Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

geh messing around with the values more my planet overlay for kethane stoped working lol.

Quick fix for Debug Loss of Kethane Menu.

I don't know if anyone else has posted this but If your running the Kethane mod in the Debug mod sometimes the toolbar becomes just a green bar that is unmovable. While this simple thing will fix it when it happens it will not remove the problem and it will come back. Just exit the game and go to the Kethane folder and open the settings.cfg. Change ShowOverlay = False to ShowOverlay = True. Save and restart the game and you will have your menu back. It may disappear later though. Make sure you exit the game before editing or it will revert back to False.

well what im looking for is the equation that kethane uses to calculate how much gonna be in a deposit.

to me so far looks like its radius x vertices x quanity= deposit ammount.

The quantity of methane in the deposit is randomly chosen between MinQuantity and MaxQuantity. Specifically,

var initialQuantity = random.Range(resource.MinQuantity, resource.MaxQuantity);

The shape of the deposit is more complex, but still a heavily randomized algorithm. A center location is randomly chosen on the body. A random number of vertices is chosen, between MinVertices and MaxVertices. The vertices are evenly distributed in a circle around the center location. A max polygon radius is randomly chosen between MinRadius and MaxRadius (think of the polygon as inscribing a circle of the random radius). Each vertex is then placed a distance from the center location, randomly chosen between RadiusVariance*max_radius and max_radius. Finally, the randomly shaped polygon is checked to see if it actually contains the center of any of the surface cells. If not, the whole process is tried again, up to NumberOfTries times.

For Kethane, this is all in the source code in LegacyResourceGeneartor.cs, lines 85-98 and lines 147-165.

The quantity of methane in the deposit is randomly chosen between MinQuantity and MaxQuantity. Specifically,
var initialQuantity = random.Range(resource.MinQuantity, resource.MaxQuantity);

The shape of the deposit is more complex, but still a heavily randomized algorithm. A center location is randomly chosen on the body. A random number of vertices is chosen, between MinVertices and MaxVertices. The vertices are evenly distributed in a circle around the center location. A max polygon radius is randomly chosen between MinRadius and MaxRadius (think of the polygon as inscribing a circle of the random radius). Each vertex is then placed a distance from the center location, randomly chosen between RadiusVariance*max_radius and max_radius. Finally, the randomly shaped polygon is checked to see if it actually contains the center of any of the surface cells. If not, the whole process is tried again, up to NumberOfTries times.

For Kethane, this is all in the source code in LegacyResourceGeneartor.cs, lines 85-98 and lines 147-165.

then how when i set the min max at 1000 and 10000 do i get a deposit of 211000. it has to be chosing a number in the min/max then doing a eqation to decide how much is in it.

I have a question about deposit placing, it there a way to "create" a Kethane deposit at specific coordinates on a celestial body? Currently i'm building a large Kethane refinery on Minmus, on a spot choosed before scanning Minmus for Kethane, dumb, I know :wink:. Can I move a deposit to my station and not move the station to a deposit, like it was possible with the Debugger?

there is still a debugger in the lastest version? I thought it's no more an available part?!

Well, the answer is simple, you just have to read the version history:

Debugging functions are now available by setting Debug = True in the settings file. Debug options will appear in the resource selector

window in the scan map. The debugger part is no longer necessary (and now has no function).

@ Shalidor

thanks for the hint anyway!

So I read a couple of posts here that didn't quite answer my question...so I'll ask here.

I have a plane that drops off a "Gas Station" (Kethane tank, converter, solar power and a drill...note the lack of LF or OX tanks...) with a control system (probe core) and a KAS winch. Now, I can "dock" the two craft together (once I've landed) and transfer the one common resource they have between them-power-no problem. However, when I go to convert some LF, no dice. So-is that because there's no LF tank on the gas station, and because KAS is being sassy it won't transfer through the winch? do I need to have a LF tank on my gas station, then transfer it over in chunks? I'm trying to make this thing as small as possible...and I thought that because they're "docked" they share tanks and such (btw I've checked, the port I've plugged into on the ship allows crossfeed).

Any ideas braintrust? Thank you in advance.

note the lack of LF or OX tanks

You're screwed.

Think of Kethane converters as rockets. You must attach fuel tanks to the converters as if they were rockets using that fuel to run. You built a rocket ship with fuel tanks, but with no fuel tanks connected to the rockets so they won't run.

Redesign your craft with at least one fuel tank connected directly to the converter on the stack, or with yellow lines (placed backwards to what you'd think. Remember, you need to think of the converter as a rocket so the arrows should point at the converter, not the fuel tanks). Once you have at least one of those you can start using TAC fuel balancer or Goodspeed, or simply right clicking on the fuel tanks to manually transfer the fuel. However you NEED a tank connected to the converter or no dice.

Edited by 5thHorseman

That cheeses me off to such an extent that-if I were the type to use bad language, I'd be employing it bitterly and repeatedly.

So I can't fake fuel tanks using KAS huh. Crumb. Good thing I've only rolled out 3 of my planet-wide "Gas Stations". They could probably do with an upgrade anyway...

EDIT: I'm deploying a Kethane network as a test for an extraplanetary one, but also as something to do in between launches (I'm doing a week between each). This way I can bring less fuel in-atmo and more cargo :D

Edited by Fortunateson1969

That cheeses me off to such an extent that-if I were the type to use bad language, I'd be employing it bitterly and repeatedly.

