Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Looks like the debug menu is a problem with my machine, got it going on a different machine with 0.5, sorry about that. :blush:

just testing out the new parts,

in 0.4.4 if the drill went underground where there wasn't kethane it wouldn't give you smoke.

noticed in 0.5 when there wasn't any kethane to mine, the drills still get the RCS / Smoke effect? (the heavy's should still spark regardless though :D)

also, the sections of drill bit below ground cast shadows on the surface, possibly a ksp problem??

Thanks again Majiir

rosenkranz: I use that trick myself (I think I figured it out for myself, just from understanding the problem). I was just describing the default situation. It's a bit of a tight squeeze, but it's doable even with Clampotron Jr ports, especially with the tri-hexagonal truss parts.

jrfuel.jpg

As far as I know, the only thing that blocks right-click transfers is the ships not being connected (because you can't right click the other ship's tanks).

Mihara: btw, thanks for the inspiration on the spherical tanks + landing legs. The design works well. The only problem I've had is I cut the launch delta-v a little close and had to do some gymnastics to get all three of my miners onto Minmus.

Show me... :)

Its not deployed atm, had issues with kethane and EPLP working, ended up doing clean install last night. But I will get you some pics soon as its rebuild bud. My initial testing I got 2k units of Kethane into LEveO with little fuss. Well, thing flew like a wet poo, but it was flyable to get in orbit.

It was basically a few tanks and 6 cirrus envelopes

Its not deployed atm, had issues with kethane and EPLP working, ended up doing clean install last night. But I will get you some pics soon as its rebuild bud. My initial testing I got 2k units of Kethane into LEveO with little fuss. Well, thing flew like a wet poo, but it was flyable to get in orbit.

It was basically a few tanks and 6 cirrus envelopes

Cool. waiting for it...

Time it took me to suck a deposit dry and get it to orbit: ~20 minutes, it's done in one landing and one launch.

Which is why I've gone the route of hacking the DLL to stop deposits from running dry in my game. I rather enjoy the benefits of having a permanent mining and conversion base on Ike.

Edit: That being said, it is not the first base I've built. I've even moved one to another location when its deposit ran dry. I just don't think I will ever want to do that again.

Edited by blizzy78

noticed in 0.5 when there wasn't any kethane to mine, the drills still get the RCS / Smoke effect? (the heavy's should still spark regardless though :D)

I had forgotten to add this to the main build and it's been fixed. That'll be included with the next update.

also, the sections of drill bit below ground cast shadows on the surface, possibly a ksp problem??

I haven't encountered this. Can you post a screenshot? What graphics settings are you running?

Kethane 0.5.1 has been released. The download link on the first post has been updated.

This update makes minor fixes and improvements. Current deposit locations and levels will be preserved. Scan maps will be preserved, but shading has changed (see below).

Changes in this version:

• Deposit shading was implemented incorrectly in the 0.5 release and has been corrected. Bright green indicates a large (by Kethane volume) deposit, and dark green indicates a small deposit. Existing scan maps will keep the old colors, and new scan dots will use the new colors.
  • Fixed an issue with deposit seeds for celestial bodies. Depending on the seed, this issue could cause many bodies to have the same deposit locations. This has been corrected for newly generated maps, and old maps will maintain their deposit locations.
  • Detector scan period now has a small (±1%) variation per frame. This has no effect on overall scan time but improves the use of multiple detectors by automatically staggering them.
  • Fixed an issue where gas clouds were incorrectly emitted when not over a Kethane deposit.
  • Extractor deploy/retract context menu buttons will reappear when the current action is finished.

Hey, I have a question that's been bugging me for quite a while. I just went through all of the pages and I didn't see it mentioned, so I thought I'd ask it.

Is there any reason why the maximum distances on the scanners are so large? I mean the big one is 1,200,000m! That's HUGE! I've tested out a couple of different scans and I can't tell any difference between scanning Kerbin at 80km or 1200km.

Is there a benefit I'm not seeing?

Hey, I have a question that's been bugging me for quite a while. I just went through all of the pages and I didn't see it mentioned, so I thought I'd ask it.

Is there any reason why the maximum distances on the scanners are so large? I mean the big one is 1,200,000m! That's HUGE! I've tested out a couple of different scans and I can't tell any difference between scanning Kerbin at 80km or 1200km.

Is there a benefit I'm not seeing?

Im new to this mod too, but yea i noticed that today. Said screw the large scanner. Let me know if that was a poor choice.

Im new to this mod too, but yea i noticed that today. Said screw the large scanner. Let me know if that was a poor choice.

