Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Question: Can a Pipe End Point from the KAS mod be attached to the drill. So that kethane can flow directly from the drill to a storage holder? Or does that drill need at least one tank attached to it?

I am making a mobile drilling rig.

Question: Can a Pipe End Point from the KAS mod be attached to the drill. So that kethane can flow directly from the drill to a storage holder? Or does that drill need at least one tank attached to it?

I am making a mobile drilling rig.

Kethane flows like monopropellant. It doesn't need a connection as long as it's on the same vessel.

The scan data are preserved in the persistent.sfs file in your Saves/<name of current started game> folder. I presume you can copy that part for safe keeping for future use. ;-)

Yes but scan mask is represented by 1.708 characters, if everything is empty non scanned its all AAAAAAAA..., if some parts are scanned it adds various characters of no pattern, in an other forum post it was said that full stops (.) represent fully scanned areas, now when i fill it with that my grid looks unscanned, when i exit the game and come back to persistant file its all replaced by A's again, perhaps you know how should i edit it?

Yes but scan mask is represented by 1.708 characters, if everything is empty non scanned its all AAAAAAAA..., if some parts are scanned it adds various characters of no pattern, in an other forum post it was said that full stops (.) represent fully scanned areas, now when i fill it with that my grid looks unscanned, when i exit the game and come back to persistant file its all replaced by A's again, perhaps you know how should i edit it?

Hmm, I said I presume, I haven't tried it myself yet. My next try would be to copy and include the section GeneratorData as well because that could be the key to the characters used in the scanned section. If that doesn't help either I would start looking for a flag set somewhere that indicates scanning of a certain planet has started.

Greets,

Jan

Kethane flows like monopropellant. It doesn't need a connection as long as it's on the same vessel.

does the Pipe End Point from the KAS mod count as making the target and the source on vessel?

edit:I HAVE DONE IT, it was fairly hard but you need to put exacly 1.708 dots in place of 1.708 characters (A's if not scanned) but you shouldnt miss any space or move any other character in the file, just replace every character with same number of dots and nothing should move from their place, other planets lines can guide you, if you do it false kethane will be resetted and your current number of scan will be lost, thats why you take a backup. remember to exacly replace it

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

here is exacly 1.708 dots

also, i have not testd editing deposit amounts and seeds therefore not aware of their consuquence

and i also dont know why the dots seem spaced in groups, just delete the spaces and replace

Edited by TheReaper

More open Kethane API sounds great :)

I'm still hoping someone will create a "Kaurum" mod to mine a valuable resource for the sole purpose of getting it back to Kerbin and selling it, since with the upcoming budget I'll certainly need some extra money to pay for my RT grids and LS resupply missions :wink:

More open Kethane API sounds great :)

I'm still hoping someone will create a "Kaurum" mod to mine a valuable resource for the sole purpose of getting it back to Kerbin and selling it, since with the upcoming budget I'll certainly need some extra money to pay for my RT grids and LS resupply missions :wink:

I'm doing that with my upcoming mod. Though it will only be the secondary way of using the resource.. More info, when the mod is closer to a release, and it will ofc be in its own thread, rather than highjacking this :)

If you get money for vessel recovery, build stuff off planet with EL, send it to Kerbin, and recover.

edit:I HAVE DONE IT, it was fairly hard but you need to put exacly 1.708 dots in place of 1.708 characters (A's if not scanned) but you shouldnt miss any space or move any other character in the file, just replace every character with same number of dots...

[dots snipped]

here is exacly 1.708 dots

also, i have not testd editing deposit amounts and seeds therefore not aware of their consuquence

and i also dont know why the dots seem spaced in groups, just delete the spaces and replace

Interesting find, but wouldn't this mean kethane deposits are everywhere all over the planet, or doesn't a dot represent kethane?

