Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

i think the arrows on the ones that look like the wrong way, is a bug...if youll notice a fuel line looks different at each end. and those look like they were attached to the converter first then run to the truss...the correct way....the arrows are just backwards

no the arrows are the right way round.

The reason they need to be back to front is a bit convoluted but makes sense to me (in a way!)

to produce fuel, the converter consumes kethane at a positive rate but fuel/oxidizer/mono at a negative rate, you'll see the values being "consumed" at a negative rate (i.e. -2.4, same as when electric recharges or an engine is generating it)

so just imagine the converter's an engine when you connect it up rather than a source tank.

simplest solution for me though,

slap the large converter above a keth tank and below a fuel tank, then make lines as normal from the fuel tank / use crossfeed capable parts and use TAC fuel balancer to transfer out the receiving tank.

Does Kethane run out in certain spots? Or is there a bug where a Kethane tank cant be filled properly. I have a large kethane tank on the mun over what was/is a kethane deposit I use drills to try to extract the kethane but it wont fill up, the tank is half full but it wont go past 9000, the drills make contact because they start to drain my electrical charge. If this sounds familiar please help.

I'm running into this too, I can't even fill a 3.5m LFO tank before the deposit "runs out" or something happens to interrupt the flow of kethane. Power is good, drill is good, literally nothing has changed and it just stops producing kethane.

Deposits do run out. When you find that a deposit has stopped producing, move to another deposit then run your scanner again you should notice the previous area as it is flown over again will start to disappear in each pass.

Is there a way to modify how much kethane the deposits hold? It just seems really low to me.

my new mun drilling program. two mobile rigs that link up to the transfer vehicle to deposit their kethane. Transfer vehicle then converts a small amount for its fuel tank and then takes the rest up to the orbital refinery. Ta da!!

SsXFkHC.jpg

Is there a way to modify how much kethane the deposits hold? It just seems really low to me.

yeah im hoping the author is paying attention...it does seem really low amount to be running out seeing as how a big one on the mun for me only filled my tanker 5 times before it ran out(32000 each time)...seems a site that size should have lasted alot longer

There is a Kethane debug tool somewhere that allows you to regen deposits and the like. Not sure where but I have seen it before.

I found the debugger and was able to re-establish my deposit.

Is there a way to increase the width of the scanner something along the same lines as what the ISA scanner does so I can scan a planet faster?

I found the debugger and was able to re-establish my deposit.

Is there a way to increase the width of the scanner something along the same lines as what the ISA scanner does so I can scan a planet faster?

I think to change the width of the scanner would require modding the plugin DLL file and I have no experience in doing that kind of thing so its out of my league.

I think to change the width of the scanner would require modding the plugin DLL file and I have no experience in doing that kind of thing so its out of my league.

Yea same here, but i hate having inaccurate/incomplete maps, hopefully someone has done it and is either willing to share or at least point me in the right direction, I don't mind a little experimenting if it gets me accurate maps.

Where did you find the debugger?

If you google "kethane debugger download" its the second option down (https://github.com/Majiir/Kethane/downloads) from there click on the zip file that says debugger which at the moment is the second file from the top of the list. The install is no different than any other part file.

After that you just slap the part on your ship land it where you want it to generate the new patches of kethane and go to it. I had a bit of trouble with getting it to generate a patch of kethane on "my location" which is the bottom option so I just had it generate new patches over the whole surface of the Mun until one appeared under my mining site and away I went.

However now I have a completely inaccurate map, and good kethane maps are very time consuming to generate... hence my pet pev.

Any time I try to launch a ship with a kethane detector the launch pad never loads and my game gets stuck staring into empty space. I know others have had this problem and seem to have been fixed but for the life of me I can't find what anyone did to fix it. I'm only attaching 1 detector onto it and I have even tested it with just a command capsule and a detector and it still does this so its not mechjeb or another plugin. I've checked through this and the original thread and if theres a solution spelled out there then can someone at least point me to it. Thank you.

Be sure you have the latest version of the mod. updated download link in the very first post on first page of thread. Also if you are putting a ISA mapping dish on it as well you need to turn the mapping function off. Best way to do that is slap a dish on a cube probe with a single battery and put it on the launch pad then turn it off from the ISA menu (icon in lower left corner near the staging controls). don't turn mapping on until your actually in orbit and turn it off when your not flying said probe. It can and will cause hiccups in the game.

I'm running KSP on Debian Wheezy, which means I really have no expectations that anyone has run into this before, but has anyone else seen a huge increase in the instability of KSP when running it with the Kethane mod?

After I installed Kethane, I crashed out of KSP all the time in the launchpad or in space, but after I've uninstalled it, I've gone back to "normal".

I'm currently quite psyched about this mod, and got a space station with a mining lander as well as a converter\storage module in orbit around the mun.

However, i have no flipping idea how to figure out where to land. I understand that the map is a stretched version of the mun's surface, but without mechjeb or other mods, how do i convert that knowledge and\or coordinates into a spot on the surface where i can land? Preferably doable via maneuver points.

