Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

The Kethane produced by the blender is already more than three times the mass of a Kerbal.

Alright, I'll be blunt. I asked how to change how much it gives, because of the specific reason that I've not lost a single kerbal yet, and if I do decide to kill a kerbal for an emergency - EMERGENCY ONLY - then I would love to get my kerbal's worth. Not just 150 units of kethane which can get me an extra 14 meters per second.

These are big ships, not multi-piece, orbital assembled vessels. Big...SSTO...ships. These are not assembled from those tiny orange LFO tanks, Majiir. Plus, why worry about it? I mean, I'm not asking you to change the coding or anything.

Alright, I'll be blunt. I asked how to change how much it gives, because of the specific reason that I've not lost a single kerbal yet, and if I do decide to kill a kerbal for an emergency - EMERGENCY ONLY - then I would love to get my kerbal's worth. Not just 150 units of kethane which can get me an extra 14 meters per second. These are big ships, not multi-piece, orbital assembled vessels. Big...SSTO...ships. These are not assembled from those tiny orange LFO tanks, Majiir.

My turn to be blunt: you're leaking self-importance and it's gross.

At perfect mass efficiency, a Kerbal would convert to 46.875 units of Kethane, not 150. You're already getting your "kerbal's worth" from it; in fact, you're getting at least three. The most efficient method to transport fuel in KSP is launching racks of seats filled with Kerbals and blending them up as needed. When that's the case, I hardly think the blender is in desperate need of a buff. You might not think it's worth blending up a Kerbal for 150 liters of Kethane, but that's a flaw in your decision-making process, not a flaw in my balancing strategy.

Plus, why worry about it? I mean, I'm not asking you to change the coding or anything.

Actually, you are.

Actually, the download link seems to be down for pretty much everyone, as evidenced here: http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.nabaal.net/files/kethane/Kethane-0.7.7.zip

I realize the github download works, but it's not a drag and drop installation through there and I honestly have no idea where I'd even begin to make it usable.

Only an active vessel can collect data.

Wish we could find out if that will get changed. Would make scanning alot easier to just drop a multi-probe launch vessel into orbit of a planet, launch them all, set them up, and go start prepping for the base to drop down.

Considering the amount of planning that goes into a base, you could do all the groundwork to the tune of the scanner blips. If you have a second computer, design and test all the components on that while scanning.

Or be daring and read a novel :P

I'm not sure if this has already been answered, but I didn't see anything in the most recent previous pages about it, what's the position of converting the part models to tga to save space? Kethane frequently jumps onto my personal mod uninstall list not because I don't like it (I love having this mod in fact), but 100mb for 15 parts is a bit much in the way of space.

Considering the amount of planning that goes into a base, you could do all the groundwork to the tune of the scanner blips. If you have a second computer, design and test all the components on that while scanning.

Or be daring and read a novel :P

I normally go take a nap or go to work while scanning a new planet. I'd like the ability to know that while I'm throwing the parts for the next base up into LKO, I know that Eve or whatever planet is being scanned. Those travel times can get pretty huge. (would also simplify it for me cause then I can just throw a probe at each body from the get go.)

I'm not sure if this has already been answered, but I didn't see anything in the most recent previous pages about it, what's the position of converting the part models to tga to save space? Kethane frequently jumps onto my personal mod uninstall list not because I don't like it (I love having this mod in fact), but 100mb for 15 parts is a bit much in the way of space.

You have to remember, it's not just 15 parts, but an entire plugin, a whole resource, and a bit extra on top of that. If it were just a part-pack, yea, 100 mb would be a little odd, but there's a lot more there.

You have to remember, it's not just 15 parts, but an entire plugin, a whole resource, and a bit extra on top of that. If it were just a part-pack, yea, 100 mb would be a little odd, but there's a lot more there.

I know that but everything except the parts folder is less than 1mb. That's including plugin, resource, sound everything but parts. It's the models for the parts that make up the 100mb.

Folks, size of mbm != size in memory! mbm, png, tga, it all gets read and compressed to DXT ingame, so the final size in memory won't differ no matter what format is on the disk. (With the exception of if what format is on the disk is already lossy, then it might get compressed tighter, because it'll have less detail to compress.)

And models take up next to no space, animated or not.

Again, the models _are not taking up lots of space and memory_. The limit for KSP that people talk about with "size" of mods is _memory_. And models aren't taking up much memory. What's taking up memory is the _textures_ for the models.

Novapunch uses pngs and tgas. Kethane uses mbms. See my previous post--mbms are uncompressed, of _course_ they take lots of space on disk. Try zipping one up; that's how big an equivalent resolution PNG would be on disk. But remember, image file type _does not_ have correspondence to KSP's memory use! Resolution does.

(With the exception of if what format is on the disk is already lossy, then it might get compressed tighter, because it'll have less detail to compress.)

Actually, lossy compression often introduces artifacts on decompression that weren't in the original. You might end up adding more "detail" than you lose that way...

Large models require extra processing power for the game which limits the other mods that can be used with it. And the models make up almost all of the space required for the Kethane. And just for comparison NovaPunch is about 200mb and it has well over a hundred parts.

Actually this is not accurate at all. A models size and poly count account very very little for a parts system resources used. Colliders and textures are what matter most to how much memory a part will use when loaded ingame.

A 20kpoly model that has only 2 box colliders will impact your system memeory less than a 200poly model with many advanced mesh colliders would.

As far as textures go MBM is popular because it loads faster. Best option thats KSP friendly right now for RAM saving is TGAcompressed.....it would PNG but theres an issue with that from Unity that makes it bad choice atm.

*le facepalm* As I said, these are not measly ships. I've edited nearly every needed file to get my "traveler's worth" out of necessary parts.

If I could figure out how to dig into the roots of the kethane mod's codes, I would find that, but people usually put that kidn of thing inside of part files, or similar. Though, now tha tI think of it, it kills a kerbal, not convert fuel to whatever.

I might need to get something like notepad c++ now.

thanks. Though, of course they muck it up with it's own scanner, making a scanner probe need twice as many bloody scanners running.

I'm thinking about testing out the ability to edit the Kethane scanners to allow them to scan both at once. Right now I redid the config and copied it over to my EL folder to allow for nicer looking parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.