with the scanner...it's there, and active, just no map and no tones. Plenty of electricity. 200km orbit.

- Occasional hangs and locks.

Only other mods are MechJeb 2 and Lazor - removing Kethane removes the issues noted above. I realize these are "circumstantial", but I'm open for some debugging help to figure out what's going sideways. Would really love to use the mod!

Sorry to be a problem child, but I've had issues every time I've tried to use Kethane :(

I desperately want to use it, but each time I've tried I've had stability issues. This time around:

- Occasionally all buttons for launch, etc. in the VAB lose color and none are clickable; requires a restart.

- No Kethane map with the scanner...it's there, and active, just no map and no tones. Plenty of electricity. 200km orbit.

- Occasional hangs and locks.

Only other mods are MechJeb 2 and Lazor - removing Kethane removes the issues noted above. I realize these are "circumstantial", but I'm open for some debugging help to figure out what's going sideways. Would really love to use the mod!

Here is the fix for that. Apparently it's some sort of conflict with MJ2

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-7-4-Find-it-mine-it-burn-it%21-Compatible-with-KSP-0-21?p=550735&viewfull=1#post550735

It sounds like you've installed it incorrectly or are using the wrong version.

It's the latest version, and there doesn't seem to be anything unique about the install - I think I can copy a directory :)

I'm setting up a clean install and I'll work through it.

Edited by Kosmic Debris

It's the latest version, and there doesn't seem to be anything unique about the install - I think I can copy a directory :)

I'm setting up a clean install and I'll work through it.

So my simple findings were:

- Fresh load of KSP with current Kethane version - worked perfectly.

- Loading MJ, no issues

- Loading Lazor, no issues

but...loading MJ, then Lazor and THEN Kethane; same issues I had before. So there's something there, but likely an ugly one to debug and I suspect not a scenario that's interesting given the prior "guidance" of wrong download/can't copy a directory. No worries, always other stuff to do in KSP :)

So my simple findings were:

- Fresh load of KSP with current Kethane version - worked perfectly.

- Loading MJ, no issues

- Loading Lazor, no issues

but...loading MJ, then Lazor and THEN Kethane; same issues I had before. So there's something there, but likely an ugly one to debug and I suspect not a scenario that's interesting given the prior "guidance" of wrong download/can't copy a directory. No worries, always other stuff to do in KSP :)

Incorrect installation is a shockingly common issue, so don't take it personally.

I'm not sure what you mean by the ordering. Do you mean changing the directory names so they load in a different order, or installing in a different order?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.