So I can't fake fuel tanks using KAS huh. Crumb. Good thing I've only rolled out 3 of my planet-wide "Gas Stations". They could probably do with an upgrade anyway...

EDIT: I'm deploying a Kethane network as a test for an extraplanetary one, but also as something to do in between launches (I'm doing a week between each). This way I can bring less fuel in-atmo and more cargo :D

A) Test everything on the launch pad.

B) Don't feel bad. I have a multi-part series in my Let's Play devoted to my failing to get Kethane working. But now I'm guzzling up those deposits like a pro.

A) Test everything on the launch pad.

Without futzin' with the config file or turning on debug I can't get kethane on the launch pad. It's no big deal-honestly it gives me more time to waste between launches and an opportunity to perfect a (surprisingly stable and good considering my nega degree in Aerospace Engineering) delivery aircraft. Perhaps in the interim I'll fly up to my comm satellite and figure out why it's suddenly spawned 20 copies of itself in a horrifying, Lovecraftian-esque Hydra affair...but yet I can still get coverage and decent reception on my Satellite TV. (And removing any of the 20 copies...seriously it's twenty...causes my entire RemoteTech network to go down. Very mysterious. I suspect the Elder Gods.)

Anyway-in an attempt to build the gas stations light I used little spindly legs and underestimated how heavy the drill was and now the three I've deployed have the tendency to lean/fall over when coming out of time compression. Which isn't great.

Thanks Horseman!

Without futzin' with the config file or turning on debug I can't get kethane on the launch pad.

Not sure which config file you were thinking of futzing with, but it should be noted that there's a really easy fix for this problem that doesn't involved messing with the tanks' configs. Edit Kethane/Resources/Kethane.cfg, and in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION, just add "isTweakable = true". From that point forward, all kethane tanks work as normal, start empty as normal, but you can right-click and put some kethane in while building things in the VAB (and why not? You have limitless resources in the VAB normally, no reason why kethane should be any more limited than liquid fuel or monopropellant in this respect).

Without futzin' with the config file or turning on debug I can't get kethane on the launch pad.

I use the Uniconstructor (or whatever it's called) for one purpose: testing my stuff in a separate sandbox save game. Grind up a Kerbal, make sure you can convert Kethane, and then if it works replace the grinder with a drill and go back to your career game knowing it'll work.

Also, I thought you could tweak in Kethane into tanks now? I haven't tried it but I thought you could. If not, you should be able to :)

Though maybe I'm not the best one to listen to regarding testing. I just filled up my delivery ship and found out my TWR on Mun was about 0.750. All the tanks (ship and mining rig) were full, so I sat there burning the engines until I'd burned enough fuel to lift off. I think I may be redesigning that guy in the near future :D

EDIT

Edit Kethane/Resources/Kethane.cfg, and in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION, just add "isTweakable = true"

Aha! Thanks Gaius. So it's not tweakable by default but you can add it. Maybe I'll add it to my modulemanager configs directory so when I update Kethane it'll remain tweakable.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Yeah, it's not tweakable by default, for some reason. Seems like an oversight to me. Maybe it's intentional... but why? So you can't launch full kethane tanks, bypassing mining? The whole point of mining kethane is to prevent the need to ship fuel from Kerbin.

Not sure which config file you were thinking of futzing with, but it should be noted that there's a really easy fix for this problem that doesn't involved messing with the tanks' configs. Edit Kethane/Resources/Kethane.cfg, and in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION, just add "isTweakable = true". From that point forward, all kethane tanks work as normal, start empty as normal, but you can right-click and put some kethane in while building things in the VAB (and why not? You have limitless resources in the VAB normally, no reason why kethane should be any more limited than liquid fuel or monopropellant in this respect).

Nice I did that, but when using the kethane jet engine going out of the atmosphere it flames out and never recovers, the kintake air never moves until this happens goes from full to 0 flame out. any ideas on how to fix? I was thinking changing the flow mode from no_flow to all_flow? just a guess thats why im asking.

Is there any way to add new fuel types to convert in Kethane mod? I need to refuel a ship that uses hydrogengas from near future mod. My space station has a lot of kethane, but no way to convert it. I looked in the part cfg and copyed the xeon module then changed it to hydrogengas but it won't show up in the gui.

Is there any way to add new fuel types to convert in Kethane mod? I need to refuel a ship that uses hydrogengas from near future mod. My space station has a lot of kethane, but no way to convert it. I looked in the part cfg and copyed the xeon module then changed it to hydrogengas but it won't show up in the gui.

You could add this to the cfg

MODULE

{

name = ModuleGenerator

requiresAllInputs = true

activateGUIName = Activate HydrogenGas Generator

shutdownGUIName = Deactivate HydrogenGas Generator

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 6

}

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = Kethane

rate = 2.2

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = HydrogenGas

rate = 1.50

}

}

You could add this to the cfg

MODULE

{

name = ModuleGenerator

requiresAllInputs = true

activateGUIName = Activate HydrogenGas Generator

shutdownGUIName = Deactivate HydrogenGas Generator

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 6

}

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = Kethane

rate = 2.2

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = HydrogenGas

rate = 1.50

}

}

Still not showing up in the gui. Thanks for the suggestion though. I currently looking in the other files for the gui code, but I'm haveing problems reading some of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.