A few questions. I can't seem to get that math right, because I constantly get confused about units involved... But someone surely has already computed all that.

Let us say we have a Medium Converter, and N drills continually running.

1. Let us turn on conversion into liquidfuel, oxidizer and monopropellant simultaneously. How large does N have to be, to mine kethane faster than the converter can convert it?

2. Just how much electriccharge would the entire system consume constantly per second?

I'm running 4 drills on my rig, using the small converter and if I have all 3 running at the same time it won't keep up. I recommend filling the Kethane tank first, refilling your ships fuel supply them topping the tank off again. It's not the most efficient thing in the world but its the best I have come up with.

It's not the most efficient thing in the world but its the best I have come up with.

I'm not particularly looking for efficiency as much as I'm looking to reduce mass and number of parts, while at the same time not wasting any kethane, which is a limited resource. :) Doing that correctly requires understanding the consumption rate of the convertor, which I currently don't.

I have an effective kethane mining setup, but it consists of four ships -- one lander for personnel, one automated driller ship, with eight drills and consisting mostly of kethane tanks, one automated processor ship with generators and the convertor, and a tanker. When all four land, the personnel connects them by KAS cables, sets up the TAC fuel balancer to suck fuel out of the convertor's tanks, and starts the show. Within a munar day, the tanker is inevitably full.

However, while the setup works, I can't get rid of the impression that it's massively overkill, and it also produces horrendous physical lag, which slows time at least double, making it a pain to work with. The ships are also annoying to launch, most weighing in a 40+ tons. A simple convertor probe on Minmus has been able to refuel ships while only weighing in at 15 tons, but it's using the smaller convertor, which (at least from the description) wastes kethane -- it's good as an emergency measure, but probably not what I want to keep using.

So I'm trying to figure out a two ship setup -- a manned driller/converter and a tanker - and work out exactly how few drills and how little electric charge I can get away with. :)

I'm not particularly looking for efficiency as much as I'm looking to reduce mass and number of parts, while at the same time not wasting any kethane, which is a limited resource. :) Doing that correctly requires understanding the consumption rate of the convertor, which I currently don't.

I have an effective kethane mining setup, but it consists of four ships -- one lander for personnel, one automated driller ship, with eight drills and consisting mostly of kethane tanks, one automated processor ship with generators and the convertor, and a tanker. When all four land, the personnel connects them by KAS cables, sets up the TAC fuel balancer to suck fuel out of the convertor's tanks, and starts the show. Within a munar day, the tanker is inevitably full.

However, while the setup works, I can't get rid of the impression that it's massively overkill, and it also produces horrendous physical lag, which slows time at least double, making it a pain to work with. The ships are also annoying to launch, most weighing in a 40+ tons. A simple convertor probe on Minmus has been able to refuel ships while only weighing in at 15 tons, but it's using the smaller convertor, which (at least from the description) wastes kethane -- it's good as an emergency measure, but probably not what I want to keep using.

So I'm trying to figure out a two ship setup -- a manned driller/converter and a tanker - and work out exactly how few drills and how little electric charge I can get away with. :)

I have been using the smaller converter on my miner, but I'm looking to change as well. I have a 2 station 3 ship setup right now. A station around the mun which can hold fuel and kethane (has a converter on the station) I normally only add kethane to the station on my last extraction from a site before I move on. I have a 2nd lander which is just to haul fuel from the surface to the Mun orbiting station. finally I have a tanker that stays in orbit that hauls finished fuel from the mun station to the Kerbin station. I use the Quantum Fuel transfer mod instead of using the KAS. I use this mod because I found that once I establish a link between two ships, if I don't turn it off I can launch off load, and return and the link between the ships will still be active and I can start transferring fuel between them again.

I am redesigning my miner to make it more conversion friendly, been using the small converter and not liking the overall results. But given how quickly deposits can be depleted I still think having a relaunchable miner to move it to a new field is a better option than a permanent ground based one. I saw Scott Manley move his ground based setup just 30k distance and it was a chore and a half.

Actually I had the same problem. I created a mobile conversion station... 3 tankers... a drilling rig which was just 6 kethane drills hooked up to the biggest kethane storage tank, a power/converter which was mostly batteries, solar panels, and large kethane converters, and a storage tanker... which stored the fuel. A drop ship to land the parts on the Mun, and a cargo ship to ferry the fuel into orbit. This lagged me to all hell.

So I abandoned it and picked another kethane deposit on the opposite side of the Mun. I used the part generator mod to create a tank that could hold everything. I used that to replace my cargo ship and storage tanker, then modified my driller to add a converter. Although my approch has 2 main components its far less impressive then the main station I created... all in the interest of being able to set up bases on other planets... this one does the same but it takes longer, my tankers were driven by a need to make a mobile base since i prefer to land my ships under my own power.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.