Build a SPACE CARRIER

Well here is my sorta submission just to show you guys that it is theoretically possible.

qPSwl.png

The reason for sorta is because I just can't seem to figure out how the docking works :P

Hey what mod is that the ORDA

Question: how stable are these radially mounted docking ports. I tried building a ship that would carry four landing craft docked radially to the main vessel, as soon I began to rotate the main ship with the rcs thrusters the docked ship broke off. I can't imagine how they would stay on when you fire up the engines.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

First time Poster, long time creeper.

Here is my entry, the Reliant Class. It's a take on Macey Dean's

It uses the B9 Aerospace and Romfarer's Sunbeam and Guided Weapons mods.

It was boosted into a 124km orbit legitimately. It can carry in its hangar:

6 Seraphim Fighters each armed with 2 lasers, 2 Lance torpedo boats, 2 automated tugs and a load of torpedoes.

Two additional docking ports are located aft to accommodate refuelling shuttles.

Right now there is only 2 Seraphim fighters aboard. More to come later.

The ship itself is armed with 6 laser cannons hidden in the hull. 3 top-side, 3 on the bottom. When not in use, the hatches cover the cannons.

The Crew can leave their fighters and relax in its "spacious" accommodation (Crew accommodation at the back of the hangar).

QS5rPfh.jpg

aUp05zi.jpg

7vh90H0.jpg

2JcxdC8.jpg

FwvdtmH.jpg

azrc5Kz.jpg

E31CmMf.jpg

eN3Yp64.jpg

OwMoZje.jpg

QM1vvEr.jpg

jgeb9iL.jpg

ZZSwwqu.jpg

Edited by Wildcard

Introducing the Eagleray carrier. This time, it carried useless, horrible piece of equipment (seriously: **** the space scooter. I need to make something better than that), but it still is a craft. Anyhoo: for a more complete explanation: link is in my signature.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'd say that I get 50 points for stock ascent, 60 for reaching duna, and while it carries three crafts with it, I only redocked one of them. Hrm... I really should be a dedicated carrier version of this.

EDIT: Hrm.. Just noticed that this is a necroed thread...

ooh, I got an old ship entry for this...

Kerbin Anchorage:

1185311_327777404024930_544608672_n.jpg

Docking for 8 fighters

LOX: 33.6T

Fuel: 27.5T

Monopropellant: 8.7T

Max. Electrical Output: 57.7KW

Part Count: 867

(if I remember right, this has a crew capacity of something like 28 not including spaceplanes?)

Capable of crossranging FROM any point in the system TO any point in the system! Completely modular construction, there is space there as it sits for two more fuel/monoprop tugs to hang on as they're drained! Low surface TWR ratio means that anything docked to it will remain docked under full thrust. As needs must, the solar array can be switched out for something with a slightly lower part count (the array on its own has nearly 450 parts!) - like a nuclear reactor!

...and my SSTO spaceplanes which are by themselves capable of Munar orbit:

622655_330029413799729_607577091_o.jpg

...one a bit less obvious which can actually LAND on Mun:

1040252_319296144873056_2125547414_o.jpg

Work In Progress: The carrier + six fighters below are stock and work very well. As a unit they have single thrust or combined thrust modes and instead of armor this carrier depends on sensors / comms to stay at range (note the good level of thrust, large amount of delta-v for outmaneuvering the enemy and the numerous electronic warfare gear plus a Combat Information Center to allow unit coordination fed by all that sensor info / jamming). Note that the forward transit shield is less armor and more a navigational deflector shield.

The fighters themselves work like a charm (lots of delta-v, lots of EW, maunverable and capable of strafing with 8 devastating shots). The ordinance may not look impressive until you think about how relative velocity between fighter and target can be huge). The carrier has one ordinance reload for each fighter and carries more than enough fuel for resupply.

.... Mr. Jeb! Scamble Kobras and get Mr. Bill to the CIC! ...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: When this is ready I will post on my project thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67002-Visions-of-2070

The carrier itself is modular so more fuel stack or another Hab might be in order given the crew of 10 currently needs to share bunks (since the CIC doesn't count as a proper place to live). I am starting all my desgins from stock but some mods will come in an optional config. Likely mods are using inflatable habitats, non-standard drives and of course adding thermal radiators.

Edited by Top8

Hi all,

Here is an update to my Carrier entry.

The Reliant is receiving its first Lancer Torpedo boat. The Torpedoes are Romfarer's guided missiles mounted on a disposable rack that can be manipulated by a utility tug to reload the boat.

Enjoy!

KW0yAMP.jpg

EY5QdeU.jpg

9RCXdph.jpg

nIsbn65.jpg

Here's a carrier I didn't fly. I was feeling a bit lazy but thought maybe one of you wants to take her for a spin. The ship has over 7k dV in the final stage, though it may lose a chunk of that finalizing the orbit due to the TWR being a bit low towards the end. It carries 18 probes that are each fully capable of flying to other planets on their single ion engine and ultralight design.

wjAyLbG.jpg

I was able to launch it, but didn't get past about 15km before the Kraken ate it. Might need joint reinforcement mod.

uvQcHuP.png

And here's the craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22m4e28j09rnxxc/Carrier%20-%2018%20Ion%20Probes.craft

100% stock

• 6 months later...

I ve got this one that could carry up to 4 of the small SSTOs u can see with the red cockpit. I use it for large missions such like Jool 5 or similar so it usually carries rovers and landers and just one SSTO. The front part of the ship is a Eve capable lander (choose your mountain wisely) that might be substituted to carry more planes.

YhDEeNO.png

If you don't specify any requirements for the small crafts, other than "being able to move around a bit on its own", then anyone could score loads of points by carrying loads of MMUs. Just add 24 of them to any stock Mun orbiter, easy 310 points.

• 1 year later...

I built this carrier a while ago and thought I should share it.

It is the Jebibo, a Jebibo Class Medium Military Carrier. (It is named in honor of Jebediah, Bill and Bob.)

It is stock and has 5000 m/s of delta v and carries four of my Swarm Class Fighter Drones. I currently have not built a launcher for it so I hyperedited it up.

QQHHtlr.pngGdHz7G8.png

View from inside its hanger.e1p5JUb.png

Going by the point system on the first page, the Jebibo has 100 points.

Edited by CrypticCross345

I built this carrier a while ago and thought I should share it.

It is the Jebibo, a Jebibo Class Medium Military Carrier. (It is named in honor of Jebediah, Bill and Bob.)

It is stock and has 5000 m/s of delta v and carries four of my Swarm Class Fighter Drones. I currently have not built a launcher for it so I hyperedited it up.

http://i.imgur.com/QQHHtlr.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/GdHz7G8.png

View from inside its hanger.http://i.imgur.com/e1p5JUb.png

Going by the point system on the first page, the Jebibo has 100 points.

HOLY NECRO OF NECROS BATMAN!

This challenge is from 2012!

Best to let sleeping threads lie in this case. Anyone wishing to revive this challenge may feel free to do so in a new thread, so that everyone has a level playing field with all the changes that the game has gone through since this thread was first started.