Get to Duna Using Mechjeb

Can someone give me instructions on what to put in on the Mechjeb computer for a Mission to Duna? And also,

Can you supply me with a design capable of getting to Duna and back to Kerbin? Im not good at making rockets :P Thanks!

-Nicolas411

First, place your orbit into an escape trajectory from Kerbin. Once you are in Kerbol's SoI, go to your 'Orbital Operations' and go to transfer - Duna, place your Periapsis ~8 KM. The drag from the atmosphere of Duna should put you into an orbit of Duna. If you wish to remain in orbit, go to your new apoapsis, and burn prograde until your periapsis is over 60 KM.

Happy Flying! -Dakota

So you want to use a rocket someone else designed, on a flight path someone else figured out, flown by autopilot?

Why not just find a youtube video? :P

no single trip is unique, it would be a very good way to teach the game to people

No one has a rocket design for me though? And How long do I burn to get a Kerbin Escape? Im Still a noob :P

Press M to bring up the map. Do your burn there. When you see your orbit freak out and not be an ellipse anymore, you're on a Kerbin escape trajectory.

No one has a rocket design for me though? And How long do I burn to get a Kerbin Escape? Im Still a noob :P

Mechjeb is good for teaching, and I absolutely love it, but try not to do your first ANYTHING with mechjeb's autopilots or another person's design, it absolutely destroys the excitement of the moment.

However, the Smart A.S.S. is quite good, and I don't have anything against it, SAS and ASAS sometimes just don't do the job.

If your still a noob, practice your skills! Try getting heavier and heavier things into space, test your landers at KSC, run Mun landing missions, then try some Minmus landings. Even seeing how far you can shoot a spaceship into space is good practice.

Anyhow, to answer your question, it's somewhere around 3000 m/s

Edited by lucidLemon

I only can agree with lucidLemon! Don't use the autopilot! It just ruins the fun! When I landed at Minmus I did almost everything manually (Smart ASS is a help for prograde / retrograde corrections so I use it always when flying to any celestial body). And I was happy like a 6 year old on christmas!

Try stuff out, read tutorials, try more stuff out, kill dozens of Kerbals, try more stuff out, kill more Kerbals and fail more often than you succeed! Then you will be invincible *evil laugh*

I have to agree with the guy's above me. This game can be VERY hard, frustrating and at times soul-destroying! When I started in .13 I knew absolutely nothing and it took me forever to get my first mun landing. But I refused to give in and still to this day I refuse to use mechjeb (personal choice). I'm now able to fly, land and return my boy's safely from Duna in a ship I have created:). It can be a long road but the personal gratification is something you just won't get doing it the way your thinking of doing it. You'll get it, just give it time.

5 years? I once spent 20 years trying to get to Duna cos i missed it on my first pass, then just as I get into near Orbit, I realise I havent the fuel for it.

Suffice to say the ship got re-ejected and sent deep into space, it hit Jool square in the chops.

This works for me:

- Ascent

- Circularize

- Wait until Kerbin is roughly between Kerbol and Mun (OR Minmus).

- Transfer burn to Mun (or Minmus)

- Abort transfer, burn manually until you "overshoot" Mun (or Minmus)

- Escape Kerbin, you are now in circular orbit around Kerbol.

- Transfer to Duna.

- Land on Duna.

- Profit.

99% Mechjeb :D

I keep missing Eve, I did however managed to land a space shuttle on Duna

Little trickier, but basically the same:

This works for me:

- Ascent

- Circularize

- Wait until Mun (OR Minmus) is roughly between Kerbol and Kerbin.

- Transfer burn to Mun (or Minmus)

- Abort transfer, burn manually until you "overshoot" Mun (or Minmus)

- Escape Kerbin, you are now in circular orbit around Kerbol.

- Lower Periapsis to between Kerbol and Eve.

- Circularize.

- Transfer to Eve.

- Land on Eve.

- Profit.

90% Mechjeb :D

Problem Is what type of rocket do I build!? I need a .craft file! Im not good at Designing! I used NovaPunch .crafts to land on the moon! Help!

Put a parachute on the pod and replace the engine of the transfer stage with a NERVA and I'm almost sure you are ready to go! :cool:

Basically you need a powerful enough rocket to reach 2800m/s in a vertical direction for Kerbin. The rest you could do with the weakest engine possible unless it takes several months of real-time to get the delta-v required, which from Kerbin to Duna is usually a mere 500-700m/s. NERVA can do that easily, and provided getting back isn't on the agenda your entire passage from initially entering Kerbol's orbit to landing on Duna can be done with the same rocket and some parachutes. 2 or 3 of the bigger 1m stock fuel tanks and a basic stock engine can do it.

As for the mechjeb part:

- [No mechjeb] Escape Kerbin: Easiest way is probably just to go upwards with SAS on

- [Mechjeb] Switch to the "Orbital Operations" tab, select "TRANS" and hit "Duna"

- Wait

- Watch rocket perform injection burn, changing stages manually if necessary

- Mechjeb transfers to course correction

- Wait

- Course correction - Sometimes takes ages

- Once the display says ANY final periapsis has been reached, disengage the operation

- Warp to Duna

- Once you're within a reasonable distance of it (i.e. when you can see it below you) change the periapsis to a negative number

- Wait for rocket to do that

- Open landing autopilot and hit "Land"

- Wait

- Landed...

Not exactly accurate or even the best way, but that's how I do it :D