Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Just to be clear here, in this context ModuleManager is a DLL written by Ialdaboth and maintained by Sarbian which allows you to use a simple configuration file to modify the part definitions of anything in your game without having to hand-edit the parts, so the tweaks can safely persist across installations of updates to the mods that you are tweaking. It also means that several mods can make changed that they wish to, to stock parts for example, without there being any clashes or over-writes to the parts.

It is NOT an application that manages what mods you have installed, which I believe is what you are referring to.

You are absolutely right, and that is good to hear. I'll look into this other modulemanager and see how it works. Thanks for the info that makes me feel a whole lot better about this.

I may eventually, but don't hold your breath. I encourage people to post MM configs. I'm working on a number of things for KSP and I'm relatively busy otherwise, so career mode support is a low priority. (Why? Career mode has no endgame. Mods are all about endgame.)

If I can get to working on Kethane in the next few days, my first priority will be solving the performance issues with the map screen.

A completely reasonable stance, though I don't understand what you mean in the parenthetical. Are you saying modded parts have no place in the tech tree? The idea of unlocking modded parts is an attractive one to me, at least as attractive as the idea of unlocking the vanilla parts.

A completely reasonable stance, though I don't understand what you mean in the parenthetical. Are you saying modded parts have no place in the tech tree? The idea of unlocking modded parts is an attractive one to me, at least as attractive as the idea of unlocking the vanilla parts.

It's not attractive from a modding standpoint. Obviously, it's fun to unlock mods if you're playing career mode. At some point I'll do a proper writeup on career mode and how Kethane and KAS fit into it, so be looking for that. I think both can have a much larger role than simply "getting unlocked" but it's substantially more work to get them there than adding parts to nodes. (KospY might prefer I just throw KAS into nodes, and if that's the case, I certainly will. In this instance I'm applying a personal modding bias, preferring quality and richness over speed or breadth.)

It's not attractive from a modding standpoint. Obviously, it's fun to unlock mods if you're playing career mode. At some point I'll do a proper writeup on career mode and how Kethane and KAS fit into it, so be looking for that. I think both can have a much larger role than simply "getting unlocked" but it's substantially more work to get them there than adding parts to nodes. (KospY might prefer I just throw KAS into nodes, and if that's the case, I certainly will. In this instance I'm applying a personal modding bias, preferring quality and richness over speed or breadth.)

Gotcha! I was only considering this from a player's perspective. Thanks for explaining! Kethane is one of the more ambitious (and fun!) mods out there. Thank you for your work on it.

Now I will go back to getting my career mode to the point where I actually need the stuff :)

preferring quality and richness over speed or breadth.

and for that, we love you....

There's one thing the Kethane drills are no good at all for. They don't work as emergency brakes! :wink: I tested that once on Minmus with a rover rolling downhill, deployed the drill and it just sliced along like the ground wasn't there.

There's one thing the Kethane drills are no good at all for. They don't work as emergency brakes! :wink: I tested that once on Minmus with a rover rolling downhill, deployed the drill and it just sliced along like the ground wasn't there.

well lets see you stab a rod into the ground trying to stop a transport truck, wont work.

I'm having troubles getting this mod to work.

Every time i try the run the game with it installed, I get to "Squad/Spaces/PodCockpit/model" and the game stops loading, even the loading background eventually goes away so it's just black.

I have got it installed correctly, the kethane folder was extracted from the zip into '\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\'.

And it is only kethane (and possibly KAS) that does this, because I actually made a full clean install & ran the game to see it it worked (it did) then installed kethane & am getting this problem.

I never had this problem with 7.7 & 0.21

Hey guys, since updating to Kethane 0.8 and KSP 0.22, I am not able to see the geodesic grid or hear my scanners beeping. I am also using the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod and MechJeb in addition to a couple of parts packs. Has anyone else had this issue? Perhaps by stroke of luck someone has already figured it out :D I'll continue testing in the meantime and see if I can figure out why :(

Maybe; I've run into an odd issue where the little green Kethane window in the map view turns into a couple of green bars, and the kethane map view goes away. I'm not completely sure of what's causing this, but I have observed that once the problem occurs, it's baked into the mod folder - affecting all saves, even new ones; I can remove all other mods but Kethane, and start a new game, and the problem persists. If, however, I leave all mods in place and reinstall the Kethane mod fresh, all saves are fixed.

I doubt it's related to a parts pack - if whatever is happening is causing Kethane to bork its save mechanism, it'd almost have to be a plugin. (Almost. Computers are ornery.) Likewise, I doubt that it's MechJeb; too many people use it, so you wouldn't be the first report I've seen of the problem.

That said, a list of active mods for comparison purposes:

Kethane (of course)

Protractor

MechJeb

Engineer Redux

KSP Interstellar

Assorted bits from NovaPunch 2.03a

At the moment, I'm suspicious that the problem is somewhere between KSP Interstellar and Kethane, as it's the mod I've just begun fiddling with (lots of shinies!) and there were log messages from it in the ksp log fairly close to where Kethane freaked out. That said, I haven't yet thrown together a clean install with just those two mods to see if I can replicate, so I'm not sure if that's really where the problem is, yet.

My untrusting and suspicious mind informs me that both KSP Interstellar and Extraplanetary Launchpads make use of Kethane, and were presumably put together to work against the previous 0.7 release(s) of Kethane, and may still work against 0.7.x but not yet against 0.8....something else to check on, I suppose.

EDIT!

Quick attempt at replication did not result in replication. Whatever it is, it's not going to happen just from loading up those two mods, and a few minutes of goofing around. Will watch for it happening, again, and try to remember to save the log files, next time. :confused:

Edited by Kellis
More Info

Majir, have you considered using science collection mechanic as an alternate way of exploring. For example - pull all science possible to collect per biome, and based on % of collected data - reveal the corresponding amount.

