Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Anyone else got the issue where the grid doesn't show on the map until you zoom, and then it shows around your ship and very briefly? The map is really slow and unresponsive as well, and when you move it around your get very bouncy movement.

He might be one of those "anti-'manned space exploration'" types. Or maybe he runs a life support mod.

The latter, actually. TAC makes it impractical to use Kerbals for mining.

Can you provide a screenshot with all crafts connected in a working mining process, please?

It is Kerbal-free, but does this also allow automatic kethane conversion into docked (via KAS+mouse) fuel tanks?

thanks in advance.

I don't have a shot of all of them connected right now, but I do have this one of the mouse being released.

auto_mining.jpg

It's not really hard to understand how it works: the mouse is considered a separate craft when undocked from KAS, and part of the miner when docked via KAS. But even undocked, the mouse is still attached to the miner because KAS does not just let go of its cable when you do that.

The conversion process isn't fully automatic by default, unfortunately: you still have to transfer fuel out of the side tanks and into the tanker. You don't need any on-board monopropellant or xenon tanks for the miner, however; those will automatically fill. I understand that if you use the fuel balancer mod, you can have the game do the regular fuel transfer for you.

I tried a new method to make my ramscoops, but the game crashes when I try to fly the vessel.

Here's the part code;

MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceIntake
resourceName = Hydrogen
checkForOxygen = false
area = 0.01
intakeSpeed = 1
intakeTransformName = intake
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Hydrogen
amount = 5
maxAmount = 5
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
HeatProduction = 0
InputRates
{
Hydrogen = 5
}
OutputRatios
{
Kethane = 1
}
}

fCpgxTE.jpg better:er version of the kerbal-less KAS system, MJ2's docking autopilot docks just fine in gravity, looks kinda spooky, the craft hovers on RCS in straight lines same as in space, looks like someone is moving it with a boom and fishing line trying to fake levitation.

That's actually a genius idea for orbital docking too... instead of trying to get two giant craft to perfectly align. Might go horribly wrong though as they proceed along their slightly different orbital paths, but if you get it docked you can probably just reel it in ...

Uh, no, just reeling it in does NOT work. That isn't to say that it can't be done (it can), but let's just say that docking two giant ships is much easier.

With due care, winches can be used to keep two ships from drifting apart, and for the most part they will want to stay apart.

It's not really hard to understand how it works: the mouse is considered a separate craft when undocked from KAS, and part of the miner when docked via KAS. But even undocked, the mouse is still attached to the miner because KAS does not just let go of its cable when you do that.

The conversion process isn't fully automatic by default, unfortunately: you still have to transfer fuel out of the side tanks and into the tanker. You don't need any on-board monopropellant or xenon tanks for the miner, however; those will automatically fill. I understand that if you use the fuel balancer mod, you can have the game do the regular fuel transfer for you.

I asked because it was not obvious (for me) if your solution also provided automatic fuel transfer or not. For me, there would be only two reasons for a Kerbal-less solution: Fully automated processes or life support, now I know your reason was the latter :)

I already tested TAC fuel balancer. It works great while you focus your particular craft. The problem is, that the mod doesn't save the transfer settings when you switch to an other vessel.

Edited by Inchoately

Uh, no, just reeling it in does NOT work. That isn't to say that it can't be done (it can), but let's just say that docking two giant ships is much easier.

With due care, winches can be used to keep two ships from drifting apart, and for the most part they will want to stay apart.

I beg to differ. Reeling in works perfectly.

Now, stopping the other ship from smashing into you... that's the tricky part.

Unfortunately, due to how Kethane converters work, there is no fully automated solution short of making a MUCH bigger attached rover with the converter on it, and making sure it docks with the fuel tug's main tank so that it doesn't have to deal with the problem of having no fuel tanks connected. And even there, any side tanks on the fuel tug won't get filled.

I beg to differ. Reeling in works perfectly.

Now, stopping the other ship from smashing into you... that's the tricky part.

For certain values of "works" ;) As I said, I was able to dock via reeling in, but it takes extreme care. Docking normally is much easier, though indeed KAS is great for a quick resource transfer.

Avast is garbage and is well known for giving false hits. Decent virus protection is not that expensive at all and well worth the investment. I have been using TrendMicro for going on 8 years now and never had a problem with it, great protection, and its $50 a year for 3 machines.

Using a mac with latest versions of Kethane and KSP. Often when drilling into the surface of a planet/moon, I lose the ability to tell the drill to stop. Right clicking only tells me the status of the drill, and gives me no other option. At the same time, (while it is still drilling) no kethane is being deposited into my kethane tank. In addition, I also lose any converter options (eg I can't covert my pre-existing kethane into anything else), I have no right click options.

Full battery, solar panels extended, in the sun and this is happening. Any ideas to fix? I am not using Kethane on top of an old Kethane mod either.

Using a mac with latest versions of Kethane and KSP. Often when drilling into the surface of a planet/moon, I lose the ability to tell the drill to stop. Right clicking only tells me the status of the drill, and gives me no other option. At the same time, (while it is still drilling) no kethane is being deposited into my kethane tank. In addition, I also lose any converter options (eg I can't covert my pre-existing kethane into anything else), I have no right click options.

Make sure you're at 1x timewarp. KSP disables context menus at warp.

That doesn't seem to be the issue, unfortunately. I'm curious - can a certain location run out of Kethane? I'm only got like 9 units of kethane but it isn't filling up at all. I'm in the middle of a big green spot on the map that indicates Kethane but it just won't go past 9 units of Kethane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.