Least delta v to orbit

Simple challenge, the person who uses the least delta v to get to a 100km (tolerence of 5km) orbit wins.

RULES:

Mechjeb/Mods that measure Delta v are the only mods allowed

You must not use any glitch to aid in getting to orbit

Command pod must be manned

Pics or it didn't happen

BONUS:

Return to Kerbin after orbiting, delta v is calculated by how much fuel it took to get into orbit, not the total for orbiting and returning(but you must prove that you returned)

ORBIT TABLE:

1.foamyesque - 4532 m/s

ORBIT & RETURN TABLE:

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by CrossyCriss

• 7 months later...

I've broken the record by 4m/s, after a dozen launches. For the longest time I was 3-4m/s behind the record. This is a fairly basic rocket, I just tweaked some setting in mechjeb after testing one percent at a time. As you can see I start with 4672m/s ÃŽâ€v:

Kspfuelrecord1.png

Then, FINALLY, I end up with 144m/s ÃŽâ€v after orbit circularization. I hit disengage after I met the 5km wiggle room criteria:

Kspfuelrecord2.png

4672-144=4528

Yes, these are two different launches, but they are with the same rocket. Does this count? I can always relaunch.

Edited by Mocha2007

it counts as necro :)

but hey, these challenges are evergreen, we may as well restart this.

two things:

1. with mechjeb, you can enable "delta-v expended" from the "recorder" tab in custom window editor

2. you can go lower than that - aim for 4400 m/s

Why do so many people completely ignore post dates when replying to these ancient threads? This delta-V to orbit challenge is also exploitable in the current drag model by throwing on lots of low-drag parts, aerospikes and RCS blocks and such.

This delta-V to orbit challenge is also exploitable in the current drag model by throwing on lots of low-drag parts, aerospikes and RCS blocks and such.

You COULD start a new challenge that avoids those problems... Maybe an updated version of this challenge: Optimal Ascent Profile for this spacecraft. I'd participate. I just don't have time to host it.

Why do so many people completely ignore post dates when replying to these ancient threads? This delta-V to orbit challenge is also exploitable in the current drag model by throwing on lots of low-drag parts, aerospikes and RCS blocks and such.

I figured newer posts were deleted in the april fuss.

I figured newer posts were deleted in the april fuss.

They were, which sucks. I'm glad the old threads are still around for viewing, but the game has changed a fair amount and people who were active on the forums over 6 months ago might not all be around anymore. Doesn't hurt to make a new post with a link to old versions of the same basic challenge, but I'd personally prefer if the old threads were all mass-locked.

There's a lot of questions for this challenge.

SRBs don't seem to show up on Mechjeb's Delta-V meaning I could take a SRB to high altitude and expend a little less than 3k Delta-V for the orbit turn. should SRBs be outlawed?

Also, What is the target orbit? Everyone is going for whatever orbit they can get rather than a target that would even the playing field. Extremely skilled pilots can get into a circular 85km orbit and use less Delta-V because of that. others, however, would likely waste Delta-V on correction burns

I Achieved 100 km orbit with 1528 DV.

At the air strip, ready for take off. DV - 1908

screenshot35_zpsca62d48b.jpg~original

Apoapsis 100 km reached

screenshot38_zps0a0c23d7.jpg~original

Releasing fairings before circularization, conforming to Clean Space Act. :D

screenshot39_zpsd93f7ce7.jpg~original

Deploying fully functional satellite at 100 km orbit. DV left - 380

screenshot42_zpsb38b1ba6.jpg~original

Deorbited and approaching KCS.

screenshot44_zps5d903b64.jpg~original

landed safely.

screenshot45_zpsb6078068.jpg~original

Hey guys.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread for the time being because, yeah, it's about 7 odd months old. I doubt the OP will be maintaining the leaderboards or answering any participant questions.

Don't fret! Like the competition? Feel free to write up a new one! Also, that would give the opportunity to get the mod restrictions worked out, etc. (Please remember to take a look [thread=24898]here[/thread] if you haven't)