I figured it would flip it or rip the drill off. What I haven't tried is driving a rover around with the drills deployed. Most likely nothing out of the ordinary would happen.

What is nice is the drills radially attach very firmly to Kethane tanks. On one of my rovers I have rocket stacks coupled to the bottom of two of the large drills, alongside the main stack coupled to the bottom of the Kethane tank. No struts or other attachments from the drills to the tank.

Edited by Galane

Maybe; I've run into an odd issue where the little green Kethane window in the map view turns into a couple of green bars, and the kethane map view goes away. I'm not completely sure of what's causing this, but I have observed that once the problem occurs, it's baked into the mod folder - affecting all saves, even new ones; I can remove all other mods but Kethane, and start a new game, and the problem persists. If, however, I leave all mods in place and reinstall the Kethane mod fresh, all saves are fixed.

I doubt it's related to a parts pack - if whatever is happening is causing Kethane to bork its save mechanism, it'd almost have to be a plugin. (Almost. Computers are ornery.) Likewise, I doubt that it's MechJeb; too many people use it, so you wouldn't be the first report I've seen of the problem.

That said, a list of active mods for comparison purposes:

Kethane (of course)

Protractor

MechJeb

Engineer Redux

KSP Interstellar

Assorted bits from NovaPunch 2.03a

At the moment, I'm suspicious that the problem is somewhere between KSP Interstellar and Kethane, as it's the mod I've just begun fiddling with (lots of shinies!) and there were log messages from it in the ksp log fairly close to where Kethane freaked out. That said, I haven't yet thrown together a clean install with just those two mods to see if I can replicate, so I'm not sure if that's really where the problem is, yet.

My untrusting and suspicious mind informs me that both KSP Interstellar and Extraplanetary Launchpads make use of Kethane, and were presumably put together to work against the previous 0.7 release(s) of Kethane, and may still work against 0.7.x but not yet against 0.8....something else to check on, I suppose.

EDIT!

Quick attempt at replication did not result in replication. Whatever it is, it's not going to happen just from loading up those two mods, and a few minutes of goofing around. Will watch for it happening, again, and try to remember to save the log files, next time. :confused:

I have resolved my present issues by going back to Kethane 0.7.7 and EPL 3.2. Had a momentary bug which made me unable to return to the space center which has not recurred. My map is back, my scanners work and everything appears to be functional with 0.22. Give it a go with the previous release of Kethane and see? Lots of luck :)

You may post config edits for tech tree integration in the form of a ModuleManager config file. Please do not post entire modified configs. Cheers.

Well crap, I have no idea how to make a config file for modulemanager, so I guess ill go read up on how to do that and be back with the edit. Heres hoping it doesnt take as long as it took to config all the part files. Thanx for the awesome mod.

Why was the KE-X130 drill's category set to -1 so it couldn't be added to new craft, without editing its cfg to Utility?

I tried to find the post in this thread with the announcement of Kethane 0.8 but the search only returns threads, not individual posts. Not much help when there's 322 pages in the thread. Needle, meet haystack.

Why was the KE-X130 drill's category set to -1 so it couldn't be added to new craft, without editing its cfg to Utility?

I tried to find the post in this thread with the announcement of Kethane 0.8 but the search only returns threads, not individual posts. Not much help when there's 322 pages in the thread. Needle, meet haystack.

The latest release notes are always linked in the first post. There are actually two KE-X130 part definitions now. One has a new model, and the old one is there for craft compatibility but isn't available in the VAB. It will eventually be removed completely.

Heres my config file that adds Kethane to the tech tree, feel free to modify it any way you want, its probably not too balanced right now, haven't had time to playtest it yet.

All credit of course goes to the Kethane mod creators and the creator of the ModuleManager plugin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm3jkzfoyhfhk9c/Kethane%2BTechTree.zip

Heres my config file that adds Kethane to the tech tree, feel free to modify it any way you want, its probably not too balanced right now, haven't had time to playtest it yet.

All credit of course goes to the Kethane mod creators and the creator of the ModuleManager plugin.

Thanks! Your work is appreciated. I stuffed all the KAS stuff into node 0 but now I can slowly achieve Kethane stuff as I go!

Thanks! Your work is appreciated. I stuffed all the KAS stuff into node 0 but now I can slowly achieve Kethane stuff as I go!

I did KAS as well but I didn't use modulemanager, and that is understandably frowned apon, so I didn't post it. Plus the progression is even more messed up than my Kethane take, ill work on one tomorrow and see if I can post it in the KAS thread.

I hope you enjoy it, feel free to give me your opinion on the tech placement.

I did KAS as well but I didn't use modulemanager, and that is understandably frowned apon, so I didn't post it. Plus the progression is even more messed up than my Kethane take, ill work on one tomorrow and see if I can post it in the KAS thread.

I hope you enjoy it, feel free to give me your opinion on the tech placement.

I doubt I'll be able to give you any feedback that'll be timely enough to matter. I'm going through the tech tree quite slowly for my YouTube series. I most recently unlocked struts. I'm unlocking roughly a node every other day and at that rate, I'll not have the whole tree unlocked for quite some time.

However if I notice anything I'll let you know.

sorry if this is the wrong place for this. but I would like to ask if I could have a function added to it. one that would allow a detector to only see that there is a posability of this resorse here And not identify how much. Then another detecter can get a better reading (the way it is now). thank you for your time and patience

Edited by devanmedrow

I test all my Kethane components on the launchpad before I go about carrying them to the Mun. My heavy drill keeps deploying and retracting without any input. I haven't used this drill before, is this supposed to happen. If not how do I fix it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.