Earth-sized planet found orbiting Alpha Centauri B

NovaSilisko

Oh God PANDORA?

Strictly speaking no - Pandora was a moon of a gas giant. And while we have yet to discover an extrasolar moon, if you're looking for Pandora I would like to point you to Kepler-47, which has a gas giant in the habitable zone, and could potentially be host to a moon with an atmosphere, liquid water, aliens and what have you.

Edited by Borklund

Ladies and gentlemen, we now have a compelling case for pushing development of the ion drive.

A confirmed planetary system close enough that, even factoring in R&D times, we could send an unmanned probe to map and get useful data back from *within our lifetimes*, without any bleeding-edge physics!

Ladies and gentlemen, we now have a compelling case for pushing development of the ion drive.

A confirmed planetary system close enough that, even factoring in R&D times, we could send an unmanned probe to map and get useful data back from *within our lifetimes*, without any bleeding-edge physics!

Um, don't we already use ion drives all the time? If you mean something like VASMIR, I think that's more useful for interplanetary missions than interstellar ones, to get to this planet within our lifetimes I would think we would need some kind of antimatter-nuclear engine. Unless you're talking about a different kind of ion drive than those I'm familiar with.

only thing is wait a min...

do we age slower on earth or space

or faster on earth or space

THAT MEANS.....

epic FTL drive unmanned test YES!

Too bad special relativity would get in the way. It takes and infinite amount of energy to go the speed of light.

Too bad special relativity would get in the way. It takes and infinite amount of energy to go the speed of light.

...I thought FTL meant moving space around a bubble. So therotically your not going faster than light, your pretty much not moving AT ALL. Just moving the space around you to get to your destination.

However, light speed using chemicals or other sorts, would probably apply to what you just said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.