[v1.1] Lunar Lander Parts

NovaSilisko

landerdiagram.png

This is a set of lander parts, containing several components for, as can be assumed, landers.

I made these originally for SIDR, but that pack is getting way too big and I'm going to begin branching off.

Download v1.1!

Changelog:

v1.1:

Prefixed all parts with SI_

Tweaked engine forces and weights to balance them more for a moon landing

v1.0:

Initial release

ss20110908215558.jpg

(Capsule and upper decoupler from SIDR. Lander parts are compatible with the vanilla parts as well.)

Cool. I assume that using this for simulated Mun landings on Kerbin would probably require the use of parachutes to eliminate at least some of Kerbin's gravity now, since we can't really pull the trick that was done with the LLTV...

The only landing I managed to do broke the light decoupler - nothing exploded so I consider it a success.

Basically, free-fall until you are at 1100 (above the spacepad, at least) and then hit the engine on full and you should decelerate enough to not explode. Any lower than 1100 will generally kill you.

Check out CaptSlug's Assorted Hardware thread, and the Payload Fairing Set with 1.75, 2m and 3m bulkhead's and fairings. The SIDRs lunar lander will fit in the 3m bulkhead. I use a second descent fuel tank as a spacer to allow the Lander to easily attach to the bulkhead.

I think if this is going to be a little more reliable you need to be able to instantly cut power to the engine rather than throttle down. Otherwise your timing has to be perfect or you will either crash from gaining too much speed or bounce off the surface in a random direction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.