I'm still puzzled about why all those random characters are there in a working scanned tag entry that does show some deposits in the game and are in the original persistent.sfs to be honest. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

I'm doing that with my upcoming mod. Though it will only be the secondary way of using the resource.. More info, when the mod is closer to a release, and it will ofc be in its own thread, rather than highjacking this :)

Looking forward to it!

If you get money for vessel recovery, build stuff off planet with EL, send it to Kerbin, and recover.

Hmm... I think that the EL mod is still a bit unfinished. Nice idea and all, but it still needs some work before I'll use it.

Plus, building crafts in space only to recycle them? No. Building them to carry home some useful stuff? Much more likely.

Interesting find, but wouldn't this mean kethane deposits are everywhere all over the planet, or doesn't a dot represent kethane?

I'm still puzzled about why all those random characters are there in a working scanned tag entry that does show some deposits in the game and are in the original persistent.sfs to be honest. ;-)

random characters represent the relations (how disclosed they are or their positions with respect to others arraund) betwen scanned and unscanned areas. a dot represents a scanned area, not nessecearly a kethane deposit or an empty , dot means scanned, no relation to deposit or empty area, the actual map of kethane is represented by "seed" i dont know how on this or how it decides the number of deposits,but it randomly generates a seed for a planet and seed is how the map is formed

So a dot is just a flag for scanned or not scanned areas, that's good to know. For knowing the relation to a 'seed' you'll probably have to dive in the source code to find out how, if that's publicly available of course. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

Hmm... I think that the EL mod is still a bit unfinished. Nice idea and all, but it still needs some work before I'll use it.

You could try saying what you have in mind (preferably in the EL thread, or even the tracker. It's kind of difficult for me to address anything without knowing what to address.

So a dot is just a flag for scanned or not scanned areas, that's good to know. For knowing the relation to a 'seed' you'll probably have to dive in the source code to find out how, if that's publicly available of course. ;-)

dot is only for scanned areas :) i think i dont need to play with seed thhough, even laythe has some hexagons over its beatuifull islands. you should try it, abilty to mine kethane or create permanent re fueling stations everywhere, anyhow thank you for your help,

on a side note, i hope future updates bring a new model of kintake engines, really unreiable, sudden drop to 0 no slow decreasement in kintake makes it unpredictiable also engines doesnt start back on even when you fall down.

I know it's not directly your problem Majiir, but in case someone contacts you about the problem:

I had issue with SCANSat 0.6 and Kethane 0.8.6: many exceptions + non functional scanner. technogeeky already released an Update to the SCANSat 0.7 dev build which fixed the issue.

However, if others are still on the official 0.6 stable release they may suffer from the same problem when upgrading Kethane. Solution => use latest SCANSat 0.7 build.

• Enabled toggling of converters, detectors, extractors and generators from EVA. Thanks oobayly for the pull request.

Thank you!! I painfully found out that it wasn't currently possible when I tried to send a manned mission to shut down a drill that had drained the electricity of the probe that it was attached to meaning that it could not return and bring back the kethane.

ModStatistics ought to be disabled by default unless the user specifically gives permission for data to be collected, something similar to how squad has a popup requesting to collect some anonymous data when you first launch a fresh copy of KSP. it should not be enabled by default and the way to disable it should not involve going through forum threads to figure things out and editing files etc. this is an invasion of privacy, I won't be using kethane until this is sorted out. peace and love.

ModStatistics ought to be disabled by default unless the user specifically gives permission for data to be collected, something similar to how squad has a popup requesting to collect some anonymous data when you first launch a fresh copy of KSP. it should not be enabled by default and the way to disable it should not involve going through forum threads to figure things out and editing files etc. this is an invasion of privacy, I won't be using kethane until this is sorted out. peace and love.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I went and uninstalled Kethane and KAS (since Majiir is the "plugin maintainer" for that mod as well). It should be opt-in, and the option to enable/disable should be readily accessible and not buried in the code somewhere.

Edited by Unto the Cruel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.