[0.17] Nanobots Awry Scenario

Rich

This scenario introduces random failures to your ships, in what is essentially the same as the sandbox mode of the game. The aim of this is to add an extra layer of difficulty, by requiring the player to design craft which are able to withstand failures, for the duration of common objectives such as landing on the Mun.

hEOL4rq.png

Features

• Part specific probabilities for explosions.
  • Part specific probabilities for parts detaching.
  • Fuel leaks.
  • Probability of failure scales with the size of the craft
  • User modifiable failure rates

The default difficulty is far too high and is for demonstration purposes only. This can be reduced by altering the values in KSP/PluginData/kgss-scenario/config.xml, specifically by lowering FAILURE_PROBABILITY from 0.5 to 0.01

This is still a work in progress so any bug reports and suggestions are welcome :D

Download and installation instructions can be found here

Edited by Rich

Neato! So have you got any suggestions for fail-proof rockets? I'm thinking maybe some redundant radially mounted engines on decouplers, so if one falls off or breaks, you can decouple the one just opposite of it.

Also, are the failures going to happen with equal probability each physics tick? do they happen while warping? Are they triggered by special events like throttling up or turning on sas?

Neato! So have you got any suggestions for fail-proof rockets? I'm thinking maybe some redundant radially mounted engines on decouplers, so if one falls off or breaks, you can decouple the one just opposite of it.

This depends on the settings you use in the config file, certainly your suggestion for redundant engines will work.

Also, are the failures going to happen with equal probability each physics tick? do they happen while warping? Are they triggered by special events like throttling up or turning on sas?

The tick frequency and the failure probability per tick can be adjusted in the config file, but is adjusted based on the size of your rocket, more parts => higher probability of failure.

Currently failures will happen at warp, but I intent to reduce the frequency or disable failures entirely.

I like the idea of potentially initiating failure on special events, thanks for the idea :D

Oh very very nice,would it be possible to make repairs?

Can things like solar storms be added to temporarily block communication satellite for things like remote tech or making the crew sick and slowing response times?

This is great, I'll give this a try.

Thanks for doing this.

Oh very very nice,would it be possible to make repairs?

Can things like solar storms be added to temporarily block communication satellite for things like remote tech or making the crew sick and slowing response times?

Repairs is something I will be looking at for another scenario which is being developed in parallel to this. So I will probably include it in this one assuming it is successful.

Part specific failures are already possible, but integration into any particular plugins such as mechjeb would need to be looked at.

As for sick crew, we will have to see how the IVA component of the game develops.

Repairs is something I will be looking at for another scenario which is being developed in parallel to this. So I will probably include it in this one assuming it is successful.

Part specific failures are already possible, but integration into any particular plugins such as mechjeb would need to be looked at.

As for sick crew, we will have to see how the IVA component of the game develops.

Hmmmmm, i've always wondered what colour their vom...... eeehhh ..... never mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.