Red Bull Stratos, Felix has landed!

kacperrutka26

We don't know whether he broke the speed of sound, I'm pretty sure it was short but inform me if I am wrong.

Also, congratulations to Felix and the team at Mission Control.

He did break the speed of sound, if I recall correctly his maximum velocity was around 730mi/h. He did not however break the record for longest freefall.

He did break the speed of sound, if I recall correctly his maximum velocity was around 730mi/h. He did not however break the record for longest freefall.

Ah OK then, well we are just waiting for official conformation now I guess on the records he got.

I watched it for about an hour, god that was epic!

I watched it from the start, it was getting annoying towards the end with everyone else jumping on and clogging everything up.

Edited by mustwinfull

Eh, neh...well, it's darn cool. The only thing that bugs me about the whole escapade is who was doing the funding, but it's not like a drink franchise has much interest in it than the advertising on something cool, and they seem to be keeping their claws off the science as a result.

Hell, I'm just glad the human race has these types in it still. Taking some risks like this push us forward, and he proved that it's possible for a human to (more-or-less) re-enter from orbit. A squishy human. I have to wonder if it's at all possible to slap a small SAS unit onto the suit so that there'd be some automatic control of angular momentum in stratosphere so there's less of a chance of turning the squishy meatbag into red pasty sauce.

Hell, I'm just glad the human race has these types in it still. Taking some risks like this push us forward, and he proved that it's possible for a human to (more-or-less) re-enter from orbit. A squishy human.

Please ! A freefall at Mach 1 is levels of magnitude easier than reentering at Mach 20. You would need a serious rocket to deorbit and lose as much of the speed as possible before reentry, then some kind of TPS and a rigid suit or capsule or else you would be ripped apart and toast, and then some sort of attitude control system to keep your TPS properly oriented.

I have to wonder if it's at all possible to slap a small SAS unit onto the suit so that there'd be some automatic control of angular momentum in stratosphere so there's less of a chance of turning the squishy meatbag into red pasty sauce.

SAS is Kerbal-speak for a gyroscopic flywheel. That would be heavy!

I figured someone would come along and try to pick-apart what I said. That's why I prefaced everything with conditional phrases ("more-or-less" and "I have to wonder"). Joke's on you, silly.

As for the terminology mix-up, yes, I'm referring to flywheels, yes, it'd be heavy (that's rather the point, but as long as you can get out the door...). That, and I haven't slept in two days, so forgive me for referring to a KSP term on a KSP forum when I'm talking about reaction wheels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.