A lot depends on more than just your orbital altitude when it comes to scanning, but it certainly can have an impact on scanning. Typicaly though with the game running in realtime its not gonna matter much...its when you start time warping your orbital altitude becomes really important factor. Even at slow warp speeds...x10 and x50, if your using a single large scanner your going to have HUGE gaps inbetween the dots it makes per pass if your orbit is really high. If you keep at the same warp speed, but decrease your orbital altitude then the spaceing between map dots will lessen as well.

Of course this is but one small aspect of getting a good mapping orbit. Velocity, altitude, inclination, and how many unique places you cross the equator during orbit will all play a factor to how effectively your map is being drawn by the scanner.

Basic rule of thumb I use for kethane scans:

Lots of scanners low n fast!

edit: just figured id add that I personaly only use the big scanner, better ping, easyer to get full scan resolution per pass in warp with em

Basic rule of thumb I use for kethane scans:

Lots of scanners low n fast!

Sooooo, the higher your orbit, the larger the gaps at time acceleration. Seems like a waste to have the range that large then. I don't know if the mod creator monitors these conversations, but what I'd do is tune the smaller radial one so that it's range is VERY limited, like 5000m or even 1000m, and make it for rovers or landers, just so you know you're in the right spot when you start drilling. Then keep the larger one for orbits, but cut it's altitude down to what the smaller one was to start with, 250,000m. That should be range enough for any of the planets and müns.

Sooooo, the higher your orbit, the larger the gaps at time acceleration. Seems like a waste to have the range that large then. I don't know if the mod creator monitors these conversations, but what I'd do is tune the smaller radial one so that it's range is VERY limited, like 5000m or even 1000m, and make it for rovers or landers, just so you know you're in the right spot when you start drilling. Then keep the larger one for orbits, but cut it's altitude down to what the smaller one was to start with, 250,000m. That should be range enough for any of the planets and müns.

Problem with that is it would make running multiple scanners kinda pointless, whereas now you can use multiple scanner setups to deal with timewarp loss of per pass resolution. Also having such a great range on the big scanners means you can start scanning sooner...not a big deal for kerbin orbit....but what about when your aerobraking Duna, Eve, or Lythe? Aerobraking can take a really long time to be done properly. Its nice to be able to be running the scanners during that period, even if you do cut out of range for a bit of the orbit.

Actually, I just had an idea. May I suggest a completely alternative scanning mechanic for such purposes? Burrowing explosive resonance scanners.

The scanning probe must land, upon which it either detaches or otherwise launches (or IS) a one-use-only device that burrows deep into the ground and then explodes. The seismic shockwave that specially tuned explosion produces is used as an acoustic radar pulse, revealing in detail all the surface kethane deposits in something like 200-300km radius -- possibly with level of detail being reduced with distance. This permits one to map an entire planetary body in terms of kethane in just a few uses of the device, but on the other hand, requires sending much more complicated (and heavier, since that device would probably weigh a few tons) and non-reusable survey missions.

That'd be a nice mechanic to have for resource prospecting, I think.

While I can see where you're coming from on the wait for the time to scan, I recall suggestions that the scan mechanic make use of the persistent universe, and extrapolate mapping data based on the passage of time irrespective of whether the flight is active. Might be complicated, and perhaps add some overhead to the loading of the mod in general, but I can't think of any reason offhand that would preclude that.

Kethane 0.5.1 has been released.

This update makes minor fixes and improvements. Current deposit locations and levels will be preserved. Scan maps will be preserved, but shading has changed (see below).

• Deposit shading was implemented incorrectly in the 0.5 release and has been corrected. Bright green indicates a large (by Kethane volume) deposit, and dark green indicates a small deposit. Existing scan maps will keep the old colors, and new scan dots will use the new colors.
  • Fixed an issue with deposit seeds for celestial bodies. Depending on the seed, this issue could cause many bodies to have the same deposit locations. This has been corrected for newly generated maps, and old maps will maintain their deposit locations

Is there a way to restart/replace your maps?

Sooooo, the higher your orbit, the larger the gaps at time acceleration. Seems like a waste to have the range that large then.

Don't be so quick to dismiss high-altitude scanning. Higher altitude means higher allowable time warp, and that can be important when scanning bodies like Moho which rotate very slowly. Additionally, the medium detector has a faster scan rate than the compact one. I'd like to get the detectors into balance, and the 0.4.4 patch made steps in that direction.

I recall suggestions that the scan mechanic make use of the persistent universe, and extrapolate mapping data based on the passage of time irrespective of whether the flight is active. Might be complicated, and perhaps add some overhead to the loading of the mod in general, but I can't think of any reason offhand that would preclude that.

This is a planned feature but it's a formidable technical